Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Must-haves for postpartum Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 03 2007 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Honey bear!

Sorry...I don't know if someone has listed this; I checked and didn't see it.

Get a nice fresh squeeze bottle of honey and liberally apply to pads. I guarantee it will not stay sticky. Honey is an antiseptic/anti-inflammatory...can you say "Aaaahhhh?"

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

time4tea wrote:
Back labor is the only kind of labor I ever seem to have! Actually, I do get "regular" labor pains, too, but my back is usually so excruciating I don't even notice anything else.....

Me too! It's no fun...
Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

time4tea wrote:
Marilyn,

I almost forgot - I have been thinking about getting one of those PP tummy supports, too. What kind do you have and are they really supportive without making you feel constricted?

Thanks in advance!

I got a stretchy one from Babies R Us - first time I will be using one so no real opinion yet. I have heard that they are great with a C-Section and also with a regular delivery they help with support and flattening. I'll let you know soon I hope

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

JennGM wrote:
I love to see all your lists! Marilyn, you are super organized mom!

There was another thread about c/s supports, and another where Molly Smith had some wonderful suggestions about what to bring to the hospital.

I'd add arnica to this list, for both types of delivery. My cousin who has delivered 11 children (1 c/s) has used it for each baby and swears by it for ease of pain and recovery.

My other additive is personal. I need my mother, and she makes the first comfort food meals: French Toast for breakfast and chicken and rice for dinner.

Jenn - I went and got some Boiron Arnica today - 30cc I think. Thanks for the recommendation.

Re being organized - I am so blessed to have been given these extra weeks - as soon as I no longer had to restrict my activity - I was up and about. DH says it makes him tired just looking at me!!

My mother has made my favorite chicken and rice soup and put it in the freezer - she will come for a few days when Steve goes back to work.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Betsy wrote:
time4tea wrote:
Back labor is the only kind of labor I ever seem to have! Actually, I do get "regular" labor pains, too, but my back is usually so excruciating I don't even notice anything else.....

Me too! It's no fun...
Betsy

Me too - I am not very brave with the pain.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Thanks so much for this thread and for the reviews Elizabeth. I am about 6 weeks from delivery, but all of my babes have come about 2 weeks early. I'm begining to think of stocking up and the nesting bug has surly bit!

I've been thinking of one of those flax socks for my back (sounds good to me now, baby has finally stayed head down for more than 24 hours, but he's sunny side up and my lower back is killing me!) but how would I go about heating it if we don't have a microwave?

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2007 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Lisa,
This is totally NOT what you were asking (tho I would also LOVE to know how to heat something like that w/out a microwave!) but have you ever seen this website? spinningbabies.com

My sil got her baby to turn around with this.

Random thought I had while reading your post, but you probably know way more about this than me!

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 18 2007 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Someone was wondering about raspberry leaf - what a wonderful herb!! It's the ultra female herb. It prepares the uterus for birth, tones the uterus after birth, helps to produce wonderful milk for the baby, as well as many numerous other good effects. I just went on a quick search and found this short write up:

http://www.christian-mommies.com/ages/in-the-womb/using-red- raspberry-as-an-effective-aid-during-pregnancy-childbirth-an d-beyond/

I do believe I can attest to its usefulness. My 1st (w/o rrl) was a typical 18 hour labour. (With the rest I did take rrl.) My 2nd was 1 1/2 hrs. start to finish. My 3rd was 6 hours and born in the car (3 years ago today!!), and my fourth was 4 hours. In a couple months I get to find out how number 5 will be.

Another form of red raspberry is the Red Meeker Raspberry Seed. I'm not sure how to state this properly, but it's much higher in the quality content that red rasberry leaf itself contains. Did that make sense? In other words, very little of this will equal a lot of red raspberry leaf capsules/tea. It was originally developed for cancer patients, but afterward they (the makers/harvesters, whatever) found out about it's usefulness in pregnancy. A little goes a long way. A 230 gm container lasted me 2 pregnancies and only cost about $40.00 (at that time and from a trade show). Here's the site, but unfortunately it seems to be unavailable at the moment:

http://www.aviva.ca/shop/products.asp?itemid=660&catid=181

As for bras, Bravado was my favourite until I came across certain Thyme Maternity ones. Perhaps it's just me, b/c I'm a "flattie", but the Thyme ones have this cloth like a donut (that goes under the other cloth that gets hooked) that surrounds the breast but exposes enough so that you pull them out and they "stick out" more. This helps me with nursing, as well as adding some fullness under the shirt. (Sorry, a source of embarrassment and low self-esteem for me.)

Ah,breast infections and mastitis. The joys of nursing. I had it 4 times in one month with my oldest. Ouch. What I did was put boiling water in a water bottle, wrap it in a teatowel and apply it directly to the sore spot. (Also, rest and lots of water. Breast infections can be a sign of doing too much too soon.)Anyway, I got all blotchy and thought, "Oh great, now what have I done?" But it went away never to come back! (for her.) Then, with each of the other ones, as soon as I started getting aches and the chills I did the same procedure: boiling water in a water bottle wrapped in a teatowel. Each time it went away never to come back. A herbalist also told me LOTS of Vit. C (4000mg), and red raspberry are also helpful.

Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version