Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Circumcision Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Thanks everyone! I'm so glad to hear that others have done this!

Yeah, I'm not worried about telling the hospital "no circumcision" (I guess it's only about 50% of ppl choose it anyways now?)-- I just wondered if a mohel would think it was wierd to get a cold call from a Catholic. What do I look up in the phone book -- a Jewish synagogue?

Martha -- could you tell me more about the different methods? Please? So, urologists normally do that for babies? I've never heard of that.

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Oh, also, Angie, sorry if I started a sensitive topic!
However, I do think it is very interesting hearing other peoples opinions about circumcision in general -- and no one was getting passionate at all!

Besides, if conversations always had stay precisely on topic and only refer to the original question -- threads wouldn't get very interesting or dynamic/stimulating.

Btw, I don't have a problem answering Lisbet and LisaR's questions of why we want to circumcize -- it's pretty much a personal decision for each family anyway.
But I'm not sure if I'm allowed to continue in that vein, so I'll only talk about my original question -- that's fine too.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

mary theresa wrote:
Oh, also, Angie, sorry if I started a sensitive topic!
However, I do think it is very interesting hearing other peoples opinions about circumcision in general -- and no one was getting passionate at all!

Besides, if conversations always had stay precisely on topic and only refer to the original question -- threads wouldn't get very interesting or dynamic/stimulating.

Btw, I don't have a problem answering Lisbet and LisaR's questions of why we want to circumcize -- it's pretty much a personal decision for each family anyway.
But I'm not sure if I'm allowed to continue in that vein, so I'll only talk about my original question -- that's fine too.

No need to apologize, Mary Theresa! We sure can discuss sensitive topics, just wanted to give a head's up to those new here or new to the topic of circumcision. You most certainly can expand on this topic. Sometimes a member simply wants one question answered OK too:). Thanks for clarifying that expanding the conversation is helpful/interesting to you, as I'm sure it is to others. I've learned a few things that I didn't know before .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I appreciate the topic being brought up. If we have a boy my husband and I plan to have him circumcised. I guess I never really considered that you could get it done later or outside the hospital unless you were Jewish (or an adult having problems that necessitate it). Learning that there were different types and clamps involved made me look up more information on Wikipedia.

If our ultrasound shows a boy, I will definitely want to get more precise information about circumcision method from our OB and pediatrician.

So thanks for bringing this up. I've really been thinking about it a lot since it was first posted.
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

[QUOTE=mary theresa]   What do I look up in the phone book -- a Jewish synagogue?
[QUOTE]

I just now googled (out of curiosity) mohel and my city name and there were many sites that were either a local mohel's site or a list of local mohels with a little info on some of them. I noticed that several were doctors too. Maybe you could find one that way - it's a start, anyhow.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I mentioned this thread to my midwife at my check-up earlier today, and she said that alot of homebirthers in our area (they are homebirth only midwives.) do this. Evidently they (midwives) are on a first name basis with the Messianic Jewish rabbi (?) in our area. (Kurt Schneider ring a bell Marie?) I had NO idea!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Thanks Amy!
I'm glad this topic is helping someone else too, Barbara -- I am learning alot.

So, some people asked why we are going to circumcize . . . I hope no one thinks I am being flippant or casual about something that some people feel strongly about . . . but basically the main reason is because my husband is (and all his 11 brothers too)and I think he just wants all his sons to be because somehow their manhood wouldn't be like his and that would just be weird. KWIM?
I figure: they are his sons and if that's important to him -- a matter of pride? or "my-family-all-does-it" mentality? -- that's fine with me. I don't always get the man and his sons thing.
Besides, all my brothers are so I always figured my sons would be. But if my husband was strongly against circumcision, then I would prob. let that be his call too.

On the serious side, there are two influencing factors:

1.) I read an article given me by a doctor I respect and trust tremendously -- and who is a big circumcision advocate -- about a study done linking the risk of cervical cancer in women with uncircumcized husbands. Basically Jewish women (and certain Mohammed followers that circumcize by belief?) have the lowest rates of this cancer by far.
Plus, the rate of penal cancer in uncircumcized men is higher than that of circumcized men. (But I think penal cancer is really rare anyways.)
So says this article. . .

