Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Sacred Heart /Immaculate Heart Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 31 2005 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

These feasts fall on Fri. and Sat. A lot of ideas from the Corpus Christithread will work here as well, such as the Catholic Culture site. Lots of ideas you used for St. Valentine's day apply here if they have to do with hearts. We pull out our St. Valentine's clearance plates and napkins to use throughout the day as a visual reminder. A study of hearts and blood would be a great science project!

God bless,
Gwen in Denver
Back to Top View momwise's Profile Search for other posts by momwise

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2005 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Great ideas! We have had several parties to celebrate these feasts, Gwen. One year, I went crazy making hearts out of everything--heart shaped sandwiches, heart shaped cookies, a heart shaped cake. My husband looked at all the goodies, as I began cranking them out the night before, and said, "Well, you certainly know how to stick to a theme."   

A couple of crafts we've made in the past:

Sacred Heart Refrigerator Magnets

Materials:
Thin wooden hearts from the craft store
Small wooden crosses
Paint in red or dark pink, darker red, brown
Thin gold foil
Twigs or small pieces of woody vine
Glue or Hot glue
Magnets (sticky magnetic tape works well and is sold in the craft store)

Paint the wooden hearts red or dark pink. Paint the wooden crosses brown. Allow both to dry. Cut the gold foil in the shape of flame. Glue it to the top of the heart. Glue the wooden cross on top of the flame. Glue twigs or small pieces of woody vine around the center of the heart to look like the crown of thorns (this could be drawn on with brown paint instead, but the effect is not as nice). Draw a wound with the dark red paint across the front of the heart with small drops of blood coming down. Stick a large piece of magnet tape on the back. Take a look at this old fashioned holy card as a guide. (Another guide).

Immaculate Heart of Mary Garden Stakes

Materials:
Heart Shaped Garden Stakes (from the craft store)
Light pink paint
Small silk flowers (the scrapbooking section has these with pre-taped backs)
Gold Foil
Silver Foil (sturdy, if possible)--optional

Paint the hearts pink and arrange a wreath of silk flowers around the center. Cut the gold foil in the shape of flame and glue it at the top. This lovely picture of the Immaculate Heart could serve as a guide. As another option, cut silver foil in two pieces--one to resemble the blade of a sword and the other the handle. Arrange to make it appear that the sword is piercing the heart. (Another guide.)

Needless to say, you could interchange these ideas or make matching garden stakes or refrigerator magnets of both the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts. Don't leave the garden stakes out too long though--the elements will ruin them in a hurry.

This Two Hearts Image is also very beautiful and would be a great prop to use when explaining "To Jesus Through Mary."

By the way, we are having a huge May Crowning at my house tomorrow--possibly the only May Crowning anywhere that is held on the first of June! Illness prevented our original crowning date (May 18th--JPII's birthday), and bad weather washed out the second. Because the feast of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts is so soon, I'll be talking about how Mary always leads us to Jesus. In this case, she led us from the month dedicated to the Blessed Mother to the month dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2005 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

If your house isn't already enthroned to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, now would be a great time! You need a willing priest and a Sacred Heart picture. There is an apostolate dedicated to helping families do home enthronements, but I can't find it offhand. Maybe someone out there has the info? This is a wonderful blessing on a home. When we had our home enthroned, I never thought my ultra-fallen-away Catholic dh would go for it, but participate he did, even to processing thru the house with the children singing "Benedictus qui venit". It was very special.

If your house is already enthroned, you can renew your enthronement with a formal ceremony, or by informal prayers or singing. One enthronement prayer I've seen that would be very appropriate goes, simply:

"Most Sacred Heart of Jesus/we thank you for choosing our family from so many others/to receive the gift of Your presence and of Your love. Help make this home another Bethany,/where you will always find Yourself among friends. Amen."

Follow this up with a heart cake (where's Alice with all her creative Heart Themes?!) and decorations. Use your red tablecloth (I keep on hand "liturgical" tablecloths in green, blue, red and working on a purple...all very useful for achieving a quick, liturgically-correct look!).

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2005 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I have always wanted to have our home enthroned, Kelly.

