Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Montessori globes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

You know what makes a nice smooth surface and is great for the kiddoes to handle?...model magic put out by crayola!... I know it made a great model of Bob the Tomato so I think it will work for this application...
hmmm...I think I just might be using this medium this time...    I was thinking of using a metal hanger to secure the globe into some kind of base...any ideas for that?

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Catholicmommy...I giggled at the site you found those globes on...you are the Google Queen!!!

I bookmarked it too!

Thanks!   

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

CatholicMommy wrote:
Some printable globes to make

You'll have to scroll through the list, but there are several types of printable globes to cut out and glue on. I may just have to do this, but I've really been wanting just a regular cheap globe to paint - it just sounds fun! I give it one more week, then I'll have to just make them this way, and then I'll have to figure out how to display them at the proper angle and turn. Any ideas?

Here's the one I'd most likely use

ETA: I could just glue the globe at an angle onto a small round base - maybe add a pole coming out of the north and south poles to show where the axis is.

Thank you for this last site...It was in my bookmarks and I lost it! They have a few nifty ideas here....I was going to make a model of the earth using different sized styrofoam balls, but was afraid of the fall out from my younger ones... I think I will have them make a model and cut away part of it using sculpey...what do you think?? but then again...I am going in sooo many directions with my curricula thoughts...

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

KackyK wrote:
Catholicmommy...I giggled at the site you found those globes on...you are the Google Queen!!!

I bookmarked it too!

Thanks!   

Not really - it's funny - it takes me weeks to somehow come up with the *right* search words to find a good site; I get frustrated; then suddenly it's right in front of me. I laugh at myself because I go through the same cycle every single time!      So now, I have two options: make or buy/fix. I'll go for buy/fix this time, but now I have saved the other site in case anyone else later wants to make one.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2007 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote Eleanor

For those who have yet to buy globes, I was just looking around for something a little bigger than 4", and found these Nova Rico 6" mini globes from geographystore.com ($6.50 each).

And for the really budget conscious, these 4" globes are only $2.99. They're on a swiveley stand, rather than the traditional axis, but maybe someone would be willing to work around that. As a bonus, they're sold by Christianbook.com, which has a wide range of Catholic books, homeschool supplies, and many other things... so you might even be able to combine purchases and save on shipping.

I've ordered the 6" ones... what a relief to have that taken care of. If it weren't for CatholicMommy's posts, I'd still be looking for old globes in thrift shops. (Talk about a wild goose chase!)
Back to Top View Eleanor's Profile Search for other posts by Eleanor

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 26 2007 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Eleanor wrote:
For those who have yet to buy globes, I was just looking around for something a little bigger than 4", and found these Nova Rico 6" mini globes from geographystore.com ($6.50 each).   

Eleanor - thanks for that link!! I am going to call today to see when they anticipate having the physical map back in stock! Fingers crossed that they will re-stock it!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JoJo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote JoJo

Hi, my name is Jo and I have just joined this forum.

I have made a continents globe for my 6yo like the Montessori globe, using a cheap (6" I think) globe from a discount store. First with a thick black permanent marker I traced over the continents, then painted each continent one at a time with acrylic paints. From memory I did two coats for most of the continents, but Asia (yellow) needed extra coverage. I then traced over the black outlines again (to give it a crisp finish), and then gave it a quick coat of sealer.

It came out quite good. The only thing was, as it was a cheap globe, the frame broke after several uses . And I cannot find the same globes in the stores again. So it just sits on an empty peanut butter jar lid. Oh well.

Jo
Back to Top View JoJo's Profile Search for other posts by JoJo

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Jo -
Welcome. And thanks for jumping in! I actually think the peanut butter lid is a really good idea. You could figure out the angle of tilt for the earth, set it on the p.b. lid, trace around it with a fine tip Sharpie ( my favorite art implement) and then you'd always be able to see what angle to set it back on its base. Great idea! Thanks!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 26 2007 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Hi everybody - just in case you're interested. I called The Geography Store today about the 6"physical globe that was listed as out of stock on their site. It just so happens that she had one left - so I got it. yay!

I didn't forget you guys though! I asked and they do have one other small physical globe, but it's only 4" and is more expensive - $12.99. The lady I spoke to, Jenna, said if you were willing to buy 6 or more at a time, she could work out a price break - not sure if any of you are close enought to go in on a few globes ??? It does spin and tilt which is really cool. It is the cousin of this globe (which is also a temptation - might have to come back to it in the future!) - only instead of the constellations, it is just a physical globe. Jenna said she would try to get the physical globe up on their site by the end of the week so you could see it. But, in the meantime, it's still available, and if you're interested in calling about it here's the info:

Jenna - 303-688-3396 ext 216
Mention you're with the 4real group in case she's not there because she is going to leave special pricing instructions (for the 6 or more qty) with someone else.

Don't know if this helps anyone - just wanted to mention it.

I have learned one thing this summer - IT PAYS TO CALL!! Companies don't always offer something extra, but the customer service, bonus unlisted items, offers of price breaks/coupons/extra sales have been so worth the time it took to call.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Bravo!!! Thank you for doing all of this Jennifer, you are awesome ! What a help for everyone!   

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I am so happy we are all finally finding globes for decent prices! I was starting to think it wasn't possible...

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I just found this link in my favorites- while looking for the MTC link:
Embroider a Globe
Looks like a cool project for someone who is talented at needlework!
Thanks for all the globe info!

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version