Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: What have you made...what are you making? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lillian
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 09 2007 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote Lillian

WOW! I am so impressed (and overwhelmed) by all these wonderful ideas. What books/websites are you reading or recommend? The only Montessori books I have include Elizabeth Hainstock's Teaching Montessori in the Home. I have both the preschool and school years. The others focus mainly on reading and writing. My oldest is 9. I REALLY liked the idea someone mentioned above of life cycle cards for animals. Where could I go to get more ideas like that?

I already have sandpaper letters. And I'm not really wanting to make any math manipulatives since I HAVE TONS!!

But I would love more ideas for history and science. Sorry if this is too off topic. I still don't know how to start a new one. Thanks in advance!

Blessings,
Lillian
mommy to dd 9, dd 7, dd 5, ds 4, and dd 1

Smithflections
Back to Top View Lillian's Profile Search for other posts by Lillian Visit Lillian's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 09 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lillian - Great to have you here! Well, we are all right on the cusp of this whole Montessori thing - and you're right, our little forum has been buzzing lately with tons of awesome ideas!

You're right in there with most of the rest of us - we've got infants, toddlers, preschoolers, elementary on up.

I'm going to try to set you up with some websites to peruse for the weekend - sort of get you munching on ideas. Meredith, our moderator, is usually right on top of things here with great ideas and encouragement. I remember her saying in another thread a couple of days ago that her sweet husband wasn't going to be in town this weekend, so she was bringing her precious family to him! So...I'm betting she won't be checking in this weekend. I know she and the other awesome ladies here will be back in full swing come Monday. So....for your weekend enjoyment...

Let's start with general - not sure if you already have some of these presentations or not, so I'll just mention them in case you don't. These sites are great sources of info - free ideas. And most of us here have printed off part or all of the presentations from these sites. Ladies, I know I'm going to forget something, so please jump in when you check this.
Montessori Mom
Hands On Home Learning
Livable Learning Home Page - Just a note - this is the home page. I am including a second link (below) to their specific page for Catholic Montessori just in case you miss it in navigating around all of this stuff I'm sending you. It's too good to miss.
Montessori for Catholics/JMJ Publishing
Montessori World Educational Institute
Montessori Teachers Collective
Family Education Printables
Montessori Materials Group

Now, for a few awesome blogs. The first two I'll link to are trained Montessori teachers.
Montessori for Everyone - Lori is the author of this blog, and if you are looking for nomenclature cards on history, science, animal life cycle or anything else you can imagine, she's got them in her store. You can get to it easily from her blog. Her cards are awesome - I have almost everything she offers Also, Meredith has arranged for Lori to be a guest speaker with us on Tuesday. Check out this thread for more details.
Montessori By Hand - awesome ideas here!
I wanted to list the blogs here of those on this board that have awesome ideas, but there are just too many to list. If you read back through some of the threads we have been discussing, check out some of the ladies' blogs. Often there are ideas and philosophies presented on the blogs that don't make it up here in entirety. Theresa and Donna Marie in particular are great inspiration for home-made materials! Meredith too. See, it's hard to just single out a few, there are so many ideas here.

Take your time reading through. I hope I haven't given you too much to be overwhelming. Just bookmark and come back to them when you can. Now, time for shopping links.     I know I'm going to leave out a few, again, hoping the other ladies will chime in.
Alison's Montessori
Kid Advance
Montessori Concepts
Montessori Services

Think that's enough to keep you busy for the weekend? If you're looking for specific ideas on science and history - you're in the right place. Theresa's been throwing out some great ideas that I think we're all running with - continent boxes to go with Montessori maps. I'm setting up some science/nature study centers. Keep watching, as everyone's orders start rolling in, the ideas will start rolling out. You're not too late to catch some great inspiration from these ladies.

BTW, to start a new topic, look up in the upper right hand corner, just below the icons that list "active topics, favorites, logout, etc." There are three happy little buttons "Post reply" "New Topic" "New Poll" Click New Topic, and you're on your way.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Welcome, Lilian!So glad to have you join us here! As Jennifer said, we are all still trying to figure all of this out ourselves. And though some are further on the path than others, we are all in it together!

Jennifer, I am so glad you did this!I was about to get started on that daunting task when I saw you had done the work for me!
I'd like to add as resources:
Suppliers:
Montessori and Such
Montessori Outlet
Along with Alisons, those are my favorite suppliers.

Blogs:Kim at Starry Sky Ranchis where I got my first Montessori inspiration. She also has great lists of books and resources for Montessori on her sidebars.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 09 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh Theresa, I'm so glad you remembered to mention Kim at Starry Sky Ranch. She was one of my first sources of inspiration too - for so many great things. Lots of great Montessori ideas there! I knew I'd forget something!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2007 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

For anyone interested in making life cycle cards, I put some of my files in my boxnet here.
They are not formatted into cards or anything, just pictures and labels, so you can format them how you wish. Perhaps it will save a little Google searching, anyway.
If you want to see how I used them, try here:The circle of life

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2007 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Wow, guys, thanks for jumping in and Welcome Lillian!! Great to have you here. I'm sure you've been through many of our threads, but if you page through a couple of pages you should find lots of good answers and MORE links believe it or not Keep checking in, we've been very busy here lately!

Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2007 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I just posted on my blog our homemade brown stairs and our unique take on presentation extension.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 23 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm impressed - your cardboard and rice filled Brown Stairs look awesome, and have obviously held up well since your son is stepping up the stairs!! They look great!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

AndreaG wrote:
4. Sound boxes for each letter of the alphabet (I already have sound cards and objects to put in these)
4. Number boxes (I think I came up with this idea myself, similar to sound boxes only with a number on the top, the kids take a box and try to fill it with the number of objects)

Andrea, where did you find all of your jewelry boxes for your sound box activities??? And if these weren't available/affordable, what would you choose to use for the boxes instead??? Thanks, I can't wait to put these together

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Well I originally found them at Michaels, but to save $$$ I order them in bulk from www.papermart.com . I googles around to find the cheapest price. They were 25 cents each but came in a case of 100. I think I will be able to find many montessori and crafty uses for them- or even use them as gift boxes! The ones I got were item # W451133 the 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 by 1 inch white gloss box. I am quite pleased with them and already dreaming up more projects for the remaining boxes.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 26 2007 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

That's really helpful to know - about the little boxes I mean! Thank you so much Andrea. I was wondering if you just got them from Michael's as well. Thanks for the tip.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Wonderful, thanks Andrea! I was just on the MWEI site as well, and I could cover several of them in Pink, Blue, and Green paper for the language series boxes

They might make really nifty Sensorial Sound Boxes as well if the contents are enclosed with packing tape

Well, I'm going to Michaels, or I'll try the papermart, cheers!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I just placed my order for 100 white gloss jewelry boxes from papermart!! Thanks so much Andrea, I can't wait to start filling them!!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 12:52am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Ok guys, confession of a craft impaired person. I am still trying to figure out how you are supposed to do all the card stuff. I have trouble even cutting on a line so creating is done by necessity over here and never by choice.

I am having to make a tabernacle since no one sells them anymore (probably a blessing in disguise in one way as funding is dry here). Someone told me to buy those trunk thingies at Michaels (with the curved lid) and spray paint it gold. Then I could line the inside and then stand it on its side with feet on the new bottom so it stands steady and that is all there is to it. I'm still trying to figure it out because I want a lock and key and now the latch is in the wrong place and....

We'll see what happens as I think we'll just have to plunge and do this soon.

I have tons of laminated prints (beautiful artwork) and still have not quite figured out how to make the activity aka Mommy its a Renoir or MOntessori control card/matching.

I really, really want to make some science classification cards and have been looking at the posts with pictures - but have yet to venture forth.

I was so glad to see the photo of the Good Shepherd parable as I could not figure out where I was supposed to put the black strip until I saw this. I must say my grass and water look a bit ragged due to my lack of cutting abilities. My 4 yo doesn't seem to mind, he is just so pleased that I have it done now - and it is close enough to Mackfam's that it meets his approval though he informed me that our fence is slightly differnt .

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Meredith- How exciting! I can't wait to hear how you use your boxes! They are great little things, rather like toob animals, pom poms and clothespins

Janet - I really sympathize with you- although I LOVE to do crafts I also have fine motor issues, you should see my horrible handwriting, I can't even read it! And I reverse letters, so teaching handwriting is a challenge, let alone making things like sandpaper letters. I never feel like my projects turn out as nice as those I see online, but my kids don't seem to mind, in fact I think they appreciate the effort I put into it. And I do learn alot making things, I really agree with CatholicMommy (at least I think that is who I am thinking of!) about the importance of making your own.
About the tabernacle- you don't want the box that has a curved top like a treasure chest, look for one with a flat top, then the fastener will be in the right place (or at least closer). I don't think there is a way to make it lock though.
Keep up the great work Ladies!

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Oh Janet, big hugs coming your way!! Try not to stress too much, it'll all come together! Do you have one of those scrapbooking cutters?? Let me look at mine...it's a Fiskars about 6" x 13" with a sliding cutter that is for trimming paper. That's what it's called, a Paper Trimmer, anyhoo, this is how I cut ALL my three-part cards, it makes it SO much easier than trying to do it by hand with scissors

Let me find a link...Fiskars Paper Trimmer This actually isn't the one I have, but you get the idea. I know they carry these at HL or Michaels as well. HTH and your tabernacle idea sounds fantastic!!
Blessings!

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

lapazfarm, can I ask you a quick question? You said that you made the parts of platyhelminthes cards for your daughter. Do you mind telling me which "parts" you highlighted for that phylum? I would like to make platyhelminthes cards but I don't know which parts are pertinent (I'm working on making all the invertebrates for my store by the end of the summer!)

Thanks!
Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

hi Lori!
The cards I made were for my older ds, and are taxonomy cards, not parts. For each phylum I make a phylum id card (in this case, platyhelminthes) and then a card for classes within phyla (cestoda, trematoda, and turbellaria). These have pictures of a representative animal from the group, names, and definitions.
As far as parts, for this group it would really depend on which class you chose a your representative. They all have a single pharyngeal opening and a branched gut, but if you chose class cestoda (tapeworms) you could also label the proglottids (segements) and the scolex (specialized anterior segment which is covered with hooks and serves as an anchor to the host organism). If you use a planarian as your representative organism you could label the gut, pharynx, and eyespots, and then perhaps the anterior and posterior ends. And maybe you could label the tegument (skin)? Other than that, these are pretty simple critters with not much to label.
Let me know if I can help in any other way.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 17 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Theresa -
For those of us who have no idea what you're talking about, THAT was a hysterical post! For those who understood, it was probably not so hysterical.    

Really. Where else can you get an email in your inbox with the words "phyla, cestoda, trematoda, and turbellaria"? Yes, yes.....the Montessori Forum, OF COURSE!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

C'mon, now! When you have a head all filled with this kind of stuff, you get excited at the RARE chance to use it!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version