Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Memoirs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 01 2005 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I love to read family memoirs during the summer. Not the dark, abusive kind; just interesting family stories. A few years ago I read Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Children on 25 Words or Less. This remains one of my all-time favorites! It's about the Catholic wife of an alcoholic and mother of 10 children who kept the family afloat and used her creativity to win writing contests. She wrote at her ironing board. No matter what was needed, it came in the form of a check or prize in the nick of time (need I say she prayed to St. Jude quite often?).

Last summer I read Jew Store. Here's the library blurb:
"The Jew Store is an intimate family story that sheds new light on a piece of American history. Here is One Man's Family with a twist: a Jew, born into poverty in pre-revolutionary Russia, finds his way to America, finds a trade, finds a wife, and sets out to find his fortune in a place where Jews are unwelcome."--BOOK JACKET. "In 1920s small town America, the ubiquitous dry goods store - selling work clothes and school clothes, sheets and towels, yard goods and notions - was usually owned by Jews and often referred to as "the Jew store," which is how Bronson's Low-Priced Store, Stella Suberman's father's retail establishment in Concordia, Tennessee, was known."--BOOK JACKET.

So far this summer I haven't found much. I just started Stuffed: The Adventures of a Restaurant Family. I'd sure like to find something Catholic though...hint, hint.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2005 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Gwen,
   I'm SURE you've read it already, but if not, I highly recommend "The Story of the Trapp Family Singers". Everyone I know who has read this book has enjoyed it. I gave a copy of it to my Protestant brother and his family and they ended up reading it out loud to each other driving all the way from Florida to Texas!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2005 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

No, I haven't read it yet. Good suggestion!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2005 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Hey Gwen,
   Another book I thought of that you might enjoy is by Taylor Caldwell (I think), entitled, "Grandmother and the Priests". It isn't a memoir, but a series of stories about the author's (real or imagined, and it might be real) Catholic Grandmother and stories that were told by her priest friends. I haven't read it for years, but I thoroughly enjoyed it when I did, and a couple of those stories have stuck with me for years. So, like I say, not a memoir per se, but...

Kelly in FL

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2005 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Kelly,

I have read Grandmother and the Priests. It's on my bookshelf and probably enough time has gone by for me to read it again. That is a wonderful book isn't it.

Taylor Caldwell was Catholic wasn't she? My book club reads Catholic women authors so that would be a good suggestion for us.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2005 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kelly wrote:
I'm SURE you've read it already, but if not, I highly recommend "The Story of the Trapp Family Singers".

Such a great one! My sisters, mother and I quote from this book frequently, especially when one of us is pregnant and getting a little chesty. "I'm wearing Number 2 now." That section cracked us up!!!

After you read that, follow up with her next book Family on Wheels.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 06 2005 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

How about Ten Circles Upon The Pond? Not a very orthodox Catholic mother of ten, but a very good read. Several of us read it a couple of years ago...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

anncap
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 06 2005 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote anncap

Oh! I have the perfect book for you!! Life Among the Savages by Shirley Jackson. This book was so funny and comforting to me a few years ago. I think it was written back in the 50's or so and I enjoyed reading about what it was like to raise a family back then. Amazon has it; I've been wanting to read it again. Ann in Tucson
I am so excited to recommend this book that this is my very first post on the forum! I think it might be exactly what you're looking for. :)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 07 2005 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What constitutes a memoir? I have one book I highly recommend which is a series of autobiographical essays about being a wife/mother/writer in the suburbs. It's out of print, but readily available for cheap. Sixpence in Her Shoe (1964) by Phyllis McGinley. Very humorous. I got all my sisters and my mother hooked on it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2005 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Elizabeth, Ann and Jenn.....thank you!

These all sound perfect and they were all at the library.    I have been reading a collection of essays by Phyllis McGinley and have enjoyed them. I've got my book list for the rest of the summer!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2005 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Gwen,
Another book you might enjoy is called, interestingly, "Will Mrs. Major Go To Hell" by Aloise Bucklely Heath. She was the older sister of William F. Buckley (who was in line in front of me at the airport the other day...I asked the customs agent if that was who I thought it was, and he said "who is Wm. F. Buckley?". But I digress...) Anyway, it's a pretty good read, at times poignant, at times funny, and an insight into a large, sprawly (tho not overly orthodox) Catholic family. The first part of brother William's book, "Nearer, My God", which describes their upbringing, is very interesting, too.

Kelly in FL

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2005 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I'll be picking up my library holds tomorrow. In the meantime I'm starting My Russian Yesterdays by Catherine Doherty for book club on the 19th. So far *so good*. I'll post an update when I finish.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2005 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I just read The Prize Winner from Defiance Ohio. It will be on my list of book recommendations.

Great read! I have The Jew Store on hold at the library. Thanks for helping me select all my summer reads!

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2005 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Marybeth wrote:
I just read The Prize Winner from Defiance Ohio. It will be on my list of book recommendations.

Me too!! I loved it! Aside from a few magazines, it is the first book I've read for pleasure in a long, long time. Sad, but true.

Thanks to all you ladies for these great recommendations! I'm starting Sixpence in Her Shoe now. I truly would be 'lost' when it comes to books (children or adult) without this board (and Cay's House of Literature as well!) Thank you!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2005 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Oh, I LOVED My Russian Yesterdays. Catherine Doherty was a marvel. I read Not Without Parables, too, and that was even better. I just finished reading her autobiography and it was very moving. I'm trying to decide what book of hers to read next...Can you tell I'm loving her books? Her spirituality is very beautiful (Eastern Rite Catholic/Byzantine) and this happens to be a new interest of mine. Her cause has been opened. I have been asking for her intercession for a reunification between the Orthodox Church and our Holy Catholic Church...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2005 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote momwise

jdostalik wrote:
Oh, I LOVED My Russian Yesterdays. Catherine Doherty was a marvel.

It is fascinating to read about the small village/agrarian Orthodox way of life before the Communist takeover. Her homesickness is heartbreaking isn't it?

Here are some more must reads for your summer memoir list:
My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage by Elizabeth Trevino

Voyage by Bus by Leonard Wibberley

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2005 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I began Jew Store this morning. I was 10 minutes late for babysitting my sister's kids. She was very at me!!

Yikes!!

I was in big trouble. I can't help it...this always happens when I read.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2005 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

"My Heart Lies South" is a wonderful read. I gave a copy of it to my old middle school and highschool Spanish teacher who is from Monterrey, Mexico (where the book took place) and SHE loved it, too.

Kelly in FL

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2005 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Are there two versions of "My Heart Lies South"? I seem to remember a different version at my Catholic bookstore that was adult reading and all I can find on the web is a young people's edition...
Any help would be appreciated...I've wanted to read this for a while...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2005 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Jennifer,
   For some reason there do seem to be two different versions available of "My Heart Lies South". However, the copy I have and have lent out to people, the so-called "Young People's Edition", is wonderful. If that's what's available, I'd nail it. You won't be disappointed.

Kelly in FL

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version