2.) An older woman I know of, hearing a friend of mine discuss whether or not to circ. their son, interrupted the conversation to emphasize in strong language the life-long health issues she and her husband have had b/c he was never circ-ed so "PLEASE circumcize your son!".
I don't know how well-informed this woman is necessarily -- but she is the kind of old woman who never interrupts and NEVER talks about such private things, you know what I mean?

There. Those are things influencing our decision. Objectively, I don't think it matters one way or the other for each individual family. Just telling y'all because you asked.

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

mary theresa wrote:
is because my husband is (and all his 11 brothers too)and I think he just wants all his sons to be because somehow their manhood wouldn't be like his and that would just be weird. KWIM?
I figure: they are his sons and if that's important to him -- a matter of pride?   

this is the main reason why we had our first two sons circ'd. I totally understand. and interestingly, we had an older (and usually private) woman about my moms age share with me about how a botched circ had been a huge health issue for both her and her husband. but really that did not factor in the way the Pediatric Urologists information did.
we joke that we are doing our own controlled study- two are and two aren't!
I DO appreciate the fact that we are not required to do this as Christians!
and that we had a girl most recently and did not even have to think about it!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2007 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

I had four sons in a row! With the first boy I went along with the circumcision because I never read anything for or against it. My husband is circumcised so we just went with it. In our area it is customary for the OB to do the circumcision!   

As it turns out, he didn't take enough "off of the top" and essentially it looked like our son had never been circumcised. So the little guy got all of the pain with none of the "benefits" of circumcision. By the time I had my second son I was starting to question all of the medical interventions anyway and took a pass on the circumcision. The other two boys were born at home so it wasn't even a question.

Other than just normal baths when they were little, I didn't do anything else differently. I never did anything with that area at all. I do have a friend who was meticulous about retracting her son's foreskins and being very scrupulous about cleaning there and they ended up with circumcisions when they were school age. So my personal experience is less is more when it comes to taking care of an uncircumcised son.

The boys are now 18, 14, 12 and 9. They have never had any urinary tract infections or any other problems in that area. I of course talk to the older boys about chastity and have been frank about STDs and how the best way to avoid them is just to remain chaste until marriage!

I have heard that some folks like to circumcise so the boys will look like their dad, but that's never been an issue here for my husband or my sons. It just was never a big deal here.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2007 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

My dh is Jewish so we decided to circumcise our first child, but she turned out to be a girl so it wasn't necessary . We planned to have it done at the hospital because we were told that mohels here would not perform circumcisions on non-Jewish babies. With our younger daughters we knew they were going to be girls so never made any decisions about or arrangements for circumcision. We have heard that it is no longer possible to have a circumcision done in hospital under the National Health Service unless there is a clear medical reason for the procedure, and I don't know anyone here who has had a son circumcised for anything other than religious reasons. As someone said, it is very much not the norm in Europe. Given the choice, I would opt for circumcision to be performed by a medically qualified mohel - in the Reform Jewish movement here all mohels are also doctors, which is not the case with Orthodox mohels.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote nissag

This is a good discussion. We had our first son circumcised because his papa had been, and they did it in the hospital. My other two boys were born at home and a Jewish friend recommended calling out a mohel after we found out that the pedi would not do it - we would need to wait until the little chap was a year old befre the urologist would do it. We decided that it just was not a necessary procedure for our family.

Each family must decide for itself what it wants to do and why. My father and grandfathers were intact. I saw no reason to circ. the younger two boys.

Praying for your discernment about it.

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Martha

nissag wrote:
Each family must decide for itself what it wants to do and why.

I agree completely. And I also think it's a good idea to wait a bit, a couple weeks say, just to be sure they are completely healthy to begin with and to get someone you are completely comfortable with and KNOW, rather than whatever resident shows up that day at the hospital. I have found that I can be there in the office and am more informed that way too. At the hospital, you usually don't know who is actually doing it (a dr says they are, but they are actually watching over some first year student for example) or how it's going (it only takes about 5 mintues tops if they are ready to go when the baby comes in the room, but for somereason it takes HOURS for the baby to get back to momma's room).

Just my experience.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version