Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: back carry question--Lisbet?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

I've been using a cloth wrap to carry Clara around on my back (as taught at Wear Your Baby. I use it almost every day to carry Clara while I wash dishes, do laundry, pick up, or just to get her up off the floor so her sisters will stop pestering her! She loves being up there and is usually very content to watch what I'm doing over my shoulder. She often falls asleep while riding on my back, and that's where my problem is. When she falls asleep, her poor little head bobs around everywhere and I'm bent over like the Hunchback of Notre Dame trying to keep her head from bobbing around. For those of you who back carry (LISBET!), how do you keep baby's head secure when she falls asleep?

TIA

Dawn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Dawn, I'm so glad you are finding back carries useful. I don't know how I'd do anything without being able to carry baby on my back.   I can still mother the way I feel is best (lots and lots of mommy/baby contact) and tend to everyone else's needs!

Are you doing a cross-carry or a rucksack carry? If you are doing a cross carry, when she falls asleep, have your bigger girl pull one of the 'crosses' over her head. So she will have her cheek against your back and the part of the cross that comes over your shoulder securing her head.

If you are doing a rucksack carry, when you tie her on, make sure the wrap covers her from below the knees to above the head, then while you tie her on, leave the top a 'little' bit looser then you normally would, so she can move her head and look around until she falls asleep. Then when she falls asleep, pull and twist the top rail until it secures her head enough, and tuck it or roll it into the part of the wrap on top of your shoulders.

If you need a visual, let me know and I will have Abby do some photos this afternoon of both. I know I am a very visual learner! I've been seriously considering doing a back wrap photo tutorial and keeping it on my blog. Hope this helps!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Not that you don't have enought to do - but I would love a visual tutorial of back carries!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote Jess

Lisa, I would love to see one too (you know when you aren't sitting around eating bon bons ) My baby is 7 months old and she loves to be in the Moby and I just recently borrowed a sling for easy in-easy out kind of carrying (like when I know she will need to nurse soon.) I am going to try to do the back carry that comes in the instructions for the Moby. But I don't really like how low the baby in the picture looks so if I don't like that hold I will try another. She is pretty heavy (over 20lb, probably close to 25).

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Lisa,

I use both the cross carry and the rucksack carry. It just kinda depends on my mood, I guess!

I also use kind of a reverse sling carry that a missionary who worked in Africa taught me. I can get Clara up on my back the fastest that way and find it easier to adjust it to secure her head when shee falls asleep, but it only goes over one shoulder, so it's not as comfortable as a two-shoulder carry for long periods of time.   

I hadn't thought of asking my oldest girl to help me get the cross up over her head--good idea!

I'm not fully understanding what you describe doing with the rucksack carry, though, and, yes, I would find a tutorial very helpful!!

Thanks for you help!

Dawn

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

I'm another who'd find the tutorial very helpful! I'm at the point where I really need to put Bilby on my back, and the couple of times I've tried, it just hasn't quite worked:-(

Fe

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Fe,

I found that learning to do back carries took lots of practice before I felt comfortable doing it regularly. I started out practicing with a large stuffed animal, then moved to practicing with a 3yo. My 3yo could follow instructions and hang on, so I wasn't as worried about dropping her and it gave me a chance to practice on a real person. If you can get your dh or another mom to keep a hand on the baby while you practice, that's even better.

Once I felt comfortable doing a back carry, it made a world of difference to me. I can get chores done and tend to other children while carrying my baby (who LOVES to be held).

Maybe we should have a babywearing carnival...what do you guys think?? I'll host it!

Dawn

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

I'll have to check out what appropriately sized stuffed animal I can find!

I'm sure Puggle would _love_ to spend some time in the wrap to help me out:-) And he can tell me how it feels! Useful:-)

Thanks for those tips:-)   

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2007 at 3:04am | IP Logged Quote anniemm

I just wanted to say that I would also love a blog tutorial on your back carry, Lisa. Especially the one you have pictured from your meal honoring Blessed Theresa of Calcutta.

