Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Hug an Australian Day! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 27 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Alzbeta sounds beautiful, thanks for the the pointers for the pronuncation or I probably would have sounded it out incorrectly. I really like European names, my husband and I have Annuncia chosen for a girl's name, if we were to be blessed with another daughter.

Eunice sounds lovely too if you can wipe out all connotations connected with it...which I imagine is hard to do.

I think God ratifies the honoring of our loved ones, by naming our children after them. Both our girls LOOK like the women they were named after, you say so too with your daughter and I have heard similar stories - only God could arrange that part of it!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Matilda wrote:
Mary G.-

I talked about that decision here (you have to scroll down a little bit). I didn't intend to tease or deceive. I love the name Matilda because of my grandmother and waltzing is just one of the many dances I love to do. It was also one of the first dances I learned as a little girl at our gi-normous Czech family reunions (and the Texas Two Step, of course)!

I was teasing you, WM!    I just love the name but ALWAYS link it to Australia -- I figured you were an Aussie in your former life or something....thanks for the blog post link -- I love visiting your blog!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

You are so cute Mary G.! I knew you were teasing because your lovely, jovial personality was shining through. You are always a ray of sunshine with your smiling face and sunny disposition.

I guess I am a want-to-be Aussie. (I have used Aussie hairspray ever since high school. )

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

aussieannie wrote:
what part of Australia are they from Cay?

I don't know.
To us Americans you all are just all together on one big island.       Just kiddin'.    I know what you mean. Educate me alittle. We have counties, parishes, and states. What are the division on your "big island"?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Cay Gibson wrote:

I don't know.
To us Americans you all are just all together on one big island.       Just kiddin'.   

You crack me up, Cay! It is true, I confess!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Well, I'd love to live in the States, so I suppose this big Island feels like Giligan's Island! ....Naah! I do love it here.    But I WOULD like to live over there for a few years...that would be REALLY GOOD!

We don't have counties or parishes (or there not words we refer to) but we do have 6 states and 2 territories.

States:
Tasmania (The little Island right down the bottom)
Victoria
New South Wales (Leonie, Erin and Chem 39)
Queensland (Me)
South Australia
Western Australia

Territories:
Australian Capital Territory
Northern Territory

Now I hope someone doesn't have to correct me and say that the ACT is now a state - 'cause I'd be pretty embarrassed! I suppose that fact I'm wondering is already embarassing...

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Well, hey! I had to ask! How embarrassing is that!?

I'm so glad I did though, or I wouldn't have known. Thanks, Anne.

What's the difference between the states and the territories?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Well, I had to cheat on that one, googled it - but at least you won't get a better answer than this! :

"What is the difference between a state and a territory?

Australia's six states represent the six British colonies that joined together to create the Commonwealth of Australia. In forming the Commonwealth, the states approved a Constitution that gave the new Commonwealth government the right to pass laws on certain subjects, and allowed the states to retain all other law-making rights. States therefore have a constitutional right to convene a state parliament and pass certain laws.

Any land within Australia's national border that is not claimed by one of the states is called a territory. Territories do not have the right to convene their own government or pass laws as the states do. Under the Constitution, the Commonwealth makes the laws for the territories.

The confusion between state and territory arises because the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory are often treated like states. These two territories, along with Norfolk Island, are self-governing territories. In these three cases, the Commonwealth passed a law allowing each territory to convene a parliament and make their own laws in a similar manner to the states. Unlike the states, whose powers are defined through the Constitution, the powers of these territories are defined in the Commonwealth law which grants them the right of self-government. This also means that the Commonwealth can alter or revoke these powers at will.

Under Section 121 of the Australian Constitution, territories can become states with the approval of the Commonwealth Parliament."

Great question....I'm learning too!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version