Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Why wooden? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I know that Montessori uses natural materials. But that's about the extent of my understanding!

I like wooden toys, etc. and use them a lot, but...

I'm embarrassed to say that I look at the wooden items at Worship Woodworks recommended in the Catechesis Materials thread and think, "but there's no faces?" and "how do they know who is who?"

I (as an adult) appreciate the Fontini type stuff that looks more real. But is that how a kid thinks?

Could someone please point me in the direction of posts or materials that explains this method/type of thinking! I've tried searching, but there are so many posts in the search to read and too many little boys to tend too!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

As far as Catechesis goes, here is my understanding: the historical narratives should actually have faces of some sort (whether just painted on with a black marker or more like the Fontannini pieces) - and should be in 3D - to establish that these things happened in real time, in an actual place. The children should be able to identify who is who in this case. I love the materials at Worship Woodworks, but if I buy any of them, I will likely paint faces on the historical pieces.

The parables should be 2D and NOT have faces because of the underlying reality present in each parable - the people, places, animals represent something different - and the lack of a face allows the child to put their perceived reality onto the material. Ok, that's poorly phrased, but perhaps it helps a bit?

I have a few Fontannini pieces for historical narratives, with a couple of nativity sets and a few model-magic homemade pieces and just used cardboard for the parable pieces. Of course, around here we use cardboard, felt, and other similarly inexpensive materials for every Montessori work, replacing with wood only one or two things at a time.

I'd love to see what someone thinks too.

God Bless!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I was taught the same as CatholicMommy about the faces and personal look of figures in historical presentations vs. the more generic and 2-D appearance of the figures in parables.

The Worship Woodworks figures for the Last Supper are, I think, technically 2-D. Obviously, they have some depth, but not the "roundedness" that I think was meant by 3-D for the historical works.

Of course, on a practical level, I can understand that people get the Worship Woodworks figures. Otherwise, material making would be an overwhelming job. I wonder, though, whether they can be purchased unfinished so that they could be painted. That way different ones could be "dressed" differently, at least as to color. Or could simple cloth "outfits" and maybe be yarmulkes be glued on to them, as well as faces drawn?

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

What about making clothespin dolls?...they are not what they used to be when we are kids...they have heads that fit on top of a specially cut clothespin that is round and fits into a little stand.   Here is a link for the supplies...
Clothespin Doll supplies I got mine in Michaels Crafts.

Wouldn't it be nice to have each of the 12 apostles for the Last Supper carrying a symbol to show who they were? I did this once with shrinky dink plastic. I know that isn't the "official" presentation but!

I also know of some that used the Lauri Kids puzzle for the differently posed figures in conjunction with the Berryman book.

Just throwing some options out there...
HTH!
God Love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Ladies - thanks for those answers. As I said, I am completely ignorant and didn't know there was a difference between historical presentations and the presentation of the parables. I appreciate all the help for my understanding. Please, all comments and assisted are appreciated!!

And...

Donna Marie wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice to have each of the 12 apostles for the Last Supper carrying a symbol to show who they were? I did this once with shrinky dink plastic. I know that isn't the "official" presentation but!
]

Donna Marie -- you read my mind! I was thinking about doing something along the same lines after JennGM posted all the symbols for the apostles!

We're doing an Ark of the Covenent project right now and my boys are painting the clothespins for the court columns. The boys said the columns looked like Veggie Tale soldiers (we painted them metallic)!! Since the boys love using them so much, I was brainstorming for what else I could use them! And they cost so little!

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I need to preface this question with the fact I struggle with perfectionist tendencies.

I am not at all craft-oriented or artistic. I find the idea of creating figures or painting twelve figures with faces or symbols or making sure each parable or story has the "right" (not the best word, I'm sorry) dimensional type of figure completely daunting. Also the idea of having specific figures tied to each presentation (and the storage thereof) is very overwhelming.

I intended to use the Last Supper and Crucifixion figures for all different purposes if I could make them fit into other presentations. It may not be purist Montessori, but it may be the best I can do right now. Am I going to lose more than I gain by doing so?

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Maryan wrote:
I'm embarrassed to say that I look at the wooden items at Worship Woodworks recommended in the Catechesis Materials thread and think, "but there's no faces?"

+JMJ+
In the "Waldorf" school of thought they don't want faces A baby doll, for instance, would have a very simple face so when a child was pretending that the baby was crying they could imagination was crying, rather than the expression already their for them. KWIM?

It would be akin to a truck that makes noises vs. a truck that a child would have to make its own noises to play with.

