Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Memoirs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 23 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Thanks, Kelly!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2005 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

As a result of this thread, I have been The Trapp Family Singers. I am really enjoying it. I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that the Trapp family is no longer a Catholic family. Do you know if this is true? If so, when did they left and why? Was it during Maria's lifetime?

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Natalia, sadly enough, I read about the Von Trapp grandchildren in a Protestant publication and about how they are now "born-again" Christians, yadda, yadda, yadda... I'm pretty sure the article was in CBD or that similar catalogue, the name escapes me right now. It shook me up to read that and it saddened me.

JoAnna

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

There's also an article about them in Mary Pride's Practical Homeschooling. I agree, very sad. . .

Anne Marie in NM

Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

anncap wrote:
   Oh! I have the perfect book for you!! Life Among the Savages by Shirley Jackson. This book was so funny and comforting to me a few years ago. I think it was written back in the 50's or so and I enjoyed reading about what it was like to raise a family back then. Amazon has it; I've been wanting to read it again. Ann in Tucson
I am so excited to recommend this book that this is my very first post on the forum! I think it might be exactly what you're looking for. :)

Ann:

I'm so glad you mentioned Life Among the Savages -- this was a "family classic" back when I was growing up. We had 7 kids in a Catholic school (my sister was in 8th, my little brother in K and all the rest in between) during the 70s when NO ONE had that big a family. Boy did we get teased.

Life Among the Savages and the sequel, Raising Demons, are so about our family!

Thanks for bringing back wonderful memories of books from my youth!

Blessings

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

jdostalik wrote:
Are there two versions of "My Heart Lies South"? I seem to remember a different version at my Catholic bookstore that was adult reading and all I can find on the web is a young people's edition...
Any help would be appreciated...I've wanted to read this for a while...

Jennifer -- my SIL and I have read both the old version and the newer "young people's edition" -- the only difference seems to be a reference to the MIL trying to set it up so the husband thinks his wife is having an affair (or vice versa, I can't remember exactly). But, basically, no REAL differences.

Hope this helps.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Mary G. wrote:
the only difference seems to be a reference to the MIL trying to set it up so the husband thinks his wife is having an affair (or vice versa, I can't remember exactly).

Hey Mary!

Our book club read it a few years ago; some of us read the older and some the newer. We figured it was the reference to the maid going out unchaperoned and was pregnant a few weeks later. Was that part left out of the young people's edition?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Yep, Gwen, that part was DEFINITELY left out of the newer version (didn't Bethlehem Books put out the newer version?)

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Thanks you all for clarifying the differences betw. the two different editions of "My Heart Lies South." I am off to order it now...I've been keeping it in my amazon cart forever!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote mary

I don't know if this book is in print anymore, but Save a Seat for me Timmy by Elsye Mahern is a wonderful book. It's written by a Catholic mom who's had 4 sons, one of whom, Timmy, died at age 6. It's a collection of essays that first appeared in the Indiana Catholic and Record in the 50s.

It was the last gift my sister gave me before she died and although it's very hard for me to read without bawling, the short essays are beautiful.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote momwise

jenngm67 wrote:
I have one book I highly recommend which is a series of autobiographical essays about being a wife/mother/writer in the suburbs. It's out of print, but readily available for cheap. Sixpence in Her Shoe (1964) by Phyllis McGinley. Very humorous.

Jenn, I'm reading a Phyllis McGinley book called The Province of the Heart and I have Sixpence here from the library. She is very funny and a fantastic writer!

Did anyone else besides Marybeth and Erica read Prizewinner from Defiance Ohio? It is one of my favorite books ever. What'd you think?

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I loved Prizewinner!!! I got my Mom hooked on Swimmng with Scapulars and then she is going to read Prizewinner. I also read Jew Store which was just simply wonderful!!

Isn't it amazing how creative and humble the Mom was in Prizewinner? I loved how the group got together to compare ideas, notes, suggestions, etc. about winning contests. The part about the woman losing power with the iron lung made me grumble less when our own power goes out...

