Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What do you eat? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

This is a fun thread!
I ALWAYS have my 6 cups of coffee every morning. (bad I know) And either eggs, yogurt, or oatmeal.
I have a light lunch, usually tuna, or ham and cheese roll-up, or a salad and fruit.
And dinner is the usual- pasta and homemade sauce, chicken and veggies, meatloaf, etc.
I also drink lots of water and raw milk.(we have a cow)

The main change I made after the birth of my now 2yr old was to cut out the processed foods and the sweets. It has made a HUGE difference in my energy level. If I have any white bread or sugary foods, soda, etc. during the day, I might as well call it a day! I get so tired and have to lay down. Now, I can have a piece of dark chocolate in the afternoon with a cup of green tea and I am fine. (Thank Goodness!)

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Breakfast: coffee with cream and sugar.

Mid morning snack: coffee with cream and sugar.

Lunch: leftover stir fry and water

Afternoon snack: iced tea and iced coffee (as you can see I'm still up at nearly midnight...this was not a good move).

Dinner: roast chicken, corn on the cob, green beans, water

Nearly midnight snack: protein bar and water.   

This is pretty typical. I need to eat a better, I mean ANY, breakfast.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Kristen in TN wrote:
Gee, Molly, if I tell you what I had today it might scare you.   

Yes, your scaring me! When you say "how you used to eat", was there something wrong with that? It sounded pretty healthy to me. Or are you just taking it that much further to eat well?

Sorry to get so personal.

I think I am really just wondering if I talk myself outing of "eating well" because I see it as too complicated and therefore fall back on my old stand-bys. By seeing what other ladies are actually doing, I can get an idea of what is doable.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

sweetiesmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote sweetiesmom

I wish I ate better on a consistent basis. I do manage to eat a good breakfast of oatmeal, but it is usually closely followed by some unhealthy sugary snack. Coffee is not my weakness, but sugar is big time.
Lunch is usually non existent.
Dinner is whatever is left after feeding the kids, or if that doesn't look good to me, I might cook something for myself, or make a salad.
My DH travels with his job and is gone most M-F. Feeding myself is not usually a priority and the kids don't notice when I don't eat.
I have stopped eating anything after 8pm. I was a terrible snacker at night, but I am trying to lose the last of the baby weight.

sweetiesmom
Back to Top View sweetiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by sweetiesmom

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

Breakfast: 1 cup of decaf coffee w/ lots of milk and sugar
              occasional bowl of cereal or scrambled eggs

Lunch: can soup, fried bologna, cheese hot dogs, or salad (lettuce, shredded cheese, garlic wontons, pepperonis, and homemade dressing)

Afternoon snack: swiss cake roll with milk

Dinner: hamburger helper, tuna helper, grilled chicken with sauteed frozen veggies, box of au gratin potatoes with frozen veggies thrown in, rice-a-roni, basically too many processed dinners because I am a horrible cook and lazy

Bedtime snack: another pack of swiss cake roll or a twix bar with milk

I've been trying to do better about fixing foods with fewer dyes, partially-hydrogenated oils, but it's an uphill battle.
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Very interesting thread. What I'm eating now is based on my gestational diabetes diet. I'm on insulin, so I'm eating carbs than I usually do. My biggest weakness is veggies. I ODed on salads a few years back and can't get back the taste or motivation to make more salads. I eat them frequently, but usually when I'm out. I hate fixing them -- and the bagged salads always turn brown or gross too fast and not worth it.

I follow a basic plan for servings. 1 Starch serving is 15 carbs, so breakfast, lunch and dinner is 2 starches (total 30 carbs). Meat and most veggies are free foods. 1 fruit serving for 3 times a day, and Dairy servings 4x a day.

Anyway, here's my food for now. I'm eating for two, and sometimes it's just too much!

Breakfast: 1/2 banana mixed in plain yogurt
2 eggs
small portion leftover meat (if I have it)
Whole Wheat English Muffin

Snack: Usually whole wheat crackers and cheddar cheese

Lunch: Either leftovers or sandwich (tuna salad or leftover chicken or roast beef). Health Nut bread is my choice, and I pile on the fresh tomatoes. Fruit and cheese also included in this mix. Lately it's been nectarines.

Yesterday I had leftover taco salad (homemade) with some tortilla chips and apple.

Snack: Whole Wheat crackers, or cheese and peanut butter crackers, maybe cheese.

Dinner: We always have meat, veggies, and complex carb starch, all from scratch I don't fix dairy, eggs or flour for the dinner meal since ds is allergic. Usually it's brown rice or baked potato or rice pasta.

Snack: Bare Naked high protein cereal with soy milk.

