Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Chapter Books for Boys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Veronica's Veil
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 08 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Veronica's Veil

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions on Chapter Books for boys?

My 10yo boy is a huge reader, but we have real problems finding books for him, because he is so picky. He likes things that go in a sequence. He read ALL the Boxcar Children books, he has many of the "Wishbone" series but he finds those a little difficult to follow (he's too young to have seen the show when it was on here) and he doesn't get some of the wit used. I read the Little House series aloud to them in 2005 so I don't think he is ready to re-read those himself yet. Although he didn't mind at all those being "about girls" like I thought he would. lol.

A very kind older gentleman once engaged us in conversation at a restaurant upon learning that we were homeschoolers he highly recommended the books by Altscheler, so we promptly looked those up at our library but they did look just a pinch over my son's head right now (4th grade) but are definitely something we will come back to in a year or so.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has a list of standby's or something? Thanks, in advance.
Back to Top View Veronica's Veil's Profile Search for other posts by Veronica's Veil

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 08 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote 5athome

Homer Price and Henry Reed books might work
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote momwats8

Ho w About the magic tre House books by MAry Pope Osorne? They may be a little easy for him though. There are also the Hardy Boy Books - my kids like those ans there are alot to read and are in order. Another idea is the Series of Unfortunate Events Books also by Lemony Snickett.

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We've been doing lots of read-alouds lately and some of the more masculine ones that were VERY well rec'd by my boys are:

The Lost Island by Eilis Dillon -- a GREAT adventure yarn about Ireland
Otto of the Silver Hand by Howard Pyle -- not too long so your son might really like this one.
Redwall -- seems a bit daunting because it's a big book, but it's VERY readable and such an exciting story (it's actually 3 books in one so he could break it into chunks).
Any of Hilda vanStockums are just great reads for kids -- both girls and boys. We especially like her Mitchell family books, the first is Five for Victory: The Mitchells set in WW2 in Washington, DC.

Now these are books your son could read to himself or you could read with him. We're doing family read-alouds at night during Lent and these are BIG hits.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 08 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

On my website, I've posted a list of series books that I've compiled over time. The list helps provide inspiration when I'm putting things on hold at the library or shopping for birthday or Christmas. All titles listed seem to be well-regarded from what I can gather. I did not include any books where I knew of any questionable content.

The link for that list is here.

If nothing else, it provides a starting point for Amazon searches!

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Veronica's Veil
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 08 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Veronica's Veil

Oh Wow! Thank you all so much, this gives me a great number to seek out at the library for him, he will be delighted! It's so nice to have such a place to gather wisdom! Thank you
Back to Top View Veronica's Veil's Profile Search for other posts by Veronica's Veil

ChristinaK
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 08 2007 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote ChristinaK

My 8 year old really likes the Hank the Cowdog series by John Erickson. There are a lot of them so if he likes them they will keep him busy for awhile. We have been able to get almost all of them from the library.
Back to Top View ChristinaK's Profile Search for other posts by ChristinaK Visit ChristinaK's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 08 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't know quite where these fall reading level wise.. but we've started reading aloud "Big Red" by Jim Kjelgaard about an irish setter and the boy who befriends him.. the boy works for a rich man who raises the dog as a show dog.. but the boy and his father are hunters/trappers.. there's 3 books.. Big Red, Irish Red and Outlaw Red

CS Lewis' Narnia

My son also like The Mouse and the Motorcycle and Stone Fox when we read them a year or so ago.. also Old Yeller.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version