Thanks for getting this thread going Gwen, and all the great reads.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2005 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Marybeth wrote:
Isn't it amazing how creative and humble the Mom was in Prizewinner? I loved how the group got together to compare ideas, notes, suggestions, etc. about winning contests. The part about the woman losing power with the iron lung made me grumble less when our own power goes out

*Very* creative indeed! And it was almost all done from an ironing board. But the way she made her girdle last after the company stopped making them has got to take the cake! Now if you're curious......you'll have to go get the book .

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2005 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I laughed so hard at the girdle part. I am so happy I don't have to go through all that!! I need to remember to count my blessings more when I think "I want it! I want it!" What people have/had to do for the basics. Whew!!

I am so blessed!

Marybeth

PS Just started the biography of Loretta Young..it is a great read thus far.
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2005 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Gwen,

What is it about that book (Prize Winner.....)?

I loved it for so many different reasons, but what really sticks with me is she seemed so calm, peaceful and purposeful in the midst of so much doubt (about where money would come from) and upheaval (her alcoholic husband). She also reminds me a little of my grandmother, who was also from the midwest. Mrs. Ryan was just a saintly woman, really, in a very worldly, practical way! And you're right, Marybeth, it sure puts perspective on the want/need issue. Loved the book!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2005 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

A note about Shirley Jackson and her Life Among the Savages -- I got a book from the library called The Magic of Shirley Jackson -- it was compiled by her dh and has Life Among the Savages and Raising Demons as well as some essays that she wrote, really shows the variety of her writing.

The interesting (and kind of sad) side note from the preface "she died peacefully of heart failure during a nap in her forty-sixth year" ....

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2005 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

momwise wrote:
Did anyone else besides Marybeth and Erica read Prizewinner from Defiance Ohio? It is one of my favorite books ever. What'd you think?

Gwen,

I just finished Prize Winner... yesterday. I loved it. Such and inspiring story.
I read it right after reading the Trapp Family Singers. Two stories about two strong women yet so different in their approach to life. One common thing between them is their joy of living and the enthusiams with which they faced life. It made me think of how sometimes I lack humor and optimism in circumstances that are much more less trying than theirs.

One thing that struck me about Prize W was the Round Robins (or was it Robin Rounds?) . Women have such a need for connecting with other women and they find the more creative ways to do it. We have such a need to share life, it seems. Look at us, from all over sharing what is important to us through the internet. Those women learned so much about each other and help each other without envy or jelousy.

Have to go now. Thanks for the recommendation!

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Sept 08 2005 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

momwise wrote:

I just finished Prizewinner the other day. I was able to get it from the library just in time to bring it on our trip to Disney World. Two long days of driving each way made for lots of reading time for me. I was struck by the joy that the mom showed throughout her life, in the face of many crises and much adversity. It's just incredible.

Do any of you remember the story of one of her sons writing an essay for a Catholic Knights contest? He came to her room in the middle of the night talking in his sleep about the essay. It was absolutely hysterical! I read that part (and lots of other parts too) to dh as he drove. We both laughed so hard that tears rolled down our faces!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2005 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote momwise

teachingmom wrote:
Do any of you remember the story of one of her sons writing an essay for a Catholic Knights contest?

Nope, I don't remember it. It is time for me to read this again. Someone mentioned how interesting was the contrast between this mother's life and another author. This is why I like Catholic memoirs. It is so wonderful to witness the many different paths to Heaven that people tread. Also interesting, in addition to the differences, are the similarities; the virtues that holy people practice. And I think the mother in Prizewinner was very holy. Her daughter, the author, really didn't make a big deal out of her mother's faith (while it was mentioned in different places, it wasn't the theme of the book) but it shone through because that's what she was all about. I am soglad so many of you have read it!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2005 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote momwise

mary wrote:
I don't know if this book is in print anymore, but Save a Seat for me Timmy by Elsye Mahern is a wonderful book.<snip>It was the last gift my sister gave me before she died

I've looked all over and haven't been able to find it Mary. I'm so sorry about your sister. It sounds like a tear jerker of a book

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version