Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Let's talk vacuums.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We have a Riccar. Its very light, very powerful, not bagless and American made. I bought it at a local vac. dealer, and they have been wonderful. I sucked up several bolt on accident (they were under the couch ) and did crack the housing. They fixed it right away, and at no labor cost to me (even though, obviously my fault) the warranty truly covers all parts for 5 years.

Riccar

LeeAnn
Back to Top View sewcrazy's Profile Search for other posts by sewcrazy

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote doris

We've got a Henry. (AKA Numatic). The vacuum cleaner shop told me that Dysons break down a lot, and after being used for a while aren't any better at cleaning than Henrys (Henries?) while being a lot more expensive.

I tried my inlaws' Dyson once and it nearly killed me! Soooo heavy and difficult to manoeuvre. Stairs were impossible! (All you Dyson fans -- don't lynch me! I'm not the only one though -- I found lots of grumpy reviews here.)

Incidentally, the Henry is used a lot by commercial cleaners -- which underlines for me its reliability and useability.

Buuut -- the nearest distributor to the US is in Canada -- not very appealing probably! Website here.

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

I have a Kenmore canister and love it. I couldn't justify the extra expense for a Dyson, and they're Huuuuuuuge anyway! Our townhouse has way too many stairs for a Dyson (they didn't have the canister yet when I was vacuum shopping). We have wood floors with only a few throw rugs (the basement is carpeted, though), so I use the Kenmore for deep cleaning a couple of times a month and an Electrolux Pronto for everyday maintenance.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

There is a newer, lighter DYson model out, ladies.

I LOVE my Dyson Animal. Got it for Valentine's Day. It really does clean my old carpet. It definitely looks MUCH better than it did with my old vacuum (a bagged model).

I have carpet, area rugs, hardwood, and vinyl. It works great on all of them. And mine came with attachments that I believe would be fine for stairs (admittedly, I don't have stairs, so I wouldn't know for sure, lol).

But the lighter version is relatively new, so you might want to check that one out.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Lillian
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 1:27am | IP Logged Quote Lillian

My dh JUST got me a new vacuum two days ago. I really thought it was going to be a Dyson since he's always wanted one. He's been waiting for my old vacuum to die.

When the time came he looked up Consumer Reports and came home with the Kenmore IntellClean. I like it so far! Its not bagless and its pretty light with all the attachments.

It has a light sensor to tell you when all the dust/dirt/junk is picked up. Works on both carpet and wood floors. Pretty neat!

It's first test was vacuuming up a light bulb off the wood floors. My ds thought it would be neat to throw one from up stairs. The light sensors told me when it was done. So far no one has stepped on a stray piece of glass!!

Good luck finding the right vacuum!

Isabelle 9, Anna 7, Sophia 5, Kolbe 4, Catherine 2

Smithflections

Back to Top View Lillian's Profile Search for other posts by Lillian Visit Lillian's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I have an Electrolux canister--the basic model, much like the old fashioned ones. But, it's so much lighter. I needed a new vacuum with a hard-floor attachment (our old vacuum was an upright Kenmore--it went with our old carpeted house). I love my Electrolux. It makes vacuuming a pleasure (I'm not kidding ) Of course, you'd think my floors would be cleaner
I've had it for a year, and the fun hasn't worn off!   It's got a 5 year warranty, so that justifies a lot of the expense.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

stefoodie wrote:
Tami, which Sebo do you have, and how much was it? Thanks,

Stef, it's an Automatic X-1, we bought it back in 2001 (maybe 2002) and it was probably $499, but I KNOW I did not pay more than $250 for it! The shop I went to gave me a deep, deep discount, which included ~ $100 for my old vac, which was a piece of junk! I was ready to walk out of the shop, but the owner didn't want to lose a sale!

Mine has an 8hp motor, they now all have at least a 12hp. Around here, we tend to use things until they break beyond repair, and I know that I will never ~need~ another vac (and the shop-owner confirmed this today!) . I only need to replace bags, filters and the roller (and I'm still using my original roller).

Interesting enough, in the time between when I first saw the Sebo and actually bought it (about 18 months), I met and became friends with an older woman who was a house-cleaner extraordinaire! She knew *everything* about housekeeping and cooking - I always wanted to sit at her feet and learn from her! One day we had volunteered to do a local cleaning project, and she brought her own supplies. When she walked in with a Sebo vacuum, I KNEW I was on the right track! I was able to get mine about 6 months later!

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Hi Chari! Why don't you come on over and you can vacuum my whole house with my Dyson?? I'll even let you empty the canister and clean my window tracks with the attachements!

My model is a simpler one, not the "Animal"...its hot pink and purple. I love it, and have gone through several Wal-mart specials before finally purchasing the Dyson.

Oh, and I'll serve you a cup of tea when you are done vacuuming...and we can talk about that trip of yours!
Shawna

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

ShawnaB wrote:
Hi Chari! Why don't you come on over and you can vacuum my whole house with my Dyson?? I'll even let you empty the canister and clean my window tracks with the attachements!

And when you finish Shawna's you're welcome to come do my house (with Shawna's vacuum, of course, since you like it so much). Granted, I'm in Ohio...

Too funny!
I just had to laugh at this one

Thanks for the smile,
Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth, I think I read that Kathryn killed her Henry!
Dyson is a mixed bag when you read online reviews.

There are different models of Dyson vacuums. Consumer Reports did highly rate the ball, DC15.

http://www.dyson.com/range/range_overview.asp?model=DC14&sin avtype=pagelink]I have the DC14, and the different levels is according to the number of attachments.

When everyone mentions the Dyson Animal, do you mean the DC17?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 1:13am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Thanks everybody............you have given me some good leads. I am going to borrow Consumer Reports from the library tomorrow.

I am NOT!!! (is that emphatic enough????) going to vacuum Shawna's whole house.......I am WAY TOO TIRED ....but, I WILL take her up on a cup of tea, and PLAY with her Dyson. How nice I get a hands-on demo. Quite convenient.

Christine.......I would be happy to come vacuum YOUR house, except it will be awhile before I am back in Ohio! Sorry I missed the opportunity to vacuum for you when we were there in June and July

Today, I had to fix the belt on my lemon THREE times, before I finally CHANGED the belt............which I had replaced only two weeks ago!!!

See? Desperate!

Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

Chari,

When you are here in September, you can spend some time using my Dyson. As I was walking through the vacuum isle in Wal Mart yesterday, my first thought was, Oh how glad I am I don't have to mess with the bags anymore. I love my Dyson.

God Bless
Robynn
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Ha! I have Shawna's Dyson here right now! I will give it a try in the am......and see how it goes!

Robynn, sweet as your offer is.........I KNOW you were just trying to find a way to get me to vacuum your house while I visit. NOT going to happen. Nice try though

ps........I really need to talk to you!!! Soon!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version