Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Pride and Prejudice and more Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 15 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

We watched Lorna Doone last week as a family and all of us enjoyed it! Even the boys thought it wasn't to mushy!!

I think I am #12 on the waiting list at the library for Emma!

For Christmas my dc gave me A&E P&P, and I can't tell you how many times I have watched it !!

I think all of the A&E movies are so well done!

Love this topic!
God bless,

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote trish

I would love to get Lorna Doone. I remember watching it on A&E a few years ago. It was lovely.

Persuasion (the one that Jenn mentioned) is a really lovely movie. The more you watch it the more it grows on you.

What about Sense and Sensibility? That is another Jane Austen although they did have to cut quite a bit out from the book. I watched the movie first and then read the book. I should have done the opposite. It really is a good idea to do it that way.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Trisha, I can relate to your popping on the Pride and Prejiduce DVD to watch to lighten your heart, I'm like that too, they are my happy P&P moments..just to hear that music...

One movie I saw recently that I really enjoyed was Becoming Jane with Anne Hathaway and I can't remember the main actor accept to say he played Tumnus in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe....

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I am so jealous Annie! Just like Miss Potter, they are not releasing Becoming Jane until August here in the states and then only to a limited audience! Arrrrgghh! Why do they do that? What they must think of us!

Anyway, rant over...now.

Persuasion was a wonderful movie. And I could go back and forth all day about the positives and negatives of the 2 P&P's. I read the books after seeing the movie only because I had never been introduced to Jane Austen (thank you public school education). The movies didn't ruin it for me, but I do usually like to read first then watch.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I am so surprised Matilda! Usually it is the other way round, things are usually released in the US first and then we get it..

Well, I did wonder why it had not come up in conversation as yet because I have a passion for Jane Austen's movies and this definately belongs among them all. Still the feedback around me, is that some people just don't like Anne Hathaway, but I like her well enough and I thought she had done well, as all the cast.

I think that you will like it, but of course there is always a danger to go into a movie with high expectations, the only place to go after feelings like that is down...    So if I say that I absolutely loved it but others thought it 'ok' might help stem any strong expectations.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

It's so exciting to see how many people like the A&E pride and pred.!! I LOVE it so much! My second favorite Jane Austen movie is the new Emma -- because I also swoon over Jeremy Northram and third is the Persuasion that people have been mentioning.

Someone mentioned Wives and Daughters. I REALLY enjoyed this movie.   
Also, I have seen Victoria and Albert -- that Marilyn mentioned. It was great -- so sweet and felt so real.

I love the character development in these movies -- of course Jane Austen is a master at this. I love the romance, the sweetness and the purity of it always gets me. I have friends who swoon over more modern "chick flicks" (like You've Got Mail or The Notebook, etc.) but it's so hard for me to like most of them. I have to pick and choose -- blocking certain dialogue or scenes out of my mind in order to even like the characters. And so often everything is so trite. The relationships and interaction in the Jane Austen movies, or Wives and Daughters or Victoria and Albert are so real and human and . . . well, I'm not even sure I can find the right word for it. . . it's just the BEST.

Okay, last thing. I don't mean to change the subject too much, but has anyone seen Our Mutual Friend? (BBC, 1998 from the book by charles dickens)
I LOVE the romance in that and while Charles Dickens can have alot more darkness than Jane Austen of course, this one turns out happy in the end. I love it!
My dad and brothers enjoy Dickens too because there are more interesting things that just romance and socializing , like murders and disappearances and misers and stuff -- (Dickens themes can be hard for sensitive or young kids.)
I also really like Bleak House, another Dickens movie.(2005, the screenplay is by the same Andrew Davies that does the 5 hr P&P)
(If you want to know more about these movies and why I like them you can let me know -- but I don't want to hijack the thread or anything by going on and on )

I wish my husband liked Jane Austen like some of yours, or at least would tolerate her! He will NEVER watch a movie done by british actors -- he says their accent makes him crazy!! He won't go near Jane Austen with a ten foot pole ! Not even to give her a chance! I had a English professor that always said "Real men like Jane Austen." I tell my husband this, but he STILL thinks his manhood will be damaged if he even deigns to give her a try!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Mary Theresa, it is a good point about Dickens because he is another writer that warms your heart! And of course there have been some good movie adaptations. Our all time favourite is Nicholas Nickelby, we can watch that movie, over and over and over again.

I think it is thanks to these really beautiful movies, with wonderful stories, beautiful scenery and delightful soundtracks, I have a real soft spot in my heart for England..

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2007 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

Nicholas Nickelby! That was one that I was trying to remember!

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Oh, I am so excited to be having a girl!!!!!!!! I LOVE Jane Austen, I just started reading her books a few years ago, and went crazy watching all of the P&P versions. I love them all....I told my dh about what someone mentioned with the wedding party that learned the dancing and dressed in period clothing. I went to sleep smiling, thinking ahead to my own daughter's wedding...okay, okay, I know I am only 23 weeks along here, but after having 4 boys, this is all so new and exciting!!

I love the movie Persuasion, and actually my dh watched that one with me and enjoyed it.

The OTHER book I love is Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott. I love the movie too, from 1995. One of our read alouds to the boys a few years ago, was "Jo's Boys" and they really enjoyed it.

Thanks for bringing this all up, I have so enjoyed it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version