Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: The Mormons just came a knockin’ . . . Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 14 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Anne,

Y'know, you're right. My kids usually make jokes about the angel "Macaroni" so between that and the insane traffic density on the Beltway I just give Oz a glance and don't think about it much.

In Christ,
Deborah
Back to Top View mom3aut1not's Profile Search for other posts by mom3aut1not

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Cindy,

I have kids who struggle with depression (as well as ADHD and other issues). I feel for you and your son. I hope he gets the help he needs medically and religiously.

In Christ,
Deborah

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 14 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

That "Surrender Dorothy" is hysterical! Now, I know it's graffiti and against the law and all, but--does the laughter it brings negate its evil?

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

mom3aut1not wrote:
My kids usually make jokes about the angel "Macaroni" so

Angel macaroni? sorry, 29weeks and getting really slow in the brain ... is this anything like my neice singing "Lasagne in the Highest" at Mass???

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Anne,

The golden figure on the top of the temple's spire (or whatever it is) is the angel Moroni (truly an unfortunate name)-- thus, "Macaroni." And my older kids are all adults so they know perfectly well wha the name is, but they think ihe whole thing ridiculous.

Personally, I think Macaroni is better than Moroni. I can't help but think of moron when I see the name.

In Christ,
Deborah

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 15 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

We don't answer the door unless I'm expecting a repairman or delivery. When I have run into missionaries of other faiths, I nicely tell them that I firmly believe in the Catholic faith and I don't engage in lenthy discussions with them. (I am always short on time.) I do admire their strong faith, their family values, and their way of living what they believe (and I tell them that). In *every* church there are those who are less fervent and many who are misguided -- even among the leadership. Our own Catholic Church is not immune from this by any means. We are all human. I think that it is important to respect others' beliefs -- even door to door missionaries. I am sure that they are met with much resistance and even hosility, yet they continue to do what their church expects of them. I greatly admire that. They are children of God (as are phone telemarketers) and so I try to speak of them and to them in charity. Personally knowing people who are Mormon or Jehovah's Witness -- I do (and I have known telemarketers as well!) -- makes it easy to keep this perspective. :)

ChristinaK
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 17 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote ChristinaK

I'm Protestant rather than Catholic. Personally, if I'm not busy I will open the door to the Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses and visit with them briefly. I always tell them that I have a church home I am happy with. Often they ask where or if I'm familar with the Book of Mormon etc. I had some friends who were Mormon when I was in high school so I tell them that I am due to my friends or that some of our best friends plus our neighbor are Jehovah's Witness. They have always been very polite and accepting of my lack of interest in their materials. I respect that they are willing to live out their faith. I'm sure that it is not easy going door to door and that many people must be really rude to them.
Back to Top View ChristinaK's Profile Search for other posts by ChristinaK Visit ChristinaK's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 17 2007 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I will often chat with Jehovah's Witness and Mormans at my door. I tell them I admire their strength in what they do, I feel that I can witness to THEM that Catholics are respectful, nice people too. On the whole they aren't too pushy. Sometimes I haven't the times so I don't engage in a long talk. My dc are often floating around and I also feel I am witnessing to them the charitable way to treat others.

It really distresses me when they tell me stories about people setting their dogs on them etc.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version