Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: How many times a day... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 17 2005 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Does anyone else enjoy ironing? It's one of my favorite chores. I mostly just iron Kevin's work shirts and our Sunday clothes, but I would do more if I had time. My mother thinks I'm nuts.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2005 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Elizabeth wrote:
We run the vacuum cleaner incessantly and the steam cleaner almost as much. I've discovered that the steam cleaner I bought for the carpets does a great job on vinyl.

Elizabeth,

What steam cleaner do you have? I have been thinking of getting one. The carpet I had installed in my bedroom about 8 months ago looks like it was installed in a movie theatre already. Is a steam cleaner worth the investment? Can you use it on area rugs?

Thanks.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

1Bookworm
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 19 2005 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote 1Bookworm

How often:

do you run your dishwasher?

1-2x a day,depending on how many paper plates I can get away with using, and if dh is home all day. I love the color coding idea, btw. Will have to see what dh thinks about that!

your washer?

Ugh...I am Soooooooooo BAD with laundry. I just called a dear friend with 5 children (I just had my 5th) almost in tears, asking her to "tell me I can really do this 5 children thing???" 2-3 days a week I do close to 15 loads. I should do them daily, but with young kids in the house and playdough constantly on the kitchen table (where I fold laundry) I just can't seem to stick to it regularly. I *hate* to iron, and do that only when I have to.

your vacuum cleaner?

Ahhhhhhhh, my kids do almost all the vacuuming, so that gets done often. Daily in the main room, every other day in the hallway and under the table (a simple area rug to protect the wood floor) although really, I should schedule this daily too, and every other day in the kids bedrooms. My 11 yo sweeps and dry swiffs the wood floor every other day, too. My 8 yr old is a better vacuum-er than my 11 yr old...go figure!

As for bathrooms, my kids bathroom is cleaner than mine, because I buy those clorox wipes in bulk at Sam's Club and my 8yo dd wipes the toilet, sink and mirror every other day as one of her morning chores. My 11 yo ds sweeps and wet swiffs their bathroom floor once a week. As soon as I have a child old enough to clean the tub/shower, I will schedule that in weekly, too. The master bathroom is my responsibility and as such, gets done so little that I am embarrassed to even tell you about it.

A great chore for 3 yr olds, btw, is to give them a baby wipe (I don't like kids this young using clorox wipes yet) and let them wipe doorknobs, light switches, and plastic toys that get a lot of use. They don't even consider it to be work! LOL Not that they do a great job, but I have adopted Flylady's saying as my own,

"Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family."

Bookswithtea

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: June 20 2005 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Kelly wrote:
PS My cousin got a call from her 9 yo daughter's teacher because the teacher was concerned about dd's language skills. Apparently, dd didn't know what an iron was! My cousin, feeling "busted" by the laundry police, quickly went out and bought an iron just so her dd would have that bit of "cultural literacy" in her lexicon!

Kelly, you just gave me the laugh of the day! In fact, I think I'll be chuckling off and on the rest of the day over that story. I only pull my iron out for quick fixes of dresses on some Sunday mornings, so I can identify with your cousin.

Dishwasher: once/day or every 4 meals or so
We do a lot of eating breakfast and lunch on napkins and paper plates when possible. We also have the one cup per person per day rule.

Laundry: around 4 loads every 4-5 days
I'd rather do it all at once and then have a few days' break from laundry. Also, my 9 and 10 yo dds do their own laundry--two loads per week, I think.

Vacuum: Is someone coming to visit?

Sweep kitchen floor: once/day after dinner unless it obviously needs it earlier as well

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2005 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

When we were building our home, my smart dh decided to have 2 dishwashers and 2 sinks in the kitchen!
Even so, each dishwasher runs at least once a day, thought usually one of them gets a second run. I do lot of scratch cooking and baking.

Laundry: once again I have 2 washers and two dryers. I usually do about 4 loads per day

Vacuuming: about every other day with the small Oreck on the carpeted stairs. The first floor is all tile and wood, so we do a lot more sweeping and swiffering, wet and dry, everyday, than vacuuming. Upstairs bedrooms, carpeted, once a week.
I am another big fan of Clorox wipes. I used to feel somewhat guilty about using them, but now I rationalize that if the bathrooms are getting touched up and cleaned more frequently, that's a good thing, right?

I've got nine people here now, soon to be 10 when one of my dd's moves back home.

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 30 2005 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

I love that story about not knowing what an iron was!!! I absolutely HATE ironing. I do it maybe 2-3 times a year. My dh's button-downs go to the cleaners ($.99/each) and most all other stuff is knitwear around here that doesn't get ironed...

I usually run the dishwasher 1 or 2 times per day, depending on how much scratch-cooking we're doing at the time, etc. (not much of that happening here lately...)

