Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Morninng Sickness and Headaches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 04 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Praying, Nina!

When I was expecting my youngest, I had sky-high blood pressure and was on bed rest for the last month. My MIL helped me get over the guilt by reminding me that one of the reasons we homeschool is so that the kids can really know what it takes to keep a family and home together, and not be separated form that for hours every day.

For this season, helping Mom and contributing to running the home should be the most important part of the "curriculum" (with some good books thrown in when possible ). Can you rough out a very basic schedule with your older ones that would be easy for them to enact with minimal input from you? Can they help with the 'work' involved with the younger ones so that you can save your energy for other things? I'm thinking reading aloud, listening together to books on CD (or the free ones at Librivox), doing puzzles together, playing board games, playing with clay- things that are fun but need minimal planning or clean-up? One of my 12yod's favourite memories of that month are the afternoons that we curled up in my bed and listened to my oldest reading aloud to us, or to a book on CD.

My husband also packed away about half of the kids' toys so that I wasn't stressed by seeing too much strewn about that I was unable to clean up

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 04 2007 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

Nina,

Praying for you and your whole family.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Great advice, Lori!

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2007 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Nina -

So happy you have made it this far and that you are still feeling sick (that's a good sign, isn't it?) Praying for you and your family.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2007 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Many hugs to you, too, Lori, Patty, and Nancy. (And thanks for the wonderful words of wisdom, Lori.) I have definitely felt the prayers.

So much gratitude to all of you who have been kind enough to pray and post.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 06 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote helene

Nina,

I have 8 children and I'm expecting my ninth at the end of March. Every time I think I might be feeling better I get walloped with another headache or day on the couch. Just making dinner is SO, SO difficult at times! I get overwhelmed when I think of all the things I am trying to do at once......teaching K, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 8th and 9th grade, managing to drive to two groups of ballet, two girls clubs, one boys club, homeschool football and scouts....and doing all the little things that comes with all that territory. To make it worse my husband would like to move and put our house on the market soon and my 3 1/2 year old NEEDS potty training. Sometimes I feel like the house is literally coming down around me. I know what you mean about craving peace. Peace is a great gift. I will be praying for both of us to find it....that's another thing....guilt about not praying enough! A lot of days I can barely bang out a morning offering.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2007 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Nina and Helene:

I have been there so many times between moving every 2 to 3 years and pregnancies every other year that this is the first homeschooling year that I feel that we're getting somewhere! And guess what? I've borrowed some textbooks that my kids are bored to tears reading because they've already learned all this stuff in a more fun, more real, more palpable way. Somehow, just living, relating, and sharing our interests teaches the children more than any formal lessons can.

We'll pray for you! God bless,

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2007 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I haven't been able to log in for some reason.

Helene, you are angel for sharing. I feel so much better thinking of the two of us carrying our cross together. We are definitely walking the same road! I will pray for YOU, too.

Tina, god bless you. Thanks for the reminders.

I am just so up and down. Gagging hits at any moment throughout the day, if I go even an hour or two without eating. It's crazy!

Thank you again, all. I hope the baby is thriving!

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2007 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Nina:

The only times I felt good during the first few months of my pregnancy, the babies weren't alive. This is good news for you!

Wendy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Wendy

Prayers headed your way, Nina. Like Tina, the only times I felt good during the first trimester, I miscarried. In fact, my doc told me that the worse I felt, the better the baby was doing. I don't know how true that is, but it made me feel better emotionally, anyway. Hang in there!    

Momma to Grace, Sam, Ben, Maggie, Mary Cate, and Jamie
Back to Top View Wendy's Profile Search for other posts by Wendy

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

More prayers for you, Nina...always!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Tina, Wendy and Noreen....thank you again. Profoundly.

------------------------------------------------------

After 20 years of pregnancy (11 pregnancies) I thought I "understood" this beautiful process for myself and my particular body.

