Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Did Rachel have her babies? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 13 2007 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

BOYS ARE HERE!!

Yes, I am home. The boys are still in the NICU, but doing well. Basically, they just need to gain some weight. They were born at 34wks1day, but had 8-8 and 8-9 apgars, and while they've done the weight loss thing normal to newborns, one of my boys is gaining again, and hopefully the other will be doing so today or tomorrow. Neither of them is dealing with high bili levels, so they aren't dealing with jaundice (please pray that that doesn't happen in the coming days).

All of their tests are coming back normal, and other than getting them to eat consistently and well, and start gaining some weight, we are doing well.

It was an emergency csection (even though both were vertex, one of them started laying on the other's cord, or something like that), so I got to be gutted like a fish and got to have a nifty recovery process. I'm only slightly sore now, really, and it's muscular, not from the staples (I had like 20 of them). I'm not having the lovely heavy discharge (thank you to whoever recommended taking alfalfa! I was taking 4-6 tablets a day for a week or so before the boys came, and boy, am I glad!) I had expected. My milk is coming in nicely, thank goodness. I'm pumping about every 3 hrs, round the clock, and so the boys are getting that, altho it's been rather sporadic til the last day or so.

The dds are doing well. DH was on block leave--he goes back to work on Tuesday, and my mom was here from last Sat thru this morning. She has two dr's apptmts tomorrow and has to be back to work on Tuesday. So tomorrow I will be sleeping. And sleeping. And sleeping. Hopefully. That was the best mother's day gift I got, to be frank.

If you all can please pray that we get the boys to eat well, consistently, and that they don't have to deal with jaundice issues...and that I get rid of my nasty cough I picked up into the hospital. I wear a mask when I go to see the boys, but I still worry. Not to mention my own discomfort.

Thank you, ladies, for your prayers and congratulations...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2007 at 3:43am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Congratulations, Rachel!!

John and David will be in my prayers, to continue to gain and get out of the hospital soon. I pray your cough goes away....for your boys sake & oh, I couldn't imagine coughing with that incision.
Please,please try to get rest when you can.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2007 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

OH Rachel. Ouch. Many graces flowing down on you and your family. Take it easy and care for yourself, too.

I pray, pray, pray for those little peanuts! I am so happy for their births and overjoyed for you, Mommy---for your husband, and for the other children, to be given this gift. Happy Mother's Day indeed.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2007 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Congratulations! Lots of prayers and good wishes from New Mexico.

Blessings,
Krisann

DGC Kira, Auston, Travis, & Sarah.
My Blog: Isla del Esperanza
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

praying also.

Congratulations!!

God Bless
C

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

UPDATE!!!!

The nurse DH spoke with tonight said that if the boys keep up the way they are, they may very well be home later this week. John, while he hadn't gained any weight since last night, hadn't lost any either, and was also getting ready to suck down some "liquid gold" I had sent with DH, and David was up a few ounces....they appear to not be "night feeders" (darn the luck, lol), and like to eat like little piggies during the day to make up for it.

But please, keep up the prayers, as my cough isn't getting better, and with them about ready to come home, well, I need to be as close to full speed as I can be.....

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Another update!

Got a call from their charge nurse. Apparently, I get to go spend the night rooming in with John tonight, hopefully so that he will come home TOMORROW!!!

EEEEKKKK!!!!!!!! (that's an excited/scared freakout scream there)...lol

David is still in need of prayers. He has apparently had a couple of apnea episodes during/while spitting up, so they are keeping him a few days longer, just to be sure that he is doing ok....

And I can still use alot of prayer--I've got that cough still, altho DH did just come home with my Rx cough medicine, so hopefully that will help somewhat...I can only take it every 12 hrs though...not to mention getting home with one of my two boys...sigh. Hopefully we'll get to nursing well. It should be interesting, since we've not managed to do that yet (I've been pumping like a maniac, though! So the supply is being "built"...

Thanks ladies, for the continued support....

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Well, John is not coming home today. He had an "episode" like the ones David has had, so it will be another few days to a week before he can come home.

Things went very well last night--this episode happened this morning, when I wasn't even in the hospital (they had had to push the circumcision to noon instead of first thing this morning, so I came home to rest before that/the mandatory 4 hrs post circ wait time...

So I am a trifle depressed about it. I was SOOO ready to bring him (one of them!) home. And of course, the dc are sad, too, but not the way I am. It's hard--I got to spend the night snuggling and loving on him, and really getting some good one-on-one time in private, and now I won't get to have him "all to myself".....something I was really looking forward to...

Please pray for no more episodes for either boy. They have a one-week wait til discharge policy after an "episode" like this, to be on the safe side (which I understand and agree with, even though I wish he could be home)....it's apparently related to preemie-reflux issues, so its not something terribly worrisome, just something that needs watching...

They are, however, both putting on weight, an oz or so a day, so we are slowly climbing towards 5lbs each. John was 4#7-8 today, and David was 4#14oz....

Thanks, ladies, in advance...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Caroline

Oh Rachel! I'm so sorry to hear that. Prayers continuing for you and the boys.

theresa-lynn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 16 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote theresa-lynn

Many prayers for you RAchel.,.. i was in this same situation with my twins in the nicu for 10 days in the fall... This too will pass, and you will be amazed by how quickly it all goes when you look back on it in 6 months.

Take lots of pictures of them *like you aren't!! :-) * and try to remember each detail of how especially tiny they are. I remember looking at the size 3 month baby clothes we were given as gifts and thinking they were 'moster baby' clothes/.. they just seemed so big! LOL. Now my babies ar almost 8 months old and starting to crawl. THey were 34 weekers too.

