Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Chick to hen - come grow them with us! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 30 2005 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Kim F wrote:

Gotta admit I tend to *visit* them in the evenings though. Chickens get really dopey after sunset. You can pick them up and whatnot and they hardly notice. Its pretty funny really. Macbeth is this the same with other birds?

Kim

I have not noticed it with parrots, but some passerines get quite dopey. Others (like mockingbirds and their kin) are quite lively, even in the evening.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2005 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Hi Kim! Sorry I haven't emailed the chicken wagon photo yet...I've been busy pulling together our chicken info. poster for our farm market display, which will be just above the brooder we've made for our 52 new baby chicks (Rhode Island Reds)that arrived on Friday!!

I'll try to send a photo of the kids with the chicks and our homemade brooder and the chicken wagon just as soon as I get around to it (trying to get ready for other big projects that are due now too).

Can't wait to get started on our chicken unit this week!

Also, dh has been going out to "tuck the chickens in" each night at about 9pm. (This would be our layers I mentioned earlier in my post). We've been finding that around dusk the chickens who haven't made it back into the chicken wagon for the night begin settling in for the night wherever they are and they are much more docile at this time. Dh doesn't have any trouble just picking them up and helping them into the wagon, as opposed to just an hour earlier (around 8pm) when they run from him. I can imagine them breathing (as they run away)...

"I don't want to go to bed yet!!"

Anyway, at the 9pm time we've found that they just squat down and let him "tuck them in."

Another funny...last night as dh was putting the last of the chickens into the wagon, his dad shouted from their kitchen window...

"Don't forget to get the one on top of my van!"

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2005 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

In my efforts to pull the chick display together I came across a really neat website (not sure if it was already posted) with TONS of great images of chicks developing inside of the egg (even explains in children's terms how MRI works). Info on everything from egg nutrition to animal reproduction and genetics for the older kids. I especially like the day-by-day listing of what is happening as the chicks develop (kinda makes me wonder how anyone could eat a fertilized egg...we've had at least one customer refuse to buy our market eggs because they aren't fertilized and, in her words, not as nutritious). I wonder why I have problems eating a baby chick still developing inside the egg but not a just-harvested 6 week old one. Hmmmm...

http://chickscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/explore/embryology/

Don't check the site out unless you have plenty of time...so many interesting things to see and learn!!

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2005 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

The chicks and the hens had are now roomies. We opened the door and they have the run of the coop last weekend. After a few pecks to show them who was boss the hens are leaving them alone. Whew!

I will say that the poor hens seemed to have no idea how they got there. Never mind they were living right next to them all those weeks. I feel a little bad their adults only little penthouse is overrun but such is life. They ARE chickens <g>

These buggers are a lot more rowdy than the hens at that age though. Must be the breeds or the number of them. The coop door latch came off months ago and we never had to replace it. The hens wouldnt dream of going near it when it was closed. The chicks have no such inhibitions. We had a few spring free tonight. Picture full fledged chicken run as the kids tried to lasso them and toss them back in. Can't wait til we let them outside. Agh! Will keep you posted. tomorrows the big day.

I am hoping they come back and dont need extensive tucking in Kristine! Kim
Back to Top View Kim F's Profile Search for other posts by Kim F

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2005 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

Hey all,

My digi-cam is down so I havent been able to post the pics. By way of update though the chicks have been sprung from the coop. <g> They were let outside a week ago and seem to be doing well. they tend to stay in the barn more than out but they are enjoying themselves and healthy.

I was a bit worried because we moved the kitten out to the barn. He is doing wonders on mouse patrol but he seemed ready to be on chicken patrol too. Looks like they have come to an understanding of sorts though and are living peacefully together now.

Oh, and we wondered when the peep went to Bock. Sounds like about half of half right now. About 2 wks about we heard the first grown up baaaawwwk. Cant tell who it was. Now its a mixed bag.

Will upload pics when I have a good pic and then will do some more when we start getting those rainbow eggs! Kim

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2005 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

One more development.

Something to do with Cock-a-doodle-do <g>

Not only are all the chicks baaaawk-ing but we had a bonafide cockadoodle the other day. Blue Cheese has some fancy tail feathers now too that we are watching. We are starting to think she is a he! Its the only one with a full red comb and wattle and these flashy feathers cresting over the tail. Looks much more like the roo than the hen on the hatchery site. Kim

orchdork
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote orchdork

Thank you so much for all the links and wonderful information.
I have been searching the forum for information on raising organic chickens.
I have a child who will be studying chickens this year. I would like him to learn the difference in raising organic and non organic.
After the “book” part of the study he will get to order some chicks or eggs in the early spring.
Books on building a coop would also be appreciated.
I’m looking for suggestions for about a 5-6th grade reading level.

Thank you!
Jacque
Back to Top View orchdork's Profile Search for other posts by orchdork

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

This is wonderful! We are learning about chickens this week. We're considering couple of backyard hens, too.

Thank you for sharing this wealth of information.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version