Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Family Prayer Life - Philosophical Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 16 2006 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Karen E. wrote:
I'm late again ...

Just wanted to add that "the family that prays together" could also be used to teach about logical fallacies.

Just as it isn't true that the mere act of eating dinner together makes for a strong family, it isn't the case that trooping into a room and saying some prayers will keep a family together (if it is insincere prayer.)

But on the flip side, just as a family that is strongly bonded will *want* to spend meal time together, they will also want to pray together, and will want to advance in *sincere* prayer.

The objective observance of the act is not equivalent to engaging in the act for the right reasons.

And, as Gwen so wisely pointed out, "All prayer should be from the heart (not to be confused with 'feeling it') and rote prayer can be a tremendous aid to praying in 'dry times.'"

If the prayer is indeed from the heart, then the family will be brought together for prayer for the right reasons.

I'm late, too. I wanted to say Amen to all you say, Karen. I loved Cay's points of the different types of prayer through Ignatius, and especially thank you, Gwen, for your points on rote prayer. I'm in a bit of a dry spell right now, and it's hard to concentrate. I've actually been compiling in my head a blog post before your wrote about how much comfort rote prayer can provide in times like this. It's a blessing. It has to be a component of prayer...after all, Jesus gave us the Our Father.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2006 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MicheleQ wrote:
momwise wrote:
the Church encourages devotion to the Rosary but it is not part of the official prayer of the Church. So although we continue to pray the Rosary here several times a week, I have "tweaked" it many times to fit my family's needs.

However, the Liturgy of the Hours mentioned here is a part of the Church's official prayers and the Church encourages all groups who meet throughout the day or evening to incorporate it into their meetings and gatherings; this would certainly include the family.

Indeed it does. Here's a quote from the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours:
". . .it is of great advantage for the family, the domestic sanctuary of the Church, not only to pray together to God but also to celebrate some parts of the liturgy of the hours as occasion offers, in order to enter more deeply into the life of the Church."

Very good points! But we can go full circle here...many times those who couldn't pray the Office due to various circumstances were given a dispensation, and many times the daily Rosary was given as the substitute.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Just thought that it was worth posting the link to the Vatican site to see the encyclical written by Pope John Paul II on the rosary, very good reading, just the introduction alone, consisting of two paragraphs says so much.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

JennGM wrote:
we can go full circle here...many times those who couldn't pray the Office due to various circumstances were given a dispensation, and many times the daily Rosary was given as the substitute.

This reminds me of the time I went to confession at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in downtown Denver. Usually most of the priests are known for being very good confessors. However on this night everyone was hightailing it into one line, leaving the other priest all alone . So not the one to wait in a long line when there is no line on the other side, I walked over, walzed into confession (which turned out very well) and was given ... an entire 5-decade Rosary for a penance!! . No wonder everyone else (mostly very young people) was avoiding him.    I did my whole penance before leaving church though.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Oh Golly,
I really needed this discussion. I have been feeling, so very much, what Elizabeth wrote about "Our souls were restless indeed."

I have planned on scaling back involvement in a couple groups which have become, for me, obstacles in my spiritual life. Not that they themselves are bad, but my own self is hurting. I wasn't the best person I could be.    I don't know exactly how to put it all into words.

I have been working on a "spiritual plan" this past week, and then I read this topic. I had been praying the rosary for a while, loved it, but got away from it with ...life. I am very interested in the St. Therese rosary cd Elizabeth mentioned.

I am heading to our local Catholic bookstore today, and am going to take a look at the Liturgy of the Hours, also. I had forgotten about it! Thank you!

I also need to work on our family prayer time. We have definitely been lacking there. When I think about the discussions about boys and difficulties arising with them, I am feeling more convinced that a daily rosary with all the family could help to bring at least momentary serenity to our home.

I know I have been babbling. I have just been feeling so lost, stressed, down in my spiritual life (which really is my whole life when you think about it,) and I am so grateful for the help I have found here!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
dh Frank '85, dss Matt '88, Mike '90, Pete '95, Mark '98, Paul '01, and John '04 (and two angels)
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version