Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Cloth Diaper Guilt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 29 2007 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Betsy, I'm sorry if I sounded cranky. I actually really liked the article you posted. I just wanted to point out that WAP is not an "objective" source for this kind of thing -- in fact, it's nearly impossible to find an objective source on this kind of issue.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. Please forgive me.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

I used cloth diapers for about 7 months (from 14-21 months) with my 2nd. I used a combo of fuzzi buns and regular prefolds with proraps. It did create a lot more laundry, and that was fine--but my issue was I felt like he was cooking in them. With the PUL lined wraps I felt like there was no airflow to him at all and every time I took a diaper off his bottom was all sweaty. (this was early summer time.)

I started making him diapers and would let him around the house in them without covers--but he was soaking everything! (Then I brought home a new baby and decided that was enough cloth diapering for me.)

I've heard wool soakers are more breathable and actually cooler and can keep kids dry--but unless you know how to knit those can be pretty expensive.

Whole Foods sells green disposable diapers--but I think they're pretty expensive.

Melissa
Mom to Rebecca (5), Thomas (3.5), and Andrew (almost 2)
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

If you feel like you want to use cloth but still honor dh, do you live near a diaper service? We don't now, but I did this once when we did, and it was awesome! I would do it again in a heartbeat, and I think the cost is pretty much a wash with disposeables (we can't use the cheapest brands because they give our babies a rash).

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

There are also gDiapers - they are disposable, biodegradable, and flushable. The biggest bonus is that if they are just wet, you can put them into the compost bin! (And they are really cute!)

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Tracy, do you use the gdiapers? I just spent quite some time looking at their website. Very neat product! What I like about them is that I can switch back and forth between their disposable liner and my cloth by using their cover pant. There are times (for me) when disposables make sense but I'd like to use cloth the rest of the time.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

No, I have never used them - I am not sure they even existed when ds was in diapers. But I have several friends that love them, and a friend that sells them. I love that they are compostable, and in areas where water is scarce, these would probably be even more eco-friendly than cloth.

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

gDiapers look neat. I'll have to keep thinking about them. Anyone else use them--pros or cons?

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Of course, if you really want to be environmentally friendly, you could do elimination communication.   

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I have a friend who used E.C. and her daughter is now three. She loved it. I think it is a huge commitment on the part of the mother. This baby only wore a handful of diapers in her life.

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I've looked into the gdiapers.   The idea is great, but they're very pricey, at least if ordered online. I've seen them in stores in NY, but not here in CT. that might make them more attractive, to not have shipping costs.
We use store brand disposables, which are fairly cheap. I've been intrigued by cloth, and was seriously considering th em for my new baby. Hubby nixed the idea because it would mean a lot more laundry.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Noreen, do you have Wild Oats Markets in CT? I saw them there for two dollars less than the website (and of course, no shipping). Just a thought.

acystay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 31 2007 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote acystay

I use gdiapers and do like them :) I also do cloth for most of the day and little g's when out. The thing I like about them is that you don't get blow outs like you do w/ regular disposies and they are very trim.
Back to Top View acystay's Profile Search for other posts by acystay

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

bringing this topic back up - those gdiapers - are they good for nightime?

I'm using disposables during hte day, but find both my boys leak through them (unless i buy the really expensive nighttime dipes)- my 5 month old is close to sleeping through the night, but wakes up wet. will a prefold and gdiaper hold up to nighttime wear?

off to read mroe archives on diapering at night...

acystay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 09 2007 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote acystay

Well, Cici, I've done so many nighttime diapering changes that I think I've tried just about everything, LOL!

My DD now 5 never leaked through anything, but she slept much better at night with pre-folds and doublers and a wool cover. Wool is great for night b/c it can hold up to 3X times it weight in water. You do not feel the wet and it helps wick away some mositeur and breaths very nice.

My DS1 leaked from day 1 in everything! Fitteds, fuzzi bunz, sposie, etc. Around 2 mos old we started some EC (elimination communication) and he did stay drier and would do his first pee in the morning in the sink with us holding him. Around 9 mos old I had to stop b/c of terrible morning sickness and dh not getting to him fast enough. We actually had him diaper less midway throug hthe night b/c he would pee in the am in the sink. By 2 he was dry all night so a pull up worked fine at night b/c he didn't pee until just before getting up.

DS2, well he did fine but hated cloth at night. That is until recently. Now he leaks through many things too. I cannot do pull ups. cloth is fine but it has to be fuzzi bunz double stuffed. A gdiaper does work when i do 2 fill ins, but angain some nights with those he does like b/c it bunches up b/w his legs and is wet. Regular cloth he cannot stand unless I do a fleece toped doubler. The problem I have with fleece though (which I cannot do fuzzi bunz all the time) is that he gets a rash with fleece if it is done for too long.

So, Night time diapers with boys has been a much bigger issue for me than it was with my daughter. Boys for me seem to pee masive amounts and if you don't have the penis just positioned just right in the diaper well forget it.
Back to Top View acystay's Profile Search for other posts by acystay

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version