Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Weight Loss Questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
afranciscan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote afranciscan

AnaB, I really sympathize with your situation. I wish I had some expertise to offer but I only have experience with my own health concerns and self-education so I don't know how much value that would have to you.

What I did at the beginning of the year was start on the Body Ecology diet:
http://www.amazon.com/Body-Ecology-Diet-Recovering-Rebuildin g/dp/B000I9MGU0/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-8946197-4863311?ie=UTF8&s=h pc&qid=1192749306&sr=1-2

The main idea in balancing the body ph is that there needs to be plentiful good bacteria in the digestive track. They claim that the diet will help many of the symptoms that you are struggling with. My own list of problem symptoms is a little different and the diet made a world of difference to me - including 45lb weight loss.

I hesitate to direct people to the Body Ecology website because it is so commercial and I'm afraid they wont get past the pushing of Body Ecology products. The book is much better and gives more do-it-yourself types of ideas on attaining ideal health. The products are not necessary at all but would sure be convenient at times. I have only used the veggie culture starter.

BE might seem too extreme of a change to most people - unless they were desperate and motivated by big health concerns. It came at just the right time for me. I had already had experience with raw foods, colon cleansing, macrobiotics, Blood Type diet and I knew some about the Nourishing Traditions type of diet. Body Ecology seems to take the best of these approaches and make them very doable and effective.

Here is something I just took from their website:
"The Body Ecology system of health and healing is one whose many facets can take years to master, yet these basic principles can be easily understood and followed. They comprise three simple dietary transitions that can have a profound impact on how you feel:

* The addition of cultured foods to your diet
    * Changing the quality of fats and oils you consume
    * Drastically reducing your intake of carbohydrates and sugars"

There is much, much more in the book! One of the things I liked is that she says that everyone's practice of the diet will look a little different. I really don't believe in a one-size fits all diet so this gave it more credibility to me from the start.

Check out the newsletter archive if you want more info right away but be wary of product-pushing:

Body Ecology

One thing that the diet did not change for me is what seems to be secondary infertility. I really expected to be pregnant in the spring! My cycles did become totally normal with no PMS - but still annovulatory. I think at 37 I'm too young for this to be completely normal. So another book that I read parts of and found helpful (that could be helpful to you) is What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause.

Just one last thing. I had been praying for years for help with my attachment to food and the ability to do what I knew I needed to do to have good health. I had literally cried out to God for help. Through no merit of my own, He gave me 6 mos of temptation-free success. It was total mercy and answer to prayer. Now I'm back to the regular struggle but with higher standards for healthy living and 45lb lighter. So don't leave God out of your struggle!! I probably should have said that first!

Maybe this should have been a new thread. I didn't mean to hijack.

http://tippettfamilynotes.blogspot.com/
Jennie Lou
Married my prince charming in 1993, ds 94, dd 97, dd 00, ds 02, twin ds from Liberia 03, dd 04, dd 08
Back to Top View afranciscan's Profile Search for other posts by afranciscan Visit afranciscan's Homepage

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Wow Jennie Lou! This was awesome!

Yes, the Lord should me my first resort. I have prayed that He work out a way for me to get in some exercise or walking with a neighbor or friend. I just don't feel safe walking by myself. I've also prayed for the Lord to open my eyes to whatever I'm doing that is keeping me from being healthy. We already eat organic and include healthy fats and the weight keeps coming on. I am really at a loss for what to do.

Another thing, (I'm 36!) is that I can't seem to be able to use progesterone cream anymore. I used to use it with great success for my PMS symptoms and it gave me some energy, but now, just ONE dose keeps me awake with hot flashes during the night. I don't know where to turn next.

I'm going to check out that book and see if that will help. Your testimony is inspiring!

Blessings to you!

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

Hi Lisa,

I was doing a search and came across this thread. I have done Weight Watchers after my last 3 pregnancies. They do have special guidelines for nursing mothers. Basically, they use a point system--you get a certain amount of points per week and if you are nursing, you get about 10 more points than everyone else. If you have ever done WW before, you will know that having 10 extra points is very exciting. The ladies at my particular meeting were very careful to make certain that I was not losing too much weight too quickly. They kept reminding me that the baby is what is important right now, not losing all of my pregnancy pounds in two months. I felt like this was a very healthy, safe way to lose weight. Each time I've lost 30-35 pounds. You are right about it happening slower. It doesn't just melt off anymore. I'm also in my early 30's and it's taking a little longer these days and requiring a little more effort!

My husband and I have worked out a routine for Saturday mornings. I get up and get the kids breakfast and get them started on a game or cartoons and then I wake dear hubby up and go off to my Weight Watchers meeting. When the baby was small, I would take him. When he became disruptive i started to leave him at home. I'm only gone for about an hour--including a little trip to Starbucks along the way. I'm home by 9:15 and we still have our Saturday together as a family. I have 5 kids so maybe that is more doable for our situation than yours but I would highly recommend attending the meetings. It's not my first choice of things to do by myself on a Saturday morning, but for now, I need it. I get a little breather and do something for myself. It fits into our busy schedule and I have made some new friends at the meetings.
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

My sil has used WW after each of her 6 pregnancies with great success, all while breastfeeding. This will be my third time using WW (after the baby is born) and its worked for me too, even though sil and I eat very differently. I have found that its very workable for a mom who is busy busy busy, and you don't have to go to meetings to do it, either. You can sign up online or you can buy the materials off Ebay for about $40 bucks and do it yourself at home.

I like that its specifically designed to work with nursing mothers. Its one of many options, and I think any of them will work. But I do like it...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version