I normally wouldn't eat as much when not pregnant, especially not all these snacks. But I have to make sure I keep eating, because the lack of eating will mean blood sugars plummeting, which feel awful and is scary.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have to add that even eating all this food (and not exercising because I'm not allowed) I'm still doing a very healthy weight gain for this pregnancy.

My mother tried a personal trainer for a few weeks. Mom needs to lose a few pounds and get into shape. She watches her diet closely, but can't seem to lose anything. The trainer told her she wasn't eating enough, that her body was in starvation mode.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

This thread is very interesting! I'm not doing great with my eating this preg. Mostly I just want to eat a bowl of corn flakes and cream cheese on rice cakes -- which are weird random foods I am craving and never have before.
Does anyone do the "eat right for your type" diet? I don't exactly follow it, but since I'm an O+ I TRY and avoid the main biggies that are problems for O's. Not so much this pregnancy though.
Also, I know I need to eat more protein. I get so tired and have no energy when I don't eat enough of it. And I know the baby needs it too. Why do high-protein foods always have to be the involved prep, non-comfort food type . . . ???

I probably should do low-carb too. I think my body would like that. The 2-3 wks at the end of my last pregnancy where I only ate 60g of carbs/day I felt GREAT! It was VERY hard to stick with though. I mean, ONE bagel is close to 60g!

JennGM wrote:
The trainer told her she wasn't eating enough, that her body was in starvation mode.

I've heard this too. Your body conserves more fat the less you eat. My friend in the navy went to a military dietician person once. He told her that the way to stay trim is to eat more (-- healthy whole foods, obviously). You may gain some weight intially, but your metabolism speeds up and then you burn fat WAY faster and weight is easier to lose.

FWIW

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Breakfast is usually decaf coffee with half & half, Ezekial toast with soy sausage or sometimes eggs. I like oatmeal in the morning, but I get too hungry too quickly without protein.

Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner, but today I wanted a salad because it is SO hot. I made a salad with romaine, scallions, toasted almonds, mandarin oranges, maifun noodles, cold chicken and a soy-ginger vinagrette.

Dinner tonight is grilled steak, which is marinating in Trader Joe's Soyaki marinade, baked potatoes, spinach salad, and green beans.

Snacks can be anything from a piece of French bread to a handful of chocolate kisses.

I have a really hard time eating fruit--I just don't like much besides berries or really good melon. I need to get more calcium, too, so I've started taking a supplement.

After my coffee in the morning, I drink different kinds of iced herbal tea (unsweetened) and water all day. I'll often have a glass of wine in the evenings.

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I've been doing well lately, but I've had a tough day with some of the kids, so I just snacked on some cream puffs from COSTCO. Yum!

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Ruth wrote:
I've been doing well lately, but I've had a tough day with some of the kids, so I just snacked on some cream puffs from COSTCO. Yum!

Oh, someone brought those to the cub scouts potluck last weekend. Sooooo good, and just the right size to pop in your mouth. I need to stay away from Costco!

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

Molly,

I would suggest the way I used to eat. I am eating the way I do now to get my kidneys back into shape. This morning I found I am down 20 pounds and told my Mom about it. She was with us for two weeks this month and can not believe the weight is falling off of me with the amount of food I eat. She almost didn't come because she was afraid of the way I ate. Just before she left she said she really liked the food. Today on the phone she asked about two specific dished that she had here. So, it may sound scary, but it is really not bad at all.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Hi Molly,

Gosh, compared to Stef and Kristen with their yummy sounding exotic food, our meals are fairly boring!

I don't know if we're great examples, but since my name is at the beginning of your post, I feel pressured to respond!!   

When I eat this way, I feel good and energetic:

- whole grains (no white flour, etc.)
- lots and lots of organic fruits and vegetables (very easy to get here)
- vitamins and liquid minerals
- small meals throughout the day
- no processed food
- no artificial colors or flavors, etc.
- juicing (carrots, fruit and I try to add juiced kale whenever I can)
- very little fast food and practically no soda of any kind
- tons of water
- homemade baked goodies (we eat plenty of sweets here, but I can control what goes into them if we make them)

I think that's it. It's not fancy. We buy most everything from Trader Joe's or another local health food type store. I try to read labels and unless you make everything from scratch, it is nearly impossible to avoid some of the artificial ingredients. And, then there are parties and family gatherings....we have no problem eating doritos and snickers and such....I just try not to have those foods in the house.

If we were rich I'd buy free-range meat and all organic dairy. We're trying to make those changes slowly and just switched to organic milk and mostly organic yogart.

Anyway.....that's it, Molly. Happy eating!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 2:34am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Yesterday I ate ...

Breakfast - bowl of raisin bran, Danish pastry, mug of tea

Lunch (grabbed while out and shared with my little one) - triple sandwich pack (one half-round each of chicken and sweetcorn, chicken and bacon, chicken salad, on wholemeal), vegetable crisps, raspberry cheesecake, water

Afternoon snack - granola bar

Dinner - chicken stir fry, caramel icecream, left over banana bread, pineapple juice.

