Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Lively Latin and other programs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 23 2012 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I am not considering their Latin because of this:

Quote:
To demonstrate the gentle pace of these readers, the first four books actually only cover Lessons 1-3 in Henle's First Year Latin, which is about half of the first quarter's work!

That is way too "gentle" for my tastes and not enough meat for that price considering I'm wanting it for grades 2nd through 8th. If a program is too fast or too much, I can always slow down. If a program is boringly slooooowww? It ends up not being used and I have to spend more money supplementing or just buying another program.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 29 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up...

Almost a year later, what is every thinking? Have you been happy with your Latin choices? Would you change anything? Change programs?

I never went to a school that offered Latin, so I never learned it formally.
That was a pain later on with my science and medical studies. Latin would have been a great help.

So, next year I am aiming for a more science friendly curriculum, and that means I am looking at Latin again. My main goal here is to give my dc an understanding of basic Latin and Latin roots.

We have looked at the Visual Latin demo clips, and my dc seemed to like those. They were easy to follow and made a lot of sense, especially since we have dabbled in Spanish for awhile.

We will most likely continue Spanish also. I really like the DuoLingo site SallyT linked awhile ago.

I am thinking maybe two days a week of each language. I don't know if that will be too much or too confusing...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

SeaStar wrote:
Bumping this up...
Almost a year later, what is every thinking? Have you been happy with your Latin choices?

I'm happy with Latin for Children and a once a week 50 minute tutor that I'm very lucky to have found in my price range.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2013 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

This is an email I sent to a friend a few months ago. I don't have any links right now, but this is what I like to do (I might change this again, but so far it's been working). I have to add that I have studied Latin for seven years myself, but most of my suggestions should work for mothers with little or no background.

Grade 3: I Am Reading Latin Series, if enough interest, you could add New Readers.
Grade 4: Latin's Not So Tough (This is level 2, I don't think you need level 1).
Grade 5: Latin's Not So Tough Level 3
Grade 6: Minimus: Starting Out in Latin (Amazon has a few sample pages), if you want to, you could also add Latin's Not So Tough, Level 4
Grade 7: Getting Started with Latin and/or Latin's Not So Tough Level 5 and Minimus Secundus, English From the Roots Up, Vol. 1
Grade 8: Latin's Not So Tough Level 6 or Getting Started with Latin, English from the Roots Up, Vol. 2, start Lingua Latina: Familia Romana
Grade 9: Henle Latin I (you will also need the grammar and answer key), with Essential Latin Syllabus (I+II) or Latin syllabus I from Kolbe and workbook (answer key also) from OLVS, continue Lingua Latina: Familia Romana
Grade 10: Henle Latin II (you again need the grammar and a new answer key), workbook (there is no answer key), Latin III syllabus from Laura Berquist or Latin syllabus II from Kolbe, start Lingua Latina: Roma Aeterna
Grade 11: Henle Latin III (plus grammar and new answer key), Kolbe syllabus, continue Lingua Latina: Roma Aeterna
Grade 12: Henle Latin IV (plus grammar and answer key), Kolbe syllabus
For high school you could also do the Seton Latin courses I-III or OLVS Latin, which also uses Henle, but only offer three years of it. Kolbe is the only one that offers four years of Henle. You can enroll at each school just for Latin. Another option for high school is Wheelock Latin. Kolbe also offers that as does St. Thomas Aquinas Academy. Laura Berquist has a few other options for high school Latin including Wheelock and Cambridge Latin. If you are more interested in classical Latin then those are the best options. If you also want some church Latin, Henle is very good. There is also New Missal Latin meant for a two year course in high school. Kolbe offers that, but doesn't give high school credit for it. This could be a supplemental text for grades 7 and up.
I don't worry much about classical or church pronunciation. The sources for the early years I have listed use mostly classical pronunciation, but you could easily do them in church pronunciation or do classical first and later switch to church pronunciation. A good help for pronunciation is Pronuntiatus Latinus. There is also a CD that comes with it, but I couldn't find the link at the OLVS site. The CD is actually very good.
For church hymns in Latin try Minimum Repertoire of Plain Chant or the Memoria Press Lingua Angelica. I haven't seen the CHC materials for Latin, but the readers look interesting. I guess I would use them as a supplement.

sunshinyliving
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 29 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote sunshinyliving

For what it's worth, we use Wheelocks (got older edition books from ebay; doesn't really matter which edition you use) along with all the free resources on the internet (including audio pronunciation of every vocab work in Wheelocks, answers to all the sentence translation, lesson plans etc).

For quick links to the online resources we use along with Wheelocks, you can see them here: http://beatavitalatin.blogspot.com/

Quizlet also has several vocab lists for Wheelocks.

I do this along with my high-schoolers. I don't think this is something that most kids could do on their own. However, the online resources are great for individual practice and reviews.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2013 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We've been using Getting Started with Latin this year for ds in third grade and plan to start Visual Latin with him in the Fall for 4th.

I'm very pleased. The program is easy to implement and offered in bite sized chunks, which has seemed ideal for where ds is. He's also taking German locally, and I did not want to overwhelm him with a bigger program this year, but I must say that the approach has been great at reinforcing vocabulary such that, even though I haven't been diligent in reviewing vocab with him, he has retained much of what has been covered.

I anticipate Visual Latin being a good fit for us, and I plan to use it as is for 4th and 5th, and then, depending on whetherr they add another level in the mean time, switch over in 6th to either Henle or Lingua Latina, using the free lesson plans from VL which coordinate with the two programs. Then, long term for late middle or high school, I plan to find an outside tutor.

I'm glad to hear about CHC's readers. I will take a look. Visual Latin is three lessons a week, so I was planning to use tye Minimus reader as a "fun" supplement, but its good to have options.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2013 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I just want to mention a resource that we have found useful this year. My 8th boys have done Lingua Latina for some of the year. It has been good for them, because after years of Latin they were not good at translating. The resource that has helped has been an online course from Pullins (who are the publishers of Lingua Latina) - it only costs $25 for a year and has a lot of resources. Our favorite resources are the instantly graded exercises (except for uploaded assignments that we grade using the teacher book), the ecclesiastical pronunciation as each chapter is read out aloud by the Wyoming Catholic College classics dept, and also the dictionary online. Pullins are trying to market this to homeschool parents and are helpful. There are a few bugs in the program, but it is totally worth the cost to me.
I also have other free online resources for Lingua Latina which have been great (videos, vocab etc) - I just have to find them as they are on the twins' computer. If you would like me to email them, please pm me.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2013 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am thinking of one of the following for my 9 year old (who has already done PL and LC1) - either Visual Latin which I think would be a good fit for him, or maybe Latin for Children. I really need him to be independent as I am juggling many.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2013 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Sorry for the serial posting - just one more free online resource to mention that has a lot of Latin prayers and hymns - Sonitus Sanctus

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This whole thread is a wonder of great info. Thanks, everyone!

I am wondering now if I could start my dc in Visual Latin or if it would be better to use a "starter" program for a year and then switch to VL.

The VL is very appealing to me because dvds and seeing the teacher on screen is a good way for my ds to learn.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Visual Latin is currently 25% off until August 12, 2013

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version