Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Vienna calling... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

(am I giving away my age and musical preference if I call the post that? Or am I the only one?)

Gotta vent-

Dh is going to an Apple computer conference in Vienna to present in October. I will be 30 weeks pregnant. I just called my OB and she said NO WAY could I fly past the 27th week. (She has been my OB for the last 7 children, she KNOWS I have NEVER gone into labor before, I'm always going past week 42!!!) I guess it's just the litigation thing. She's worried if something went wrong, we'd sue her. (I NEVER would- travel is MY choice!)

Boo hoo. I want to go to Vienna for a long weekend with dh!!!! Not even sure if the airlines would let me fly without a note from my doctor. I will defiantly look pregnant, can't hide that. I grew up an army brat in Europe, so I would LOVE to go back, and dh has never been to Europe.

What would you do?

Peace,
Macmom

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

AWWWW, that stinks!   

Last spring, DH was awarded a 7 day cruise for excellent performance. The cruise lines don't let you cruise past 27 weeks pregnant -- the cruise took place in my 28th. I was SO bummed!!

DH ended up going & taking his best friend instead of me :(

Maybe your doc will change her mind! (But, did you ever read the book written by Denis Leary's wife when she went into premature labor and ended up giving birth in England? Wonderful read, but I can't remember the name of the book now!)

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 2:02am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

OT, and I can't say what I'd do about flying to Vienna while pregnant, but since you asked: Are you referring to the Clash?

Theresa
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 2:59am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

I would check with the airline. Some will let you fly long haul up to the 34th week. Getting insurance might be a problem.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 3:32am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I could check out English speaking midwives in Vienna for you, just in case
What would be the disadvantage of having the baby in Vienna? Aside from the fact that he could never become President of the USA (unless the laws change).

Oh, I just reread your post. 30 weeks is a bit early.
I really don't know that flying increases your risk of labor so much????? I would check out some stats.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I'm with Kathryn
Ring and check the policy, you may not need anything from your doctor.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Go to Vienna! I've never heard of an airline not allowing a woman that early in pregnancy! Call the airline and check--but it should be fine. If you have no concerns based on seven pregnancies and you feel healthy--GO!

I have lots of family in Vienna and dh and I lived there for a couple months after our honeymoon while he was learning German. It was incredible.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

OT: No, not the Clash- FALCO! (You know, "Rock Me Amadeus!")

I was always a sucker for European New Wave. Best dance music out there. Falco was from Vienna, as well. One of his hits was "Vienna Calling."

Just a child of the 80's!

Peace,
Macmom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

St. Ann wrote:
I could check out English speaking midwives in Vienna for you, just in case
What would be the disadvantage of having the baby in Vienna? Aside from the fact that he could never become President of the USA (unless the laws change).

Oh, I just reread your post. 30 weeks is a bit early.
I really don't know that flying increases your risk of labor so much????? I would check out some stats.
Our youngest was born while we were in Austria -- wonderful care and easy! Also, US had us get him a passport/birth-abroad certificate RIGHT AWAY, so he could be president (altho I don't know if our family would pass muster! ) ...

Do call the airline -- having worked for them, I do have to say they HATE having to put down for an emergency birth ... and believe me, it happens way more than you'd think!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Mary G wrote:
Our youngest was born while we were in Austria -- wonderful care and easy! Also, US had us get him a passport/birth-abroad certificate RIGHT AWAY, so he could be president (altho I don't know if our family would pass muster!

I had one born abroad too. He was not even 4 weeks old in his passport photo. How does that work Mary? Can an American citizen born abroad still be president? Not that it matters for him - he doesn't aspire to it...but I'm curious.

Oh and Macmom - I'd go to Vienna!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Patty
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote Patty

Wow, a tough call. I've never been to Europe and would dearly love to go, BUT...after six babies our seventh was born at 32 weeks; my water broke very very early. You just never know. He was my first premature baby. Knowing that, I probably wouldn't go, especially on such a long trip. But if I hadn't had that experience, maybe I'd go if they'd let me...

God bless you in whatever you decide.

Patty   
Back to Top View Patty's Profile Search for other posts by Patty

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MicheleQ wrote:
    How does that work Mary? Can an American citizen born abroad still be president? Not that it matters for him - he doesn't aspire to it...but I'm curious.

He's still an American citizen at birth -- that's why, instead of an American birth certificate, we had to get him a "Certificate of American Birth Abroad" ... technically, no matter where an American citizen is born he/she could be president ... not if they have dual citizenship (unless they renounce the other) and not if they've been naturalized ....

But, like you Michele, my littlest doesn't look toward that direction ... more the I'm going to Minnesota and playing hockey forever kind of 4-year-old!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well, he could *at least* be governor of California!LOL!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I flew to Costa Rica at 28 weeks pregnant and back home at 35 weeks, alone with three other kids in tow...GO TO VIENNA! Unless, you have a history of early labor, there's really no statistical evidence that flying is risky, and the I definitely looked pregnant and no one said a word to me at the airline. Just don't have a hormonal breakdown and start sobbing hysterically when you miss your connecting flight home and leave the lady at the desk wondering what to do with the crazy pregnant lady....oh wait, that was me...

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

I would definitely go to Vienna! I don't believe your sweet little one will come any earlier/later if you fly out of the country. Any major city in Europe could easily accommodate whatever medical issues might arise. I would have more caution if it was travel to a third world country, but Vienna does not seem to be a high risk locale.

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I went to Guatemala for a week when I was 30 weeks pregnant last year. I brought a note from my doctor okaying me to fly until 36 weeks, but the airlines didn't ask for it--no problems at all. The airline we flew did have a policy on pregnant flyers, but it was much more flexible than I thought it would be (something like 38 weeks or something--I can't quite remember).

I was a tad nervous about going, especially to a third-world country, but my daughter actually ended up being two weeks late ( ), so I'm sure glad I didn't pass on the opportunity!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2007 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

I would go if I were you!
I flew at about 30 wks. I had my midwive's written permission in case the airlines asked, but they didn't
say a thing to me about it. (And I wasn't small either! )
My midwife even thought it was weird that I was asking for her permission as early as 30 wks.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2007 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Okay - just another point of view here - do you know if your OB was worried about early labor only?

My only thought is that it might be something else besides just early labor - like blood clot risk. You are more prone to clots just due to being pregnant, and then add a long flight (limited movement in a sitting position), and high altitude, which also increases risk...but then I have had a DVT, so I worry.

Feel perfectly free to ignore me on this anyway, though, as I don't fly in any case!!!!
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Macmom,

I was thinking the very same thing as Laura - the clotting thing. I thought I read something about that also. Sorry! You should check into that, though.

(The Clash - Stand By Me (is that the name?) - love that one!)

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 11 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

Yes, it's the blod clot thing. But we have TWO MDs who are moms in our homeschool group, and they both said if I got up every hour and moved around AND wore special support hose, it should be OK. (Both are general practitioners, not OBs!)

Hmmm... better make plans soon.

Peace,
Macmom

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version