Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Lively Latin and other programs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 05 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Lingua Latina would be a steeeeep curve for a 5th grader- even if they had heaps of latin. It starts of fairly slowly but builds extremely quickly. College classes use it. My dd14 who had finished the first half of Henle, all of Latina Christiana and some other stuff found Lingua Latina to be a good challenge. But that is just our little experience...

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

No btdt experience yet but I'm excited to be starting Latin for Children and Spanish for children in the fall. The focus will be for my kids ages 9 - 14.

It looks very straight forward and clearly presented.

I'm crossing my fingers it goes well!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2012 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Martha, will you be doing Spanish and Latin at the same time with your kids? I mean the same child will be learning both languages simultaniously? I'm curious to know how that will work. I would like to give it a try, but I think we struggle too much with Latin by itself to add in Spanish too.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Kristie 4 wrote:
Lingua Latina would be a steeeeep curve for a 5th grader- even if they had heaps of latin. It starts of fairly slowly but builds extremely quickly. College classes use it. My dd14 who had finished the first half of Henle, all of Latina Christiana and some other stuff found Lingua Latina to be a good challenge. But that is just our little experience...

The local Latin expert in our homeschool group, has a Masters Degree in Ancient Languages, (and is moving away) starts out using Henle in 3rd grade, just at a slower pace.

I guess you *can* use Visual Latin independent of another program, which I might do, and save Lingua Latina if it is too much. I guess I figured if you were pacing it the same as Visual Latin itself is paced, it would be used over several years for a younger student.

Another option is that the man who wrote Getting Started With Latin has free audio lessons to go with an older, public domain text as a course to follow his book.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2012 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Becky Parker wrote:
Martha, will you be doing Spanish and Latin at the same time with your kids? I mean the same child will be learning both languages simultaniously? I'm curious to know how that will work. I would like to give it a try, but I think we struggle too much with Latin by itself to add in Spanish too.

Becky, I'm not Martha, but I am doing 2 languages with my dd8 and dd13. We are starting French and Latin. I'm finding Latin is very helpful, there are many common pronunciations between the 2. i, a, o are the same. Rolling r's. How an ending syllable is often accented. We have literally JUST started Latin, but it's like a light bulb with dd8. Her spoken French is already better. She is reading better, with better pronunciation. I am for the most part doing French 'free hand'. The Latin is now giving me a little structure on how to approach teaching French. I am using Prima Latina for dd8 and dd13(she is whizzing through it), she will be using Lively Latin as soon as she is done, and I'm not sure what dd8 will use next. I'm thinking CHC curricula, as I loved everything else for dd8 from there. I had Prima Latina from 2 years ago that we never got to. Latin is our summer project, they are starting formal French lessons in the fall.

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 06 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

Lively Latin looks wonderful with picture study even! I think I would need to drop a lot of what I have already planned in order for it to not be overwhelming. Really thinking about it though because we are doing Greek and Roman history next year.

Becky Parker wrote:
Martha, will you be doing Spanish and Latin at the same time with your kids? I mean the same child will be learning both languages simultaneously? I'm curious to know how that will work. I would like to give it a try, but I think we struggle too much with Latin by itself to add in Spanish too.

We have been working on basic Spanish since around Kindergarten and will be adding in Latin. I am really curious as to how the learning will mesh myself. We certainly are anything but fluent in Spanish. I figure that since they all have the same base that we will be fine, but perhaps throw in a different word here and there.   

I took Korean for a few years and would occasionally throw in a word in Spanish. There was a student in my class that spoke English, French, Italian, Spanish, and was also learning Korean. Ooooh! She would be spouting out some amusing sentences sometimes!

Anyway, I guess I am going to give it a whirl and drop Latin if it becomes much to confusing for us to enjoy.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Both my older boys take German classes at the local German heritage society. They'll continue doing that and we'll reinforce that all together, including the preschooler who picks up a lot from his brothers. But then with Latin, I think I'll just be doing that with my oldest. I don't think it will be confusing for them, but it might be overwhelming for me (knowing neither) if I didn't have the German instruction outsourced.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Becky Parker wrote:

We will likely do Spanish in the morning and Latin in the afternoon.

Lively Latin does sound grand, but way too much for us. I already have all our other subjects, including art history, purchased so I'd have had to decide to either set those plans aside for Lively Latin, skip all that in LL, or have a rather heavy double load. None of which appeals to me today.

Now, if Latin for Children really inspires us or something, I can see planning ahead for a year or so of LL.

And I'll admit, the only reason I am using Latin/Spanish for children is bc I have a reputable tutor for two of my middlers who will be using LfC.

