Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Seriously Tempted Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Margaret in MN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 17 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Margaret in MN

Wow. A little encouragement goes a long way on this forum! I almost hesitate to jump back into the conversation for fear that the stories will stop coming!

Because I am greatly bolstered in hearing them.

Thank you thank you thank you. The book that Lissa recommended has been requested at our library, and biscotti's on the menu (as per Helene's delicious suggestion). The rest of the stories & encouragement (like Cay's hilarious admission and Jenn's very honest one) are being guarded and pondered in my heart.

Again, I thank you all. You are big sweeties and are welcome to come by for some biscotti.

PS. As I've mentioned on my blog, the biggest challenge right now to my mental and emotional equilibrium is our potty training Camille. She is like a little puppy, if you know what I mean! Except puppies are a hundred times more docile than my Camille.

Come for Coffee
Back to Top View Margaret in MN's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret in MN Visit Margaret in MN's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 17 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Margaret in MN wrote:
PS. As I've mentioned on my blog, the biggest challenge right now to my mental and emotional equilibrium is our potty training Camille. She is like a little puppy, if you know what I mean! Except puppies are a hundred times more docile than my Camille.

How old is Camille? Does she WANT to be potty trained? I had to back off with my son, as it was more "my will" and not his, and it was so frustrating to both of us. I didn't need to add to our stress level.

One of my nieces was like a puppy...she just dribbled and wouldn't stay dry. This went on for a long time, trying all sorts of ways. And suddenly, she decided for herself she would stay dry, and she has.

It's all in the will. I think my son finally wants to do it himself...we're "late" in the world's view, but I'm feeling much better that he doesn't feel pressured, but doing it himself.

Long winded to just say, you might want to shelf it. Wait until it's warmer and she can run (and perhaps have accidents) OUTSIDE. You're not doing any harm postponing. You're trying to wrap up the school year, and this is too distracting. When I'm stressed, I can't handle keeping my cool when there is constant accidents!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 17 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Oh, potty training is such a challenge! I wish I'd ripped out all of our carpet *before* those days of adventure.      On second thought, I guess we're still "adventuring." My 4yo probably has about as many accidents now as he did when training!   

You continue in my prayers, Margaret!

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2007 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote doris

I'm so sorry to read that you've been feeling low, and glad that some encouragement has helped.

I'm no expert (with a 'mere' three children) but mine all potty trained fairly late -- 2 and 3 quarters -- but did it quickly then. Can't you backtrack for a while? All those accidents can't help your state of mind (or the local slide).

Hang in there. I'm praying.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Margaret, I know exactly how you feel. Come over to my Carnival of Joy today; I promise it will make you feel better. Also, I think part of it really IS winter. (At least I know all this SNOW is making it a lot harder for me to stay joyful.) I was feeling exactly the same way about a week or so ago, and, unfortunately, so were my kids. We backed off our normal routine, and I tried to think up fun things for the kids to do. I let them choose from the list every day, and would you believe my son has actually *chosen* to do his math? It's been better for everyone.

I also started a Finding Joy thread, which really helped.

As far as pottytraining goes... all my kids have been late. I mean, like *really* late. My almost 4 yo has been given an ultimatum of "when he turns 4" (i.e., the end of this week. ) I tend to wait until they have an interest, and then we, um, do it all at once. In the past, it has taken about a week. PM me if you want the details; I know this method of "extreme potty training" is not for everyone.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Margaret,
I'll keep you in my prayers. I often think that this homeschooling is much harder than I expected. I had visions of cozy read-alouds without all the noise and movement. I imagined spending lots of time outside without all of the whining. This morning I'm taking the kids to visit friends and some of them don't want to get dressed. I don't know what my point is, but this forum is great. You've got lots of good advice. I think all of us feel like you do sometimes. Hang in there.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Margaret in MN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 18 2007 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Margaret in MN

Angel: your Carnival looks lovely!! So inspiring...

Cheryl: you hang in there, too, Honey. Perhaps we can turn our prayers your way that your children agree to greet the day with their clothes on?

And thank you all again for your encouragement on this thread. The weather here in Minnesota has shifted to warmth and sunshine, and with the weather, my mood!

Oh, and following Jenn's advice re. potty-training my 2-year-old ("Does she want to be potty trained") has also helped tremendously. She is clearly not ready, which I figured out after she begged me to put her in a diaper!! You would think with "smarts" like that she would be bothered to walk around with a poopie,, but she's just not.

So I am happy (and much less side-tracked) to report that we have shelved the potty training project for now.

Have a beautiful day, everyone!

