Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: What did you read this summer? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 22 2005 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Irene,
I too would save "An Episode of Sparrows" for an older child, though perhaps the unsavory bits would pass over a young person's head??   That being said, though, I really loved the book. I've read some others of hers that I didn't like as much, but I've forgotten the titles.

Karen, I read several Debra Waterhouse books this spring and found them really helpful. I managed to finally lose my post "baby" weight -- the baby's only two and a half! and deal with some of my ongoing food issues, though it's still definitely a work in progress!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2005 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Willa,

I have read two of Debra Waterhouse's books - Outsmarting the female fat Cell After Pregnancy and Outsmarting the Female Fat Cell for Menopause and Peri-menopause. Good reads.

Karen,

We are pretty obsessed about theories for the new HP - we meaning myself and two teens.

I just don't believe that Snape is bad. And do you think Dumbledore is really dead???

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 23 2005 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I just finished An Episode of Sparrows this afternoon.

I loved this book! I highly recommend it. (Again, for adults and teens, not young children.) If I remember correctly, it was Kelly in FL who recommended it to me. Thanks so much, Kelly.

Now does anyone have another Rumer Godden adult fiction recommendation for me? My library system has next to nothing by her, so I would most likely have to do interlibrary loan or purchase, so I'd like a recommendation first. Did one of you recommend Black Narcissus? (Strangely, my library has that on audio, but not the book.)

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

WJFR wrote:

Karen, I read several Debra Waterhouse books this spring and found them really helpful. I managed to finally lose my post "baby" weight -- the baby's only two and a half! and deal with some of my ongoing food issues, though it's still definitely a work in progress!

Willa,

I believe it was on your recommendation that I went to the library and found a Debra Waterhouse book! I don't think I've lost any weight yet, but then, I'm not paying very close attention to the nature of my cravings ....

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2005 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Leonie wrote:

Karen,
We are pretty obsessed about theories for the new HP - we meaning myself and two teens.

I just don't believe that Snape .... And do you think Dumbledore is really ....

Leonie,

No spoilers! It sounds as if we're on the same Snape page, though I do think Dumbledore is really gone. I think he passed the torch to Harry in Book 6, and that Harry will have to face the enemy alone in Book 7.

Having just torn through the last three books, I'm spoiled -- I hate that I now have to wait a couple of years for the next installment!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 23 2005 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Karen E. wrote:
Having just torn through the last three books, I'm spoiled -- I hate that I now have to wait a couple of years for the next installment!

I agree, Karen. I read all 6 books since January. It will be very difficult to wait now!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2005 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Karen E. wrote:
WJFR wrote:

Willa,

I believe it was on your recommendation that I went to the library and found a Debra Waterhouse book! I don't think I've lost any weight yet, but then, I'm not paying very close attention to the nature of my cravings ....

OK ladies! Now, I've ordered the Outsmarting the MidLife Fat Cell -- now I have no more excuses! Thanks alot

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2005 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Irene,
I'm not sure if I can take credit for "Episode of Sparrows"---that might have been Leonie---but I DO love Rumer Godden and agree with you wholeheartedly If you haven't read "In This House of Brede", then you need to get it. It's a wonderful book. After I read that book as a teen, I really felt called to the cloistered life, it paints it so beautifully. Obviously, God had other plans for me (a loving husband and eight pregnancies later...)but that book still moves me.

Leonie, are you a Chalet School Girl, too? I thought Kathryn and I were the only Chaletians!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 24 2005 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Kelly wrote:
Irene,
I'm not sure if I can take credit for "Episode of Sparrows"---that might have been Leonie---but I DO love Rumer Godden and agree with you wholeheartedly If you haven't read "In This House of Brede", then you need to get it. It's a wonderful book.

If that is true, then I have Leonie to thank for another great recommendation. Yes, I read In This House of Brede earlier this summer, and it has become my favorite book!

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2005 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Kelly, I grew up on Chalet School.

And An Episode of Sparrows I first read at fifteen and it provided one of my first "inklings" about the Catholic Church - the episode with the statue of Our Lady really touched me, as a non Catholic.

I also like Godden's Five for Sorrow,Ten for Joy and her autobiography - she even mentions using the PNEU curriculum with her dc.

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

anncap
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 25 2005 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote anncap

Thanks to everyone's recommendations I also read in This House of Brede and loved it! Unfortunately, my library doesn't have An Episode of Sparrows.
Right now, at my dd's urging, I'm finally reading Anne of Green Gables. I'm really enjoying it; I love small town, old-fashioned, slice of life stories. I have my eyes on the whole series except that I'm a pretty slow reader ( a few pages before bed before I'm asleep) and there SO many books that I WANT to read! :) Ann in Tucson

P.S. I also read Empire Falls by Russo which was enjoyable, but not a classic.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 1:38am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I'm ashamed to say that I'm just reading "Little Women" for the first time    We just visited the Louisa May Alcott house last week, and it was so interesting. Even the ladies that worked there were enthusiastic, they LOVED their job, they loved LMA, they loved "Little Women"...it shamed me into starting the book immediately. I'm enjoying it so much (tho, gosh, that Marmee is a saint. She makes me feel rough as a corn cob!)

Kelly in FL

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 1:42am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

And speaking of "Little Women"...didn't it strike you how similar Jo Marsh and Jo Bettany (of Chalet School fame) are???

Kelly in FL

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I love Marmee!!

I read way too much fiction this summer and loved it all!!

The only homeschooling book I touched was Real Learning and now am anxiously awaiting Advent to use the unit study/booklists.

I need to read LOTR and plan to this fall and winter. Can't wait....

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version