Reputable affordable tutor trumps all else in this house for foreign language and math.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Martha wrote:
Reputable affordable tutor trumps all else in this house for foreign language and math.

I would love a reputable affordable tutor for Latin!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

mommy4ever and Shannon,
I wish I had started Spanish or French with my kids when they were younger. I think having a good base in another language and then adding Latin would have worked. My ds is going to HIllsdale College in the fall. I checked out their "Hillsdale Academy" (a grade school/high school that is associated with the college) because I was curious about what they expected their students to have studied before entering college. I found it interesting that they study french from K-8th (or maybe 6th) and THEN they do Latin. I wonder if that would have worked better for us. Latin is really a struggle.

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

DD13 has been speaking French since she was 3. DD8 started at 5. My biggest issue with dd8 is when she reading she switches to English phonics. Now with Latin instruction, it's clicking beautifully.

I can see reasons to start Latin late, but I also see reasons to start Latin early. I wish we'd started a couple years ago already, but I was overwhelmed with homeschooling period. We only started 2 years ago. My personal feeling is languages introduced early, take better. In a year or so I plan to add Spanish as well.

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My head is spinning with all the possibilities. I personally didn't find Latin hard, even though it was my first foreign language and I started in high school. But I had a solid base of grammar.

That's interesting about Hillsdale. French would be difficult for me to take on, but the other romance languages like Spanish or Italian would be easier because they are so close to Latin. Young children do well in immersion because they have the tongue, and then the grammar part is tackled later. Since Latin isn't usually "immersion" it can be overwhelming if it's the first time to look at declensions and conjugations and gender and plurals and reverse order of words in sentences, etc.

I went through this thread and linked to the various programs mentioned. I thought I'd make a list here as a summary. Please keep on adding more if you have more to think.

I really love the idea of Song School Latin or Latin for Children, but because the audio is not ecclesiastical, I don't want to confuse the children. It also bothers me to listen to it. I really struggled with having the classical pronunciation when I was in high school, and I don't want to repeat that for the younger years for my boys. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise...

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Various Programs Discussed:

Older Latin Comparison Chart

::Lively Latin

::Visual Latin
PDF Downloads for lessons with Lingua Latina and Henle with Living Latin

::Latina Christiana

::Prima Latina

::Our Roman Roots (Is there a main website for this program? I can't find any.)

::Getting Started with Latin

::Latin for Children

::Song School Latin

::Henle

::Lingua Latina (Is there a website for this?)

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Latin for Children explains the difference in pronunciation so that you can do both if you would like.

I suspect knowing/learning the difference is harder for older people than for kids.

I'm told the difference is not tremendous.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Martha wrote:
Latin for Children explains the difference in pronunciation so that you can do both if you would like.

I suspect knowing/learning the difference is harder for older people than for kids.

Not tremendous, but annoying.

Veni, Vidi, Vici sounds completely wimpy when said with a "w" for the letter "v".

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Martha

CrunchyMom wrote:
Both my older boys take German classes at the local German heritage society. They'll continue doing that and we'll reinforce that all together, including the preschooler who picks up a lot from his brothers. But then with Latin, I think I'll just be doing that with my oldest. I don't think it will be confusing for them, but it might be overwhelming for me (knowing neither) if I didn't have the German instruction outsourced.

My oldest is taking Spanish at CC.
My second born is taking Russian at a different CC.
My third wants to take German, of which I cannot find any classes at all. The local German assoc only has fun classes up to 5th grade and adult travel conversation classes for 18 and up. :(

Third born isn't happy about it. But he will just have to suck it up and enjoy our Latin and Spanish for children with us.

Dd11 wants to take French, but I'm now broke in money and time! I found some interesting free sites online. But I just don't have time or energy or the knowledge base to pull all those bits together to make my own French program. Maybe next year, I'll be able to afford to add French to the mix.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Martha

JennGM wrote:
Martha wrote:

Not tremendous, but annoying.

Veni, Vidi, Vici sounds completely wimpy when said with a "w" for the letter "v".

Oh come on now! It's all about perspective and retention! You and I both know every little kid is going to remember for the rest of their lives chanting that!   

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:

It is amusing to think that is how it sounded when Caesar said it

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
JennGM wrote:

It is amusing to think that is how it sounded when Caesar said it

I'm not convinced he did say it that way.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
Since Latin isn't usually "immersion" it can be overwhelming if it's the first time to look at declensions and conjugations and gender and plurals and reverse order of words in sentences, etc.

I think this is why the philosophy of Visual Latin appeals to me to start with. It is sort of like immersion for Latin.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version