Come for Coffee
Back to Top View Margaret in MN's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret in MN Visit Margaret in MN's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Margaret in MN wrote:

So I am happy (and much less side-tracked) to report that we have shelved the potty training project for now.

Ooooh, what a difference that can make in Mom's outlook!

Glad to hear it. Enjoy your day, and Angela, I can't wait to visit that carnival!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Margaret, I just saw this after being gone for two days. I'm so sorry. I will keep you in my prayers. You are such an inspiration to us all.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Cheryl wrote:
Margaret,I often think that this homeschooling is much harder than I expected. I had visions of cozy read-alouds without all the noise and movement. I imagined spending lots of time outside without all of the whining.

Cheryl, are you sure you don't have MY kids?    My nephew is almost 4 and he just potty trained. He refused to do it until recently and now he's dry all day and even at night.

I always say that it's not the actual potty training as it's the mental exercise required on the mom's part that is difficult. My almost 2 year old is getting ready, but I'm not at all.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 18 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Margaret, just now seeing this. You've already gotten great advice and you seem to be on the right track again so I won't add more. Just sending you hugs and prayers. We've all been there before.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Wow, you guys. I know this started out as love for Margaret, but I have been following all of these links and trails to read about joy and it has been such a gift! I guess I missed those threads in the past. God is good. Thanks to all of you and prayers still coming Margaret. Please pray for us, too.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

cathhomeschool wrote:
is it the caffeine (too much? not enough??), nutrition, cycle, lack of sleep? And in truth it's all of those things put together (too much caffeine some days, definitely not enough on others!). And when I start to take better care of myself, I usually improve... and then eventually I slack off again and end up back at square one. HUGS to you, dear! You are a great mother and homeschooler! Slow down and do ONE thing.

Excellent advice. I love the caffeine references. Thank you, I needed that laugh after the sorrow that hit home with me.

You've had excellent advice so far. I just wanted to mention that the ONE thing you should start to concentrate on is to love and enjoy your children as a mother. Maybe put your *schooling* aside for a bit. You might be surprised at how your children blossom when the learning is in their own hands. And you might have to give them time to develop that love of learning again. Then, if you can, start to establish routines. I've learned, the hard way, that when children know somewhat what to expect, they settle into a routine easily.

I hope I've helped. Wish I could be there to you in person.

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

Margaret, dear friend, I just saw this (we have been dealing with the flu here this week).
Big hugs to you!
So glad you shelved the potty training--since it was not your idea to begin with anyway .
Hope you can take some of these great suggestions and take the time to enjoy life with your kids this week. They are truly blessed to have you as a mom!
Love,
Jane
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Cheryl M.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 18 2007 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl M.

Hugs Margaret! I think I could be the "poster mom" for your post. We've been homeschooling for a dozen years....feels like two dozen at times...our two teen boys are in Catholic high school and we have our 5th grade daughter at home...you would think with one child here to work with I could handle it very easily....some days it seems I'm doing her such a disservice...like today....
1. spent 3-4 hours on the computer/phone with Comcast to straighten out our very messed up email accounts
2. in between Comcast calls...tore up my sewing room floor in order to install new flooring this weekend (I vented my Comcast frustration on the old floor!)
3. late this evening I put up 50 lbs. of shrimp
4. laundry - cooking - errands -

thankfully all days are not like this and I've realized I cannot look at one day or one week...sometimes not even one month...it's years....and over time the picture is very beautiful. Hang in there, Sweetie!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2007 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Cheryl M. wrote:
3. late this evening I put up 50 lbs. of shrimp

OK I will take the bait    You did what? Where did you get 50# of shrimp? ANd what do you mean you put up? You have me in awe!

Sorry not trying to highjack the thread but there is no way I could let this go.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Cheryl M.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 18 2007 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl M.

HA HA! Only in south Louisiana would someone understand the words "I put up 50 lbs. of shrimp."

Yes, I purchased 50 lbs. of fresh shrimp caught last night in the Gulf of Mexico...$2.00 per pound...brought the very heavy cooler home and proceeded to spend 3 hours this evening pinching off the heads....keeping them iced well...then proceeded to wash the tails and bag them 5-6 cups(per bag) in Ziploc freezer bags to freeze for meals to cook at a later date....it's a seasonal thing...Shrimp season just opened a few days ago...I'll probably do this again in early August when white shrimp season opens....

I purchased this from a first cousin of mine...they caught 500 lbs. of shrimp on this particular trip...maybe it will be a plentiful year for our struggling shrimpers in the area.

back on topic now....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version