The one good thing about this new rental house is that the laundry room is huge so I plan to leave the ironing board up so I might actually use it more and have it handy for sewing projects...

JoAnna

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2005 at 2:55am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Kristine, LOL about the Pooh utensils!! Will our children be affected for life by our throwing away their "treasures"? I usually try to wait until they are outside or asleep!!

Dishwasher - once a month....maybe
I do dishes after breakfast and then again after dinner. We usually use paper plates for lunch. Dh is great at helping with the dishes. God bless him!!

Laundry - 6 or 7 loads every week and a half or so.
I have a large capacity washer and the kids are still somewhat little which helps. I also can't bear the thought of doing laundry everyday. Lately, dh and kids have been helping fold and put away, so that goes fast.

Vacumm - Like Irene said, "is someone coming to visit?"
What a motivator company is! I might not clean if not for friends coming over! We've got mostly hardwood floors as well. My older girls help out here as well.

Got to get to the store for those wipes - bathrooms - UUUGGGHH!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2005 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We had all my local family over for the 4th of July...14 kids and 12 adults. For "vertical living" in a townhouse, it went well. I'm looking forward to more "horizontal living" where we can be more on one floor (or outside) without crawling over everyone. I did have to sweep during the party, as there were crumbs everywhere. Since my ds is contact reactive to eggs, wheat and milk, I had to keep things out of his way. He still broke out in some hives (must have picked up a Dorito somewhere), but it was minor. This thread came to my mind as I was trying to keep the dirt down.

I come from a family of 7...now I only have 1 of my own so far. But we never ran the vacuum twice or even once a day! That surprises me! We had certain days for laundry and certain days for vacuuming. I was wondering for those who are vacuuming frequently, is it because you have pets or lots of dirt or food tracked in the house? I swiffer once a day (give or take), unless I have company that are tracking crumbs everywhere.

I thought I would establish more of a weekly schedule for some chores (vacuum, dust, laundry) instead of daily chores....seeing some of your lists makes me wonder if I'm missing something (besides the obvious lack of people and pets in my house? ) Not even growing up did we have daily vacuuming. But maybe girls are neater?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2005 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Hi Jenn,
The weekly schedule sounds like a nice idea if you think you need it, but the rule I have about mine is that I don't want to become a slave to it, so I do what's necessary (usually when the kids are napping) and move on to the things I can't wait to do! I think I pulled out the vac every couple of days when I had just 1 chickie!

As far a the vacuum question goes, I didn't grow up with a vacuum pulled out every day (once a week) but I also grew up with carpets which hid a lot of dirt and crumbs...we also had ants despite my mom's cleaning efforts. Now we have hardwood floors and I can't stand dirt under my feet (little bits that stick to the bottom...yuck!) so the vacuum comes out at least once a day! (I'm a little OCD about this .)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2005 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

saintanneshs wrote:
As far a the vacuum question goes, I didn't grow up with a vacuum pulled out every day (once a week) but I also grew up with carpets which hid a lot of dirt and crumbs...we also had ants despite my mom's cleaning efforts. Now we have hardwood floors and I can't stand dirt under my feet (little bits that stick to the bottom...yuck!) so the vacuum comes out at least once a day! (I'm a little OCD about this .)

What kind of vacuum do you use on your hardwood floors?

The carpet hides the dirt, but it doesn't mean it isn't there. Our new house doesn't have hardwood floors, and that's an improvement we hope to make soon. I love hardwood floors.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2005 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

We have hardwood, tile and only carpet in the master bedroom. We put in an *in-house* vac system which is worth it's weight in gold! It has a 35 foot hose and then the attachments go on the end of the hose so there's no canister to drag around. I find I vaccumm under the kitchen table daily if not multiple times throughout the day depending upon how messy each meal is. I'm with Kristine and can't stand to have stuff stick to the bottom of my feet when I'm going from room to room. We had *shag* growing up as a kid and I don't even want to know what was *hidden* in those lovely carpets

I also find that if I vac at least the main traffic areas daily it's much less work keeping the rest of the house up. Just my .02

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2005 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

[QUOTE=jenngm67]
What kind of vacuum do you use on your hardwood floors?
[QUOTE]

I've been reading on the CCM boards about the kinds of vacuums other mothers love for their hardwood floors and learning what to buy next time. I have a Hoover bagless and it is the worst! Despite the multiple height settings I can actually feel the dirt smacking against my feet and ankles as the vacuum shoots it out underneath. And the mess of cleaning out the canister and air filter is disgusting. I can't wait for mine to die so I can get a new one...this one was a "steal" at Lowe's (or so I thought). I guess I got what I paid for!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version