Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Patrick Lapbook Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 07 2007 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Wasn't sure which forum would be best for this topic, so feel free to move me!

I just wanted to mention a great resource I found at the homeschoolestore. It is published by In the Hands of a Child and it is a lapbook on St. Patrick. It has awesome directions on putting it all together and wonderful information on St. Patrick. There are sections on other Irish Saints, the process of canonization, etc. I was impressed!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 07 2007 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Jenny,
First, I moved the post to Rabbit Trails and then I went toin the hands of a child. Perfect! I had no plans and now I do. Thanks so much! Let's list book suggestions to go with this in this thread.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2007 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Has anyone purchased from In the Hands of a Child? I have often thought that they look fantastic. Unfortunately they don't post to Australia anymore although they do still send the ebooks (obviously)

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 07 2007 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I've never purchased before today--and I just did, but haven't gotten my ebooks yet. Two years ago, I did their free Thanksgiving lapbook (doubt that was big over in Australia ), and we all enjoyed it very much. My Patrick loves to lapbook and we haven't done any since the baby was born. I think he'll be pleased with this !

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2007 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

We're finishing up The Human Body by In the Hands of a Child. We've really enjoyed it. I may have to get this one, too!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 07 2007 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

We have not used Hands of a Child, but we did make our own St. Patrick Lapbooks last year. We included copywork of the Lorica, a map of Ireland, a map of the United Kingdom that highlighted Scotland, an Icon of St. Patrick and a crossword puzzle (googled). We had been to a St. Patrick's Day party that year in which the kids went on a shamrock hunt collecting bright green (2") paper shamrocks through the woods. On those shamrocks we wrote fun facts about St. Patrick and also the names of the children at the party. We used those shamrocks to pray for the other guests, and then included them all in the lapbook. The cover of the lapbook was this coloring page. The kisd also embellished with hand-drawn Celtic crosses, shamrocks, and calligraphy. It was short and fun.

I don't know if you meant any books about St. Patrick, or just links to books that Hands of a Child recommends in the study, but my favorite St. Patrick book is dePaola's. There are many others in this old thread.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Books:

Dawn has some listed in her sidebar that I thought looked good and inter library loaned for our family.

Here is a Matching file folder game that I made last year.

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 07 2007 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

I've ordered a lot for 'In the Hands of a Child' and I have been pleased. Their lapbooks end up looking a little more "canned" than homemade ones, but they are great for beginners or for people like me who don't have the time to pull things together themselves. We add our own personal touches with stickers, clipart, color photocopies and anything else we can find. Sometimes I get mad at myself for taking the easy (and expensive) way out, but I really appreciate this resource.

We're also doing the St. Patrick Day lapbook and so far it's going well! I got some gold glitter to make a cool looking pot of gold somewhere on there.

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 08 2007 at 4:37am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Elizabeth:

It probably sounds wrong, but I really don't plan on having us read anything for this! LOL We're just going to work on the lapbook and watch a dvd documentary/drama I have on St. Patrick.

I'm trying to keep it very simple, as we have so many other books we're reading right now! I want it to be short rabbit trail that goes in a straight line and has a definite ending point!

monica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:23am | IP Logged Quote monica

hey everyone, im wanting to do some st patricks day stuff way out here in romania. well, i guess we are closer to ireland than most of you. BUT, i dont have a library or time to get books sent here. do you know of any good websites with poems and/or stories about st patrick?? i saw the ebook on hands of a child, but i was hoping for something cheaper and/or free. know what i mean?? thanks friends

monica
Back to Top View monica's Profile Search for other posts by monica Visit monica's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

monica wrote:
   i was hoping for something cheaper and/or free.

FIAR has one for $9.

Scroll down to the bottom of this link: St. Patrick "fold and learn" (lapbook)

You need a color printer for this lapbook.   

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Take a look at some of the links I compiled in my two posts here and here. They might be helpful.

This article on St. Patrick is for children. The rest of the website is interesting to surf and get ideas for recipes, Irish-Gaelic phrases, etc.

There is also the Lorica of St. Patrick, which is also called St. Patrick's Breastplate.

Enjoy!
Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 08 2007 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

The FIAR Fold-and-Learn is cheaper, but it isn't as good, in my opinion. It doesn't contain the Catholic info that Hands of a Child does -- such as the process for canonization, other Saints of Ireland, etc. It also doesn't contain any vocabulary words, Gaelic words, or cool minit, layered, matchbooks, and flap books. The Hands of a Child product is 103 pages long. Every mini flap book, fold, etc. has a page of instructions (so, you aren't printing out 103 pages, but they are in the pdf for your instruction.) The FIAR product has no instructions and only contains 8 pages. I was really, truly disappointed in it -- I purchased the digital FIAR product first and I was bummed. I went to homeschoolestore and found the other one -- it was exactly what I was hoping for.

To compare -- the FIAR product looks the result you would get if you spent 5 minutes at Enchanted Learning printing off worksheets. The Hands of a Child product is like an entire unit study in lapbook form. It includes website links and the lapbook is a real teaching tool: our faith, vocabulary word cards and pocket, the history of the holiday, information on Ireland, Irish population of American and Ireland, cut-out booklet on how St. Patrick got his name -- I could go on!

I will use a few of the things from the FIAR Fold-and-Learn, but I'm not pleased with it at all. Maybe they don't realize the level of these other products that are for sale at homeschoolestore? I hate to say that because I usually love FIAR products and am planning on doing some Beyond units right now!

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

JennyMaine wrote:
The FIAR Fold-and-Learn is cheaper, but it isn't as good, in my opinion. It doesn't contain the Catholic info that Hands of a Child does -- such as the process for canonization, other Saints of Ireland, etc.

Hands of a Child is much better, I agree. I think I read too much into two posts above while in a hurry (and nursing) that wasn't there looking back. There wasn't a search specifically for *any* lapbook, but plans for the unit.    I apologize!    I'm feeling very foolish right now.

I didn't buy the St. Patrick fold-n-learn because it's something I could easily put together. (Personally, I'd want a huge picture of St Patrick on the cover rather than the clover.) I just thought someone might be interested.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 08 2007 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm glad that so many different sources have been mentioned, including the FIAR option. Knowing what's available just helps have different options depending on what folks are looking for.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Let me ask this, when you buy something like this St Patrick lapbook, do you buy one for each child? Or do you make a family lapbook?

I have never made one and I like the idea of a "canned" one. However, I don't like the price if I have to buy five.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Elizabeth, what is the e-book?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 08 2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jenny and Elzabeth
If this unit is so packed of information, how long do you estimate it would take you to do?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

If you buy the e-book, can you use the materials over again for other years? Edited to clarify -- or for more than one child; in other words, can you make multiple copies?

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

monica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 09 2007 at 3:02am | IP Logged Quote monica

thanks for all your great ideas!! now i just need to figure out what we have time for!!    thanks again
monica
Back to Top View monica's Profile Search for other posts by monica Visit monica's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version