Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Number of Bedrooms...help please? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 05 2005 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I will confirm that our trundle (Cargo) is really hard to move in and out from under the bed. I think Molly's option is better, particularly for a little one.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 05 2005 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

Although our trundle is easy enough for even the 2 year old to pull in and out (it has good wheels), I think if we could start over and do it again I'd go with short bunk (or triple bunk) having the bottom bed on the floor. It's just my personal oddity (one of many ), I don't like storing things under beds (we do because we dont have any storage here but.... I wish we didn't have to)

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG
Back to Top View TradCathMom's Profile Search for other posts by TradCathMom Visit TradCathMom's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 05 2005 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
Bridget wrote:
My boys 'clean' that way too. The girls don't. Instead they spread everything out to organize it. Then tire of the project and leave it.

Darn. I was hoping that by the time the boys got to be Michael's age they wouldn't need so much chore supervision. Maybe they need it till their wives take over?

All I kept thinking about was how this "child" would be old enough to own a house in a few years...maybe if he paid for it, he care not to attract mice to it

This thread has been swirling in my mind lately. Just some thoughts...nothing really cohesive. Dh and I have been talking about how he grew up, what were the cleaning and other family responsibilities he had to do.. His mother was very ordered and kept a clean house (German). Dh can't remember ever being "Told" to go clean his room. Saturday was the big cleaning day, and he always straightened his room. He thinks it was just around him so much that he learned through osmosis. Maybe...his mom might have fussed at him but he doesn't remember now.

Fast Forward to college days...shock and disgust set in on how other people didn't clean up after themselves. Then after graduation, living on his own...his first purchases: bed, TV and vacuum, not necessarily in that order. Vacuum was VERY high priority. I kid you not!! Every Saturday morning he cleaned his place from top to bottom.

Maybe right now Michael hasn't cleaned "properly" but I bet when he's on his own the routine and cleanliness upheld by his mother will kick in. Especially when he witnesses total chaos around him in dorms. He'll crave the order that he found at his home. Don't despair yet, Elizabeth!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2005 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

1Bookworm wrote:
We just moved our third girl in with her sisters. Right now there's a bunk bed for the 8 and 5 yr olds, and a toddler bed for the 2 1/2 yr old, but thats not going to work indefinately. I'd like to save some floor space as we do allow a few toys in there (most are in the basement) to play with during quiet time.

Any other ideas???

How about one big king or queen-sized bed over in a corner of the room, for all of the girls to sleep in together (Little House on the Prarie style)? As the oldest of 4 girls who shared 1 bedroom for years(1 brother in a room all by his lonesome), my sisters and I used to push our twin beds together to make one big bed for all of us to sleep in. As the littler sisters would have nightmares they'd end up in my twin or the next oldest's bed anyway (mom had 2 twins, 1 bunk bed, 2 small dressers and a small closet in the small room). We figured if we were going to share anyway, why not make it more fun? I'm just thinking out loud here...I guess the individual beds would have to be stored and pulled out later when individual space became a priority...or do kids nowadays have to have individual space at a younger age? Also, I know that sharing sleep space depends on the kids' sleep styles too...I had one sister who thrashed so badly every night that no one wanted the spot next to her!

And one more thing...If you have 2 closets side by side in the kids' room and you're willing to take the doors off of the closets and put 2 clothes rack bars (one shorter one about 3 feet under the other one that was raised), you can still hang all the clothes and have room for another bed or more storage on the now empty side of the closet. Our "nursery" grew immensely (or so we thought) when we re-organized and took the closet doors down!

Unfortunately we live in a 35 yr.old house on the farm that was built by dh's grandparents...a spilt-foyer with 2 bedrooms upstairs and 2 in the basement (BIG YUCK!!) but since there's no mortgage (it's paid off and all buildings are property of the farm) I spend most of my time trying to be thankful. Right now I have all 3 boys in the other bedroom upstairs-1 bunk bed and 1 crib and the baby in our room. My mother is mortified at the thought of me putting the baby girl in with her brothers when the time comes, but I am not ready to banish my boys to the basement! IMO, they're just too little to be down there by themselves. So I too am trying to figure out how to fit more children into a smaller space.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2005 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Elizabeth,
   My boys, ages 15, 10 and 8, are in a large "bunk room" that has two sets of bunk beds, each with trundles. This is our sleepover room, our guest overflow room, and the boys' LEGO room. We have a large banquet table along the wall for the LEGOS, and a "personal" set of two bookshelves (cheapo wooden ones, purchased from Home Depot) at the head or on the side wall convenient to each bunk---this is for their personal treasures. All clothes go in one closet, using wire drawers and all the tricks we could come up with to maximize room therein. We also have a number of milk crates under a window, full of books, as well as two stacking Barnes & Nobles bookshelves. This room gets trashed, no mistake, but it gets a lot of livin' and lovin'!

The poor girls (3,6, 12) are squashed into a smaller---but prettier---room with less square footage but MORE closet space We currently have a crib/youth bed for the 3 yo (she's ready to move out, but we just haven't gotten organized to make the switch yet!) and a trundle bed for the older girls. The little girls share a closet (also outfitted with wire shelves, double racks, and lots of bins for clothes). My older daughter has her own closet. There is also a bureau that the two OLDER girls share, each gets half for their clothes. We do keep some toys in here, too, namely the doll house, babydolls and their accoutrements. They also have a double set of book shelves, and a milk crate or two of books.

Although I definitely need to streamline both of these rooms more, the set-up works. My 15 year old is agitating to move into the extra room, but we did that for a short stint a year or so ago, and it wasn't great. We may make the move sometime in the future, but for now, bunking with his bros keeps him humble

Oh, as for studying, most school work for the little ones takes place in our school room. The older ones have pegged the dining room table for their work. Typically, the only studying that is done in the bedrooms is Reading...and studying the back of their eyelids.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

1Bookworm
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 06 2005 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote 1Bookworm

Well, I googled Triple Bunks, as someone suggested, and found all sorts of stuff! I think we need to do some more shopping around...maybe look at some trundles and see how hard they are to maneuver. In some ways, the trundle would be easier, since our bunk is only a few years new. :-)

Thank you!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version