PM me if you want to talk! I was just in your shoes!!

Our Lady of Tuscany Academy
Back to Top View theresa-lynn's Profile Search for other posts by theresa-lynn Visit theresa-lynn's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

They must be soooo beautiful!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Well, now I am looking into the cost of the formula for them...holy schmoolies!!! I am hoping that a) I will begin producing more of "the good stuff", and B) that Tricare (military insurance) will cover the formula if I can get the dr's to prescribe it. It "appears" that it is covered, but I am not 100% on that, so I will have to check and see with the pharmacy on post....

Since they are supposed to be nursed/on this preemie formula for a good 9mos, you all can imagine how expensive that is going to be long term, even though I am making enough milk at this point for at least one of the boys....

Thanks, ladies, for all of your prayers. I can use them, esp tonight when I am missing them so much...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

theresa-lynn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 16 2007 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote theresa-lynn

Rachel,
Are you using the good hospital grade medela pumps? Some tips on getting your milk supply to increase: pump both sides at the same time (get two collection kits) because this can increase the hormones that produce milk. Also, if you are trying to increase your supply, pump for a few minutes after your milk has stopped comming out. You might get a second letdown, and you will signal your body to produce more.

You CAN bf twins, if you want to. I'm still nursing both of them, and though it was very tough to begin with, it is so much easier now than having to bottle feed them (and cheaper).

There is a yahoogroup called APmultiples that has lots of good advice for pumping, and starting to get them to nurse.

Prayers are with you!!

Our Lady of Tuscany Academy
Back to Top View theresa-lynn's Profile Search for other posts by theresa-lynn Visit theresa-lynn's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2007 at 5:11am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

juststartn wrote:
Well, now I am looking into the cost of the formula for them...holy schmoolies!!! I am hoping that a) I will begin producing more of "the good stuff", and B) that Tricare (military insurance) will cover the formula if I can get the dr's to prescribe it. It "appears" that it is covered, but I am not 100% on that, so I will have to check and see with the pharmacy on post....

Since they are supposed to be nursed/on this preemie formula for a good 9mos, you all can imagine how expensive that is going to be long term, even though I am making enough milk at this point for at least one of the boys....

Thanks, ladies, for all of your prayers. I can use them, esp tonight when I am missing them so much...

Rachel

Rachel- I am praying for you. There is a lovely painting of "Madonna with Twins" that I have been wanting to email you - but my pregnant brain cannot find the link. I will keep looking... My (now 7 year old) preemie twin boys have been praying for your boys - they always say special prayers for other preemies.

I second the advice of the hospital grade pump - makes all the difference. My good friend nursed her 33 week twins until 18 months - it can be done. I would think the main problem at first is how long they take to nurse (my little guys would take 40 minutes for 2 oz!! - and we could not tandem feed in the first months) and so you have to basically nurse/feed round the clock. But mine were 4lbs when they came home. As soon as they are 6-7 lbs things dramatically improve. We only did the Preemie formula for about a month out of NICU.

Try to sleep now before they come home!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 17 2007 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Praying for you and the boys, Rachel.

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

theresa-lynn wrote:
Rachel,
Are you using the good hospital grade medela pumps? Some tips on getting your milk supply to increase: pump both sides at the same time (get two collection kits) because this can increase the hormones that produce milk. Also, if you are trying to increase your supply, pump for a few minutes after your milk has stopped comming out. You might get a second letdown, and you will signal your body to produce more.

You CAN bf twins, if you want to. I'm still nursing both of them, and though it was very tough to begin with, it is so much easier now than having to bottle feed them (and cheaper).

There is a yahoogroup called APmultiples that has lots of good advice for pumping, and starting to get them to nurse.

Prayers are with you!!

I've been double pumping since I left the hospital (with a grade pump). And I'm pumping a good total of 30 min with both of them hooked up--I kwym about the second letdown....

I've pumped before, off and on, with my others, but not for preemies.

I've tried to nurse them, but honestly, their latch is pretty good, but they just can't seem to, well, keep it in there. LOL. Like "wow, mom, you're four times bigger than my little mouth, how on earth am I supposed to deal with THAT!?!?" LOL. So when we were rooming in, I'd get him to latch and he'd nurse for a wee bit, but we ended up supplementing just because it was alot less taxing for him...

They are both gaining weight back....David will likely be five pounds plus when he comes home, and John will be close, assuming that they continue to gain the way that they have been the last several days...

Just please, keep praying (and thank those boys for their prayers for me!!)...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

We are praying, Rachel. If you *do* need to supplement with formula, is there any way you can get WIC? That saved us a bundle in England. Milk, eggs, cheese, beans, and cereal are all WIC items. I kept asking them to add diapers and wipes, but for some reason they just smiled and said, "I wish we could."

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2007 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Well, we may qualify for WIC, but it's one of those "measures of last resort" for DH and I (just a personal thing). But, we also may be able to get the formula via prescription from the on-post pharmacy, which would make it free...and would simply be a part of our medical coverage. I am going to be trying to go that route first....

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Oh, and at least at first, we will have to supplement...I'm getting enough out of me for one, but not two...

In other news, I was up there last night for two hours, and the boys are still gaining weight---David was a good 4#15.8o, and John was 4#8o. So, we're getting there, slowly but surely. An ounce or so at a time.

I'm going back up tonight for the same amount of time. I hope to speak with the on-call dr about the Rx for the formula then...not to mention try and nurse David (he's the more aggressive feeder).

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version