Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Cursive movable alphabet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 03 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I love what Donna Marie is doing with the glitter glue, I think we'll go this route too!! My olddest can probably make them for me

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 03 2007 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

Thanks guys, you inspired today's blog post:

Trial and Error in the Classroom and at Home

Also, I know that many of you have links to my blog. I recently switched my blog to my store (it was hosted at Blogger before), so the old blog link goes straight to my homepage.

If you'd rather link to the blog and not the store homepage, the new blog link is this:

http://www.montessoriforeveryone.com/blog/

Thank you all so much!
Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 03 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Your post was just awesome Lori! And exactly what I needed to hear in order to focus on the true spirit of Maria Montessori. I appreciate particularly your philosophy on "tweaking." As a homeschooling mother, I'm always tweaking in some way in order to help a child achieve a particular goal. In Montessori, I want to strike that balance of using a material properly, and being able to "tweak" a material or work in order to accomodate a child's needs. It's not one size fits all - and I think I really needed to hear that! All good thoughts! Thank you.    

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JoJo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 03 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote JoJo

My 6dd attended has been to two Montessori preschools. She was taught print at the first one, and the second one used "cursive" from the start. I put cursive in quotation marks, as down here there are several stages to the cursive - the first stage just uses the 'flowy' rounded letters, but they are not joined at all, which I think makes it quite easy for little ones to deal with. The joined letters are not taught until 3-4 years later or so.

At home I prefer to use cursive, and at the moment we are focussing on trying to fit the letters on the lines. For that I might print a sentence or two (that's about her limit) using the cursive font (which I bought on the net) about something that we are studying, eg. birds, or insects, or whatever, and she then traces it.

That said, if she does not have the cursive letters in front of her to copy, she mixes up her letter types - so you get a mix of cursive, print, upper and lower case. But at this stage I don't worry about correcting her. She's writing, so that's a big step for her.

I made my movable alphabet in print only, and that was after a lot thinking about whether to use cursive or print. In the end I reasoned that the movable alphabet was to help her read, and print is what she sees in books etc. That's probably not 100% correct, as I can also see that it's also meant to help with writing /spelling.

On a lot of my 3 part cards / definitions etc I mainly use cursive - so that if she copies the labels / definitions, she will then be encouraged to use cursive.

Jo
Mum of 4dc
Back to Top View JoJo's Profile Search for other posts by JoJo

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 03 2007 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Hi, Lori. Great post! I am wondering if you have written in more detail about the fine skill of observation you mentioned. If you haven't, I would love to hear what you have to say on this topic!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Mackfam wrote:
Your post was just awesome Lori! And exactly what I needed to hear in order to focus on the true spirit of Maria Montessori. I appreciate particularly your philosophy on "tweaking." As a homeschooling mother, I'm always tweaking in some way in order to help a child achieve a particular goal. In Montessori, I want to strike that balance of using a material properly, and being able to "tweak" a material or work in order to accomodate a child's needs. It's not one size fits all - and I think I really needed to hear that! All good thoughts! Thank you.    

You said this so perfectly and expressed my feelings exactly Jennifer! What a wonderful post Lori, thank you!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 06 2007 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

Aw, you guys are great. I love hanging out here - it's good for my self-esteem =)

Great idea for a post, Kristin, on observation in Montessori. Look for that one soon!
Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version