Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Moveable alphabet- make or buy? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 07 2007 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Meredith wrote:
I am debating on this as well. There is a decent plastic version at M-n-S for $20, I think I will do this and set it up in a tackle box! Plastic Moveable Alphabet

Meredith:
Did you see the small moveables + box from Alison's? It's $38 for 155 letters. The plastic one from M-n-S is $20 for 105 letters plus you have to buy a box. Not sure how much tackle boxes are these days, but I'm always surprised .maybe just a couple bucks . Anyway.....$10 (if that) or so extra for the wood ones...?? may be worth it?????

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2007 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I love the M&Such wooden letters. I've been saving up to buy them because I like the those, with a lid and box is also special. Right now ds is using any letters he can find to spell words, so it won't be a waste.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

SuzanneG wrote:

Meredith:
Did you see the small moveables + box from Alison's? It's $38 for 155 letters. The plastic one from M-n-S is $20 for 105 letters plus you have to buy a box. Not sure how much tackle boxes are these days, but I'm always surprised .maybe just a couple bucks . Anyway.....$10 (if that) or so extra for the wood ones...?? may be worth it?????

See, you are like my Secretary I DO like those, and they appear to be the identical cut-out of my See-n-Spell letters, however, the M-n-S ones are blue consonants and red vowels and I think I prefer that Oh and the tackle boxes I've been using are only around $2.75 each, but for this one, I may have to spend a little more...

Off to Cabela's this weekend, woohoo, hunting and fishing extraordinaire

Thanks so much for shopping around, it's really informative to have us all pulling together for each other, I've learned SO MUCH from everyone!!

Blessings to you!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2007 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Meredith wrote:

See, you are like my Secretary !

Meredith wrote:
however, the M-n-S ones are blue consonants and red vowels and I think I prefer that

I HAVE to ask.....why do you prefer blue consonants? Just a personal preference? or is there a visual/development reason?

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2007 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Oh heavens, I'm not really sure, I just LIKE the blue consonants better. I see Kid Advance has red consonants and blue vowels, I guess for me, VISUALLY I like the ...blue with the red vowels standing out. I'm SURE there's a Montessori reason....I'm looking it up, anyone, Andrea, Angela...

ETA:Well, I guess I'm wierd here's the MWEI introduction the the Large Moveable Alphabet, they are RED consonants and BLUE vowels, sigh...

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2007 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Meredith, I've seen them both ways. And I've also seen presentations that say use only black, and others that say when doing phonemes, use two sets of different colors, using one color for the phoneme and the other color for the rest of the word. Nienhuis sells many colors.
So, unless there is some dire, drastic reason, I think you could use whatever suits your fancy! I have my printed set in blue vowels, but would have preferred the opposite, because I think it makes the vowels stand out more if red. But perhaps it is more important in beginning stages for the consonants to stand out (beginning, ending sounds, etc).So, what do I know. I just print and use!LOL!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Here is an idea. Get a set of all red and a set of all blue. Swap the vowels in each set and now you have it both ways!LOL!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

My alphabet has red consonants and blue vowels. Honestly, I have no idea why. Like Theresa said, there are also black alphabets, red alphabets, and blue alphabets. I like having the vowels and consonants different colors, personally, but I guess I don't have a preference for which are red or blue... although red for vowels probably *would* stand out more.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 08 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

The colors don't matter- blue and red are used b/c they are easy for young children to discriminate. So blue consonants and red vowels or vice versa doesn't matter- BUT the color scheme of movable alphabet and sandpaper letters is supposed to be consistent.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2007 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Well, I decided to go for the small moveable alphabet from Alison's for $38 after all. I called this afternoon and they were kind enough to include it in my recent order, which will ship on Monday, without charging me a whole new shipping fee. Thank you!

I decided not to print my own simply because I believe that the wooden letters in their own box with little compartments will intrigue my children more. Ds is never very interested in the things I print off and laminate myself. He is very tactile- pick up, feel, move around- so maybe the flat squares just don't grab his imagination. Who knows? I'm still waiting for my instruction manual for him to arrive

Anyway- good discussion, and, as usual, I learned a tremendous amount. Thanks, everyone!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2007 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

SeaStar wrote:
Well, I decided to go for the small moveable alphabet from Alison's for $38 after all.

Me too. We've had other weird letters and they aren't drawn to them, cuz they're...well...wierd. i love how these are cut, how they look, etc. I also haven't had a box in the past, which is nec.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version