Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Favorite Fall Treats Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you all brought up Starbucks. I was feeling a little that part of my seasonal excitement are the menu changes at Starbucks. I love pumpkin spice latte and gingerbread latte is possibly one of my favorite indulgences ever...the year Evan was born the day before Thanksgiving, I was feeling so un-Christmas-y...new baby, post-Katrina, couldn't leave the house...I called my sil and said, "I know why it doesn't feel like Christmas, I haven't had gingerbread latte!" She rushed one right over!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

marychris wrote:
Rachel travels .

Absolutely true. If you live within an hour drive, I consider you local.    The nearest Starbucks to me is here on Ft. Belvoir only 2 blocks over. We should plan a Starbucks/nature day somewhere......

I never tried the gingerbread lattes, and I'm feeling like I've missed out. Gingerbread is such a yummy Christmas flavor but I'm the only one who likes it here so no gingerbread baking. I will admit though, that last year I got my kids hooked on peppermint kids' hot chocs because I had to go in to get my peppermint fix.

All right, I should be helping kids learn something instead of dreaming here, and my post count doesn't need help I'm sure.

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Fall and Christmas flavors are my favorite. I think this year I will try to a big baking day once a week and double up. I'll freeze the extras, then I will always have a treat ready to go, as a gift or for a holiday party, or just for us . All my kids love to bake with me and love to eat too.

Mmmm, pumpkin spice latte...last year I had a maple oat nut muffin (something like that) from Starbucks that was possibly the best muffin I have ever eaten. I have have been trying to find a recipe. I found one and tried, but not quite right yet. I so love the taste of maple. Someone had posted a pumpkin cookie recipe. I bet they would be terrific with a maple glaze...maybe I'll try that this week.

And last year I had seen a recipe for a pumpkin pudding here, for those that can't do wheat.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

A year or so ago I walked into my local Starbucks this time of year with a friend and immediately started abusing their fall/holiday decor (maybe it was the Christmas redecoration that I saw). I went on and on the whole time we were in line about people jumping the gun on Christmas and did the whole national chain really need to redecorate several times a year. I got to the register and immediately ordered an EggNog Latte (my seasonal favorite). I'm such a hypocrite. I loved seeing the fall menu at Starbucks this year!

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

The pumpkin loaf is my very favorite thing at Starbucks right now, and I love hot spiced apple cider, too.

A nature/Starbucks day sounds terrific to me! I travel, too, just not more than an hour or so if I can avoid it (unless DH comes and I have help with the 3yo). Is there anything cool going on at Mt. Vernon right now?
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

I love apple cake. I have a great recipe that always makes me feel like it's fall:

Fresh Apple Cake:

2 cups of diced apples(you do not have to peel them)
1-1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. oil
1 c. nuts(we skip this because we are not fans of nuts in our food)
2 eggs, slighlty beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
3.4 tsp. salt

Mix apple , sugar, and oil. Let stand for ten minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 for about 35 minutes.
Sprinkle with confectioner sugar, if desired.

It's really yummy!!!!
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I guess Virginia ladies are willing to travel (within reason right!?).
I'll have to try the Starbucks specials...

Now I DID make a deliciously yummy pumpkin bread that even satified my DH the pie maven. Texture was cake like but the taste was all pumpkin pie like!
I've linked the blog I found it on

Pumpkin Bread Recipe

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Caramel Corn!!!
1 cup butter
2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
5-6 qt. popcorn
Melt butter, stir in sugar, syrup, salt. Bring to a boil sitrring. Boil without stirring 4 min. Remove from heat, stir in soda & vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn. Stir. Bake in 250 oven in 2 shallow baking dishes, stirring every 15 minutes for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing.

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Harvest Bisque Soup (cream/squash soup)
French Onion Soup
Beef Stew

Deer Poppers

I also received a copy of Autumn From the Heart of the Home for my birthday last Spring...pulled it out last night and it is SO wonderful!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

msclavel wrote:

And last year I had seen a recipe for a pumpkin pudding here, for those that can't do wheat.

Pumpkin pudding

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rachel May wrote:
marychris wrote:
Rachel travels .

Absolutely true. If you live within an hour drive, I consider you local.    The nearest Starbucks to me is here on Ft. Belvoir only 2 blocks over. We should plan a Starbucks/nature day somewhere......

Come see me! A new Starbucks just opened around the corner. I have a new enticement to bring friends over.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

We got several new starbucks in the area... I can't figure out why. One day I will go in one...

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Does anyone know if you can buy the "Pumpkin Spice" coffee SYRUP, retail? (not the flavored creamers, but the syrup).

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

SuzanneG wrote:
Does anyone know if you can buy the "Pumpkin Spice" coffee SYRUP, retail? (not the flavored creamers, but the syrup).

Amazon has everything. LOL

Pumpkin Spice Coffee Syrup

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

All this fall recipe talk makes me crave the cooler air! I have a few recipes that I enjoy this time of year too:

Pull Apart Bread (I'm told it's like Monkey bread?)

1 package Grands Biscuits
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 stick butter
1 apple

Core/chop apple into small pieces. Remove biscuits from package and slice into eighths. Combine apples, biscuits, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and mix together. Melt butter in 8 inch sauté pan. Combine all ingredients into sauté pan, and place in 350 degree oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes (be sure to catch the butter coming over the edges! BEST part! )

Spiced Pumpkin Spread:

1/4 cup pecan halves, chopped
4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup mini marshmallows
2 red or green apples, wedges

Cinnamon Pastry Wedges (recipe follows)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Chop pecans. In a bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth. Add pumpkin, brown sugar and spice blend, mix well. Spoon mixture into a baker (I used my stoneware mini oval baker). Top with Marshmallows and Pecans.
2. Bake 12-15 minutes or until marshmallows are light, golden brown. Cut apples into wedges. Serve Warm with apples and/or Cinnamon Pastry Wedges.

Cinnamon Pastry Wedges:

2 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1 refrigerated pie crust (15 oz package) softened as directed

1. Preheat oven to 400. In small bowl (or Flour/Sugar Shaker) combine sugar and cinnamon. Unfold crust onto lightly floured Large Round Stone. Roll seams lightly, forming an even 12" circle. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mix; cut into 16 wedges using Pizza Cutter. Do not separate. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven, cool completely.

I love your idea, Maria, about baking and saving, to have everything ready for the holidays!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

PDyer wrote:
Amazon has everything. LOL

That's the LAST place I expected to find it. Now, I'll know better!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version