Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Naming your Home School Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 28 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

msclavel wrote:
I have always, rather reflexively put down Our Lady of Guadalupe School. The feast is my birthday, I'm hispanic and I've always felt very close Her. Sometimes I think I don't like it, but then every time I'm asked to name our school, that's all that comes to mind.

Our school is Our Lady of Guadalupe school too! We're not hispanic, but my youngest dd has had a very great devotion to Her since she was 3. So for us, it was the logical choice.
I'm really enjoying reading all the other suggestions!

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

We also named our school Our Lady of Guadalupe! And we are German! Her name just came to me when I was discern the call to homeschool. And now I have a great attachment to her (plus lots of pictures and statues as well).

We know a bit about Pier Georgio Frassati. Our oldest ds did a paper on him. He is a great saint and wouldl make a wonderful choice for a school name.

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Our homeschool is The Academy of the Eternal Word. My dh named it so b/c he has a special admiration for Mother Angelica of EWTN television. He admires her spunk and boldness in standing up for Truth. As our greatest hope is to raise children who are not afraid to stand up for Truth and are devoted to our Lord, the name fits perfectly!

Dawn

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2007 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Our homeschool is Our Lady of Grace Academy. I have always love that statue of Our Lady so when we decided to name it, everyone agreed on Our Lady of Grace.

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

Lillian
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 28 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote Lillian

Matilda,

We named our homeschool Mother Theresa Homeschool. We chose Mother Theresa because she saw Christ in everyone. And I need to remember to see Christ in my children (on those tough days ) as well as teach them to see Christ in others (incl. family members)

I love how she focused on serving the poor but also did daily adoration. She encountered Jesus in the Eucharist and in the poor. And she loved children and was so pro-life.

I love her quotes and thought (back when oldest was in Kinder) when starting to homeschool that we could use her sayings for copywork .

We have a small statue of her in our classroom. And the girls take turns dressing up as Mother Theresa on All Saint's Day.

My second choice was St. John Bosco. Maybe I can have an all girls homeschool (for my 4 daughters) under the patronage of Mother Theresa, and an all boys school under St. John Bosco?? Hmmmmmmmm......

Isabelle 9, Anna 7, Sophia 5, Kolbe 4, Catherine 2

Smithflections

Back to Top View Lillian's Profile Search for other posts by Lillian Visit Lillian's Homepage

MrsKey
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2007 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote MrsKey

We're torn this year. In the past we have chosen to call our homeschool St. Thomas the Apostle Academy, for DH's patron saint.

This year we are leaning toward changing it to St. Michael the Archangel Academy. I feel that invoking the name of St. Michael, a protector of Christians is a good idea.

Back to Top View MrsKey's Profile Search for other posts by MrsKey

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

I've always jokingly called our homeschool "By the Intercession of Saint Anthony Hobbit Homeschool" because I call on St. Anthony daily to help me find something and because I am currently schooling 4 (well, down to three now )boys and they eat ALL day! But, Blessed Pier Frassati realy appeals to me as I revamp our schedule and curriculum for no high school student this year. Also, for the first time we will be starting the year with a special homeschoolers mass which would be a perfect time to have a patron blessed for our school. Thanks for bringing this up. It's given me alot to think about....

Shari
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

My kids are still pretty little, but I thought about this question when we were planning to move to a state that required naming the homeschool. We didn't end up moving there, actually, but it was fun to think about. Our patron is Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom. If we had to officially name a school, I think I'd call it Sedes Sapientia Academy. I started a blog just after coming up with the name and the blurb explaining my blog title is:

"Wisdom reaches from end to end mightily and orders all things sweetly (Wisdom 8:1). As our family does its small part in shaping the future of humanity we call on divine Wisdom to help us order every action of our lives--from diaper changes to dissertations."

I have also always loved the statue of Sedes Sapientia. I agree that if you don't have a particular saint in mind, you can't go wrong under Mary's protection!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote mariB

We just named our homeschool Saint Benedict Academy. We read about him this year and we became admirers of St. Benedict. I love the protection aspect of St. Benedict and we also keep bee hives.

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote amyable

We've gone through several different unofficial school names in the 5 or so years since we started homeschooling. I think first it was "Good Shepherd Academy" - I liked the image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd showing me the way and protecting us as I tried to show my children the way, and protect them! Then somewhere along the line we also used "Seat of Wisdom" like Susan, although I could never remember the spelling of the Latin so I stuck to English.

Right now we stumbled upon "Epiphany Prep School". I like how "epiphany" can have the double meaning - liturgical as well as intellectual. (We also think God reached down to us this past Epiphany to place a little soul in my womb - a definite added bonus tying us to that name! ) We don't of yet have a patron saint of our school. I'm kind of waiting for some saint to present themselves!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

We call ourselves, half-jokingly and half-officially, Saint Daniel the Stylite Academy. My own patron saint is Thomas More, but in writing this article about homeschooling last year, I recalled a morning when we'd been reading about Saint Daniel the Stylite (our most-used saints' dictionary covers pretty much all calendars, and some very obscure saints!), and the idea came to me, for reasons I articulated in the article, that Saint Daniel would be a good -- not to mention highly original -- patron for our homeschool.

Pax,

Sally

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Sally,
I loved your article and the name! Thanks for sharing it.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

marcie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote marcie

We have been Holy Family Homeschool for the past 2 years. Dh chose the name on the spur of a moment. After much prayer, we are going to go with The Seelos Academy after Blessed Francis Seelos. We have a relic and we also have frequent opportunities to go to his shrine, which is in New Orleans. www.seelos.org

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Thanks, Matilda. I love the way you describe your child-lineup -- we have exactly the opposite: bookend girls with a double boy sandwich. I usually say the girls are the bookends, and the boys are the books.

Pax,

Sally

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

We've officially named ours St. George's Homeschool.
(any saint who could kill a dragon has got to be pretty cool to little boys!)
Thanks for gettting this ball rolling, Matilda!
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I never thought of naming my homeschool...but this is my first year. We'll see how it goes, but I'm inclined towards something along the lines of Christ the King Homeschool.

I was a candidate for 1 year with the School Sisters of Christ the King, a diocesan teaching order, when I was in college and their devotion to Christ the King stuck with me. My mom has a devotion to the Infant of Prague and I just found an old school hymn to the "Little King", that I posted here.
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version