It seems to me that wood toys have been popularized as of late do to the influences of "Waldorf" I am sure this is why you see many of these type toys very simply decorated.

Betsy

Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Very interesting Betsy, I can understand that explanation -- and I've never heard of the "Waldorf" School of thought -- as I said, I'm ignorant!

There are so many Montessori books (and I have 6 of the Clio series on my shelf), but I feel like I don't understand 90% of it!! So really -- I appreciate the explanations!

Is "Waldorf" different than other Montessori thought?

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

PDyer wrote:
I intended to use the Last Supper and Crucifixion figures for all different purposes if I could make them fit into other presentations. It may not be purist Montessori, but it may be the best I can do right now. Am I going to lose more than I gain by doing so?

You've got to do what works for your family and your budget and storage space. I'm trying to make/find only small figures to save on space and use as much as possible as many places as possible, at least in my home/daycare atrium area.

Just an idea that I'm throwing out there, using someone else's idea and adding a bit: I wonder if you could use the same figures, and just have 'different' clothes that they wear in each presentation, to show that they are different people? I've seen 'clothes' that are cloth or felt circles, with a hole cut in the center to fit over the head, and maybe a string or pipe cleaner to tie around the waist. Then again, I also like the idea of the clothespin dolls, with pipe cleaners or similar for arms - those could be inexpensive, and not take up too much storage room...

I don't think you'll lose anything, since you're doing this at home, rather than a large group setting where many children are working with various materials at the same time. Some of my figures just have simple painted faces (two black dots, small line for the nose, and a small smile), and (right now) no clothes. My Last Supper presentation uses one of the disciple figures as Mary for Pentecost - the kids don't mind - but it shows how simple they are made!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

One thing about the same figures doing "double duty" is that the children work with the materials on their own, it's not just having figures available when you give the presentation. So, if different children are choosing works that don't have their own figures, that could become a problem. Probably this is more likely to happen if you are in an Atrium group rather than with your own children in a home Atrium. But, still, if the children move from one work to another, they may become involved in changing the clothes on the figures when what you really want them to do is the *work*. Sometimes, though, the figure is who he/she is, without needing to change the clothes. For example,Mary is in a number of the works and she is who she is.

In practice this is probably not that big a deal. Also, you could start with fewer figures, expand the number of works you have by using the same figures for more than one, but all along work on making full sets for all the works.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

From a purely practical point of view, if the figures don't have faces, they can be used for more than one presentation throughout the year...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Maryan wrote:

Is "Waldorf" different than other Montessori thought?

Waldorf isn't related to Montessori.

Waldorf Schools were developed in Germany by Rudolf Steiner in late 1800's. Initially I was very interested in their philosophy, because the toys and art supplies that they promote are SOOOO beautiful, but after a lot of research (and people do have differing opinions than myself) I felt that they veered too much into New Age and other non-Catholic sort of beliefs so I have steered clear since. But, like I mentioned in my first post….from when I was looking into Waldorf school and now I see a lot of their influences in the toy making realm. And, honestly, it's probably a good thing. Simpler and more natural toys are what our kids need not more battery operated!

So I have probably just muddied the water with my post...sorry.

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Ladies -

Thanks for helping my understanding of these two presentations from both practical and theoretical points of view! I could tell from other threads that these simple wood figurines were appreciated, but I didn't get it! So thank you!

Still reading about it all here (great recommendations in other posts...) and probably will have more questions!

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

This may seem silly, but I have never made a clothespin doll. Do they stand up?

I really want figures that stand!

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

onemoretracy wrote:

Look at Doll Body, Large which is the last figure on this page.

I found some like these at Joann Fabrics, I think. I think I paid $1.49 for a package of two.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Patty, wow! thank you so much! I making a list tonight! .........

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

onemoretracy wrote:

Mine stand fine...I use the round clothespin doll stand. Its kinda their feet.

BTW...I have 1/2 of a brown pipe cleaner wrapped around the center of the body and looped at the ends for hands. Everyone handles these and they are still in good shape.

HTH!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Thank you so much everyone for your great ideas! We hit the craft store today and were able to make an entire Last Supper set this afternoon.

I just posted the pictures on my blog. I really appreciate being able to come here and share ideas and advice with all of you!

God Bless,

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

onemoretracy wrote:
Thank you so much everyone for your great ideas! We hit the craft store today and were able to make an entire Last Supper set this afternoon.

Tracy: They look SO GREAT!!!!! thanks for posting!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Tracy, those are beautiful!!!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version