Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Here we go again Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 18 2007 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Mary, what a great (and humorous!) analysis of our situations!

My dh went to the Confirmation retreat meeting with ds this evening. He ran into the INSULTED group (again). The "What high school does your son go to...Ohhhh," group. He says he also gets this on the commuter train from professional women...almost a chip on the shoulder kind of thing. One woman actually told him (on the train) that she couldn't afford to stay home to educate their kids, after she'd told him all about their boat, big home, and so on.

I don't get the chip on the shoulder thing; instead I get the "You should be canonized" comment. Equally silly. I guess it's a conversational dynamic. Here, folks are afraid to tell me I have three heads and five noses because I homeschool (I guess I could remove a head and whack them with it?) so they attack my dh instead.

It's a vocation. We choose to follow God's call to homeschool. We give up some things to do that. Well...a lot of things. Cost: high. Rewards: eternal.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2007 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I also tend to use examples of grown homeschoolers who are doing fine - now, I have my own older ones but I used to say " I know many other homeschooling families with great older kids and they have been such an example for me. I know homeschooling through high school works - these kids are doing xyz."

Of course, sometimes these weren't people I knew IRL but the original questioner didn't have to know that. And its hard to argue with real life examples...

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Wow, GREAT thread! I have so much to say, but don't have the time right now. I'm enjoying reading all of the responses though, and will come back later. GREAT thread! I love Mary's list... Hysterical!!!          

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Tifflynene
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 26 2007 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote Tifflynene

Thank you all for posting these comments...I am thanking God that we are not alone. I could use your prayers!

Our oldest son will be in 8th grade this year. We homeschool all of our children but he is the only one that did go to public school up until 5th grade. We are facing those same comments that Alice is getting. (Especially from our parents..which is very tough)!Even our son is facing these comments from other non-homeschooling friends. (Many from our own parish) We are the only homeschooling family in our local parish, by the way! (Farly small town of about 17,000)

We are also having a difficult time with the decision because he is a good swimmer and the coach at our local highschool would love to have him swim for the team and has told us so. There is only 1 highschool and they do not allow homeschoolers to take a couple of classes and still be on a sports team. Our son really wants to attend which is making it hard for us. Not that sports are that important but he truly loves it and he's very good. He is also a good student and does well in a school setting. My husband and I both want him to homeschool through highschool (especially for the continued Catholic education) but my husband is more solid than I am.

On a side note, the only Catholic highschool is 45 minutes away and let's just say that it is not representing the Catholic faith very well at all. So our only option is to homeschool or allow him to attend the local highschool.

I would appreciate your prayers and any advice. I keep taking it to prayer and offer it up frequently during my Adoration time but not feeling any resolution...

Blessings to you all,

Mother to 5 living blessings!
ds (age 13); ds (age 8); dd (age 4); ds (age 3); and baby on the way
Back to Top View Tifflynene's Profile Search for other posts by Tifflynene

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2007 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Tifflynene wrote:
Thank you all for posting these comments...I am thanking God that we are not alone. I could use your prayers!

Tiffany, I revisited this thread recently looking for support because of the backhanded comments we are getting already about homeschooling our swimmer boy. . Our son is only eleven, so I can only imagine what you're going through with an eighth grader!

I will be praying for you.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Tifflynene
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 26 2007 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote Tifflynene

Thank you Patty and I will pray for your support as well. When I do my morning rosary walks, I always pray for all of you homeschooling families!

At this point I am just praying that God's will be done. We have also asked our son to pray about it and take it to the Blessed Sacrament. Jesus will either change our hearts or his!

Thank you again for prayers.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2007 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I know some boys in my own local area who don't mind continuing hs but want desperately to play football (we live in a very small town as well). Pray, especially since your dh is firm in his desire to homeschool. I have seen God work miracles providing for children who need a team to play on or something similar while continuing to homeschool (not just in my family but in other families as well). There are *tons* of threads right now on the teenage forum regarding teaching 9th grade, if that might be helpful.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Tifflynene
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 29 2007 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Tifflynene

Books-

Thanks for the support. I'll check out the other teenage topics.

I notice we have children born similar years but you have 1 more!

Thanks again.

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2007 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

My oldest (I also have 6 others!) will be starting 9th grade in the fall. As I recall, when he was just getting ready for 7th grade, people began asking us if we were going to continue to homeschool him through high school. My answer then was, "Of course!! He is finally starting to become really useful to me now!" Or "Of course! Teaching phonics is not really where it's at!"

However, I must say I am looking forward to using the newest answer that I thought up recently about socialization: when people ask me if I am worried about the socialization of my children, I am going to look at them with the nicest smile that I can put on my face and say very straight forwardly, "Yes, as a matter of fact I am...I am worried that they are going to be socialized by YOUR children!"

I find that humor is almost always the best way to handle anyone's concerns AND it helps me to remember that joy and laughter and innocence are some of my main reasons for homeschooling!
Back to Top View Lara Sauer's Profile Search for other posts by Lara Sauer

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2007 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Alice,

The good thing is that you probably only have to go through this once! Once you "prove" that they turn out well-adjusted and educated, you won't have to do it with each child. We had all of the questioning with 1st dc and now that she is almost graduated, family and friends are seeing how mature and responsible she is and how different she is from your average teen. So now that we have another hs age, we aren't getting that anymore. I am finding too, with the exception of online, that many homeschoolers drop out by hs too. Maybe for the activities available at the local hs.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version