I have not mastered a back carry, and the front carries are too cumbersome for me for house work and caring for my other two little ones (I have a Moby). I find myself putting her down a lot, and that really kind of makes me sad. Especially when I have something that is immediately pressing and she wants to be close.

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

Can I tag another question on to this thread?

I haven't mastered a back carry with a wrap, but a friend has passed on framed backpack 'thing' that so far is working well (if seeming a bit like overkill!) as long as I'm fairly upright... so it's great for cooking, or the shops, or walks.

But...

I have long hair. Bilby has always been fairly into it, so I keep it in a plait at the back... and now I find her using it like a rein!

If you have long hair, and use a back carry—what do you do with your hair!?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I LOVED wrap back carries from birth until 6 mos, then, I really use a mei tai or our Ergo most. They are superior to a framed backpack, imo, since they become part of your center of gravity and the weight is well distributed instead of hanging off of you. I really find a back carry essential to getting things done around the home. My 16 mo is so used to it, I can nurse him to sleep or take him out of the carseat sleeping and put him on my back and he doesn't even wake up!

I also prefer a woven wrap for a back carry to the moby. Actually, I've never used a moby on my back because a stretchy back carry makes me nervous (and I do demos and teach classes at the library, so, I am used to tossing my baby's on my back, yk?).

If you are comfy in your back carry around the house, it might look silly, but you can take a bit scarf or play silk and use it to secure the bobbing heads once baby has fallen asleep. Kind of like the sleeping hood on the ergo and some mei tais.
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2007 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I will try to get a tutorial up next week. My husband left for a business trip this morning and he took my camera with him.    There will be a babywearing story in our local paper tomorrow featuring little MB and his mama! I'll post a link if I can!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Fe2h2o wrote:
I have long hair. Bilby has always been fairly into it, so I keep it in a plait at the back... and now I find her using it like a rein!

If you have long hair, and use a back carry—what do you do with your hair!?

My son, luckily, doesn't fuss with my hair at all. (This is the boy that amazingly doesn't mess with my veil at Mass either! ) My daughter, on the other hand, loves to grab my ponytail. I usually let her hold a doll or something while she's back there so that her hands are occupied. I also sometimes hand her a sippy of water if she's really persistent--that will usually distract her enough to make my hair less interesting. Sometimes I will also tuck the end of my ponytail or any stray hairs into one of the shoulder straps of my wrap so that it isn't just hanging in front of her face.

Hope that helps some.

Oh and Lisa, I'm looking forward to a tutorial too!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Here's the babywearing story in our local newspaper!

Babywearing Story

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

DominaCaeli wrote:
My son, luckily, doesn't fuss with my hair at all. (This is the boy that amazingly doesn't mess with my veil at Mass either! ) My daughter, on the other hand, loves to grab my ponytail.

That's exactly the same here! With my son, I barely even needed to tie it back, but my daughter...!

I hadn't thought of giving her something to play with—mind you, she's just hit the "wow, it's fun to drop this" stage... but it's worth a try:-)

Thanks!

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Lisbet wrote:

That was a great article, Lisa!!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

That is a great article, Lisa - it's so positive and a great promotion of babywearing. You make it sound wonderful!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Lisbet wrote:

Babywearing Story

Awesome article!!! I loved it.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Joelle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote Joelle

Great article, Lisa! I love the Moby & wear Gianna quite a bit, but must still be on the learning curve with the tension (plus she's a spitter, I mean a REAL spitter, so if it's too snug--she spits--oh, she spits anyhow). Then sometimes it's too loose and she's slumpy. I want to try the back, but have not yet, still chicken, but you gave me newfound resolve to master the back!! Would love the pic tutorial for sure!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Great article, Lisa!   

Of course, I especially liked the part about color-coordinating the wrap to your outfit.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version