Your idea about the tablecloths is brilliant. I usually wind up buying disposable cloths at the party store, but I love the idea of having beautiful ones on hand.

For anyone looking for a simple activity, here is a coloring page with images of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts.

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 01 2005 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I got this from simple Prayer of Consecration from the Priests of the Sacred Heart.

Almighty Father, we consecrate ourselves and our home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, who loves us with a tender and everlasting love.

We wish to return this love to Him in the way we treat, respect, and love each other.

We pledge to live our lives together in the ways of Christ Jesus.

We welcome Jesus as a living member of our family. We invite Him to be the Heart of our family.

We accept Mary as our heavenly Mother. We implore her protection and help in our daily lives.

May our love go beyond our home into the world, so that we may do our part to build up Your kingdom, to feed the hungry, to help the poor, and to lead all souls to Your Sacred Heart.

Amen.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2005 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Thanks ladies for the prayers. We'll print one out for morning and night prayers.

I noticed someplace had lace on sale this week. I think it was Joanne's. I already have a red tablecloth but I was going to try to get blue lace for Our Lady's feast days. And mayble purple.

God bless,
Gwen in Denver

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 01 2005 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

I love all these links, Alice! I'm printing away!

This is semi-off-topic but am I the only Catholic who is uncomfortable with the more graphic images of the Sacred Heart? The ones that really try to look like bleeding hearts? I'm the same way about some of the artwork from South and Central America and Spain, etc. that have very gruesome crucifixes. I know that Jesus' death was cruel... I just don't know if having so much of that kind of artwork around is healthy (not quite the right word but that's what comes to mind).

KWIM?

JoAnna

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2005 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

mrsgranola wrote:
This is semi-off-topic but am I the only Catholic who is uncomfortable with the more graphic images of the Sacred Heart? The ones that really try to look like bleeding hearts? I'm the same way about some of the artwork from South and Central America and Spain, etc. that have very gruesome crucifixes.

No, JoAnna, not at all. I admit that I usually choose the more idealized and beautiful images.

Cottage Blessings

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2005 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

JoAnna,

My older sister and brothers talk about getting each other up to keep them company at night b/c to get to our bathroom you had to pass the picture of the Sacred Heart. It is pretty intense for a child, and they were scared!!!
They never told my parents until they were older. My parents laughed and said they would have moved it to another spot in their apartment. By the time myself and my younger brother came along the picture was by my Mom's ironing board. She always said she spent so much time doing laundry and ironing it helped her to focus on her spiritual side of life. I agree with you about the graphic images of Our Lord. They do have their place but not necessarily do I want those images adorning my hallways.
Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2005 at 1:07am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Maybe you could let your children pick out a Sacred Heart picture that appeals to them? I let my then 8-yo ds pick out a Sacred Heart picture and the one he selected looks JUST like a long-haired, semitic Clark Kent (without the glasses) pulling open his suit to reveal his superman outfit underneath. But of course, instead of a superman outfit, it's the ultimate Superman's Sacred Heart. I figured it was just my own 60's-TV-fed, overly-creative imagination (like my rosary book that has a picture of Joseph that looks SO much like Omar Sharif) until one day my ds mentioned that that was why he picked out the picture, too!

That being said,the Sacred Heart image that we used in our enthronement and keep in our living room is actually an icon, so it's much more stylized, not graphic at all. I know exactly what you mean, though. I *think* that for an enthronement, your Sacred Heart image must show Jesus's crown of thorns and His Sacred Heart, but beyond that you have a fair bit of latitude in your artistic preferences. I'm always surprised at the great variety of Sacred Heart pictures that exists and how each person has a different, unique image that really speaks to them.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2005 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote momwise

My dd mentioned to me yesterday that she thought there was a Bleeding Heart Plant of some kind. I was hoping it was a house plant so I could bring it home for the feast day but it's an outdoor perennial.

If I see one at the nursery this month I'll plant it for next June!

Sacred Heart of Jesus....Have Mercy on us!

Gwen in Denver

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 03 2005 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Gwen,
I bought a potted bleeding heart a few years ago and hung it on the front porch (when we had a front porch). I don't think it's too late to do that.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version