Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: What's your craft? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Trish,

I'd say your soap is a work of art! It is so beautiful.    

Oh good news! I figured out how to purl ! Thank goodness for the Kid's Knitting book.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

marychris wrote:
Oh good news! I figured out how to purl ! Thank goodness for the Kid's Knitting book.
That is WONDERFUL news ... but after all, if you think of it as just knitting backwards, it's not so hard! I think we all THINK purl will be hard, so we're a bit afraid of it! So, now what are you going to knit?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I would say sewing is my main craft but there are so many other things I like to do as well - some I have only dabbled in and others I still want to learn. To me web design is also a craft - I like that a lot.

But sewing is what calls to me the most. It's the siren's song of the fabric for sure!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I taught myself the basics of knitting (a whole scarf! Yippee!)last year and this year I am teaching myself to sew on my new machine.
But my real joy comes from drawing in my nature journal. Not sure if that would be considered a craft or an art or just a diversion. I like to dabble with various media but mostly just pencil or ink pen.
I am also finding that I enjoy watercolors. I tried them out for the first time last week on Peter Rabbit for dd and now have done a Hippogriff for ds and was pleased with the process and results. I may decide to stick with that for awhile and see where it leads.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Okay...you gals are inspiring to me to learn to knit...I'm realizing it is something I could do when I sit on the side of all these baseball fields and would stop my chatting with other parents that always degenerates into me listening to their rantings about something or another. (I'm really not antisocial...but I'm sure you know what I mean )

So...what would you all say is the very best beginner book and what would I need to buy to begin (types of yarn and needle sizes...I don't get it??!!)?

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Mary G wrote:
So, now what are you going to knit?

A scarf ! There is a scarf in the Kid's Knitting book that is done on Morehouse Yarn, it is knit 3, purl 3. I just need to fnd the right yarn. One of the things I've learned with knitting is you have to have the yarn they list in the project. I have let the ladies at the knitting shop sway my choice and the yarn sits unused. I also have two shawl projects that I want to try.

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

KackyK wrote:
Okay...you gals are inspiring to me to learn to knit...I'm realizing it is something I could do when I sit on the side of all these baseball fields and would stop my chatting with other parents that always degenerates into me listening to their rantings about something or another. (I'm really not antisocial...but I'm sure you know what I mean )

So...what would you all say is the very best beginner book and what would I need to buy to begin (types of yarn and needle sizes...I don't get it??!!)?

I knit on the soccer sidelines, mainly during warm up and half time. I do find it helps me not be drawn into idle chat.

Kacky, let's meet at the craft store. There is also a yarn shop in Middleburg I have been longing to step into. I do like the Kid's Knitting book. I would say be careful with kits, they are not always designed for the beginner.

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote trish

marychris

Thank for you compliment. I look at it as an outlet for creativity. Planning the colours and the scent can get pretty exciting.    And the results are there the next day.
I love to knit but sometimes it just takes so long... In my earlier mothering days the children would sport sweaters and such. I even found the time for one for dh. With the cold weather coming up I can feel those needles beckoning again. Maybe it's pregnancy. But I do have quite the yarn stash stored up in the attic.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

I have to choose?    I love them all!

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I love to craft, but rarely take the time to do it unless it's for a Christmas gift or for "school."   

I love to cross-stitch and embroider, scrapbook, paint, and do all kinds of random crafts (Martha Stewart type, but much less fussy!). I used to sew a bit, but my machine is extremely frustrating, so I only sew now when I'm very motivated or need to mend something.   

gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

I really enjoy making quilts, but seem to find very little time for it (the universal problem, right?) My daughter's interest in knitting is starting to get me interested in learning to knit. One thing I've always wanted to do, and never have, is throwing pottery (on a wheel that is!).

Back to Top View gracie4309's Profile Search for other posts by gracie4309 Visit gracie4309's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version