There were several more mugs of tea in there, and not enough water. The only reason there was no chocolate was because I had just finished up a 2lb bar my dh bought me as a wedding anniversary gift last Saturday .

I have been trying to eat more healthily recently by switching to wholemeal bread and pasta and buying more organic food. I still tend not to eat enough fruit and veg or drink enough water. My weakness is chocolate, in any form. My 14 month old still nurses a lot and I get hungry, which I tend to deal with by eating too many sweet things

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mari

OK ladies - don't throw tomatoes at me....

I ate
Breakfast: miso soup with vegetables
Lunch:   quinoa, organic farmed trout, salad
Snack: dried fruit seeds mix with coconut oil
Supper: sukiyaki (Japanese style steak), more vegetables

All of the above was organic (and, I hope, still is inside me)

We avoid too much cereals (these are sugar foods), cane sugar
Definite no-nos are refined sugars, white wheat and other refined flours, pasturised milk products.

No milk products apart from occasional raw goats milk/fresh cheese

Am I a ?

This came about because of serious health problems and even more serious and detructive medical proposals I received. No one could swallow it... but it worked.

And my dds have never been one day ill in bed. And, for those of you interested and open-minded to check latest research out; no milk (apart from Mom's milk)equals no demineralisation of bones results in GREAT TEETH.

OK.... I'm going

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mari

P.S. THere was also some brown rice and seaweed at supper....that's tasty with soy sauce (organic too - but the taste is way better).

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Erica Sanchez wrote:
Hi Molly,

Gosh, compared to Stef and Kristen with their yummy sounding exotic food, our meals are fairly boring!

Add Mari to this list!!!! You're inspiring!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Mari,
Only throwing organic tomatoes!

That's interesting about the great teeth. My kids have had a lot of cavities, but the doctor and dentist keep pointing to the fact that we are on well water and thus no fluoride.
We drink alot of milk.

See, your diet makes my head spin and I retreat to my comfort zone. What I need is someone to hold my hand and gradually lead me away from the sugar, white flour, and candy (no, not really the candy ).

Kathryn, I am not nursing anymore, but pregnant and I can kill a carton of Whoppers in two days by myself! At least I should be eating the "good" chocolate.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 01 2007 at 3:05am | IP Logged Quote Mari

Molly,

I would just like to suggest if you have time and you are in an open frame of mind to do a little research on what fluoride really is and what it does to you (I am not talking about the industry promotions but of the ones pointing out the dangers of fluoride poisoning).
PS I have either used no toothpaste or non-fluoride. My girls have not had any from this (or from sprayed fruit, at least very little - it is an insecticide). No dental decay. Since my dh, who was always having problems, has switched to this non fluoride option, drastically reduced refined foods and dairy intake he has only had to do remedial work for past dental work. Our dentist is not comfortable with these facts. It goes against what he has been taught.

On chocolate - if you just want the good part of the chocolate have you tried organic coacoa nibs? These are raw, no sugar and contain the mineralsetc without the junk. OK it doesn't taste the same as a bar of milk chocolate. But if it is the only thing you have around the house, maybe your dc will grow to like it. And you can't really eat too much of it at a time. Ideal.

In any case, if you decide to change your diet, I would strongly recommend to do it SLOWLY. One thing at a time. I would start with choosing sugar and sweet stuff. Then just stick to that for a month or two. Your body will tell you when it has adapted and what you could go on to do next. All those cravings will go away. It is habit and messed up sugar levels that do this. It is not the same as being thirsty.

I would next go on to eliminate wheat. You don't have to be drastic about it. Just in your home don't eat or stock those things. Often when you go out you do have a choice to avoid these things without making a fuss about it. And if not;, well it will hardly be making up the majority of your diet would it?

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 01 2007 at 3:19am | IP Logged Quote Mari

P.S. I am on about the cereals because carbohydrates are complex sugars but they are still sugars. In other languages eg French they are known as slow-sugars becuase they take longer to break down. But once they are broken down this is what they are. So moderation. Why I attack wheat the most is because it is the one that causes the most allergic reactions. It also can build up - many bakers here get allergies to wheat after years of handling eating breathing working with it. So if you have other options, why not be kind to your body. Also whole grain rice, etc, is not the same as refined white cereals. Refined cereals and sugars cause your body to become acidic. Also to digest them your body is required to take minerals from you i.e. your bones to do this. With the whole grain nature has it that the whole food does not cause this. That is why it effects your teeth even if you brush them as soon as you eat sugary stuff. Decay from the inside is not going to be resolved by brushing teeth. Milk products also cause the body to go acidic.

Maybe I better stop here before those organic tomatoes find me.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version