But boy have things thrown me for a loop!

Does anyone know the *reason* I am so sick this time? I have read Marilyn Shannon's articles and I am aware of the connection to blood sugar levels.   

But here is what is happening: I eat and not 1-2 hours later the nausea and gagging starts. I am simply eating too much now for my system and I think, backing things up.   If I don't eat, I'm sick. But I am eating constantly and gaining weight rapidly, and still: the problem is not abating at 14 1/2 weeks; in fact, it has increased in frequency.   I am also eating high protein foods, taking good vitamins, resting when I need to, etc.

It just seems strange that I didn't have these problems with my first 7 pregnancies. My last pregnancy was the beginning but NOT like this!

Anyone sick throughout their ENTIRE pregnancy and what did you DO?   

Hugs to everyone, again!

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Lori B

My sister-in-law was sick throughout both of her pregnancies. She swears by popcorn She would eat some graham crackers first thing in the morning, then would eat reasonably the rest of the day (avoiding greasy, heavy food) and snack almost constantly on popcorn. If she didn't eat the popcorn, she was much sicker- she really noticed a difference.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Nina-
I *just* crawled out of the worst of my sickness. I will likely experience what I lovingly refer to as "functional nausea" for the rest of the pregnancy. This is our 6th pregnancy, and its been bad (hospitalization for all, and a central line to feed me and the baby for 2 of the pregnancies) for all of them, so I've been looking for reasons why for the last 12 years. Here is the long and short of it. They just don't know exactly why, but the best guess is that we lucky moms overproduce estrogen and HCG in early pregnancy. The liver just can't keep up in getting rid of all of those hormones. There's no easy fix (I'm sorry I know how bad you didn't want to hear that!) All that's left is to try to protect the pregnancy and you by staying hydrated and nourished, and when that can't happen, be grateful that in 2007 we have recourse to IV hydration and nutrition.

My advice after living through it over and over again?? Lower your expectations to the absolute BARE MINIMUM! Safety concerns - my dh spends a weekend and goes through the house with a fine tooth comb removing excess toys and any object that could potentially cause harm making it unnecessary for me to move from the couch.

Convenience food is your friend - lunchables and fast food are now survival food - a homemade meal is only going to come from outside the home for awhile. It's ugly, but it's the only way you'll survive unless you have a mom or sister that can drop everything and come help take care of you for awhile.

School consists of read-alouds on the couch until a little of your strength returns. Make use of animal planet and other nature shows when they are appropriate for your kids. Invest in a few great, educational toy-type things if you can afford it - ones that don't make a mess all over the floor. Do some online shopping.    

And here's another blow that I might as well tell you about now - your strength may not return as fast I'm finding out. Another sad reality of age I'm guessing.

The rest of the chores you used to keep up with will now have to be done on the weekend by your dh and older kids. Scale those waaaaay back until you can get involved.

The good news - your estrogen and HCG generally peak around 10 weeks and taper down from there. How slow or fast depends on your specific body chemistry, but you can look for functionality around 12-16 weeks. I'm not sure how far along you are now. The reason your nausea pattern changes from morn to night and seems to fluctuate all over is just a function of when your hormones go up and down.

I hope some of this is helpful Nina! I'll be praying for you - from one (very grateful to be pregnant ) pukey mom to another!

ETA: Sorry Nina! I see after re-reading your earlier post that you're 14 1/2 weeks along - thanks be to God! Hang in there! I'm 18 1/2 weeks, and still fighting!   It's just going to be a slow climb out of it for us I guess. We have much to offer up for though don't we?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Jennifer, your post saved me today. God bless you for taking the time to write. I am really cruddy today and feeling major mom and wife guilt (well, until I read your post, and seriously, I am already giving myself a break in just these few moments----am I suggestible, or what? ).   I appreciate your advice sooooo much. I am praying for you back! Let me know how you are doing.....

and 2 yet-to-be-met

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version