Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Any other phonics programs out there? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 05 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I am sorry... I have never been consistent with a spelling program. We used the Bluebacked for about 2 or 3 months one year. Don't know if it helped- spelling is definitely our weak point around here. But if you go on the Don Potter site you can link to an article by Laurie Bluedorn that show you how to use the bluebacked for spelling and grammar.

Erin, I think Word Mastery would be great. I have done it by getting my younger two who need the phonics to read it and then giving the words to my 12yos (a little spelling challenged ). This has been rather hit and miss though, but I think it could work. In Word Mastery there are some rules for doubling etc. in the context of reading that you could transfer over.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Jennifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Jennifer

Has anyone used Happy Phonics? I have and love it. There is a lot of cutting and prep work to do when it arrives in the mail, but once that's done it's pain free. It's based on games and did win the Cathy Duffy Homeschool Award.

Here's the progression of teaching reading at my home. First daughter used 100 EZ lessons. We did every lesson and all 20 extension books listed in the back. It was painful, but I didn't know any better so we pushed through. Then with my oldest son I used Bob Books, which worked well. I do credit my reading teacher ability to 100 EZ lessons; before that I knew how to read, but never put rules to my reading skills. Back to the Bob Books. We started with box one and progressed through all 5(or 6) boxes. Halfway through the year I ordered Happy Phonics and we started in with that, not at the beginning, but at the appropriate spot. We continued using Bob Books. I also saw many holes in my daughters phonics ability, so I did all the Happy Phonics games with her, too. DD6 is now learning to read and we are using the Bob Books and Happy Phonics. Happy Phonics starts at the very beginning. ABC's, beginning word sounds, so it can be used with a child as young as 3 or 4 and just spread out a couple years.

Jennifer
Camp Homeschool
Back to Top View Jennifer's Profile Search for other posts by Jennifer

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

Jennifer,
I'm glad you mentioned Happy Phonics. I've been looking at it in the Love to Learn catalog (great catalog, by the way!)
and wondering if it was worth the $.
I think I'll try it.
Thanks!
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

What kinds of games does it have? I have used PHonics Pathways (started with 100 EZ and hated it) for awhile, and then bought some games that went with it, second-hand. Other than the letter-sound bingo, we haven't really gotten into the games, but I think games would be a help for my 7.5 yo beginner reader.
Right now we are using a combination of Explode the Code and the Bob books. I think the bob books are helping the most, but the kids like the code books, too.
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Jennifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Jennifer

Happy Phonics has lots of fun little "games". I use the word games loosely. Our favorite is, The Castle Game. The object is to get your button from the bottom to the top (castle). There are two paths of vowels to follow; it's a two player game. You draw a picture card from a stack and say the word. For example you might draw a picture of a hat. You say hat and then identify the short vowel as "A". You get to move your button to the first "A" in your path. Players take turns trying to be the first to reach the castle. All short vowels are practiced in this game. If you want more examples, I can provide. It'll have to be later though.

Jennifer
Camp Homeschool
Back to Top View Jennifer's Profile Search for other posts by Jennifer

kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

I have a COGS, Montessori inspired Phonics program for sale over on the trading post....

it's called In the Beginning Was a Picture and was written by Tamar Hugoboom.

I thought it was lovely. There's a pictorgram for each letter of the alphabet. I forgot to mention that I have photos available to anyone who wants to see.

God bless,
Kathleen

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

We really have enjoyed Little Stories for Little Folks from CHC. No muss, no fuss, just get right to the reading. Several of mine just didn't have patience for the other stuff, no matter how colorful or fun it was supposed to be.

For those that LSFLF didn't take, Seton Press phonics (kindergarten) was great for.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version