Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Top 5 side dishes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote momwise

teachingmom wrote:
momwise wrote:
Carrot, Apple and Raisin slaw, Caramel Apple Salad

Ooh, these sound good. Will you share recipes, Gwen?

Here you go Irene, although I don't actually have the recipes anymore; I can tell you how to make it though. The slaw is just grated apples and carrots mixed with a handful of raisins and a spoon of mayonnaise. I don't peel anything.

For the Caramel Apple salad take a box of butterscotch instant pudding and add the juice from a can of chopped pineapple. Mix well and fold into about a half of a container of cool whip. Add chopped apples, the chopped pineapple and some peanuts and chill (if I forgot anything I'll let you know).

MaryM, I wish we could have mashed potatoes more often, I love them!! But I make terrible mashers. I even asked for help on this forum a while back but nothing seems to help. I bought a cheap mixer just to whip them and it broke . Any tips would be most welcome!

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

momwise wrote:
MaryM, I wish we could have mashed potatoes more often, I love them!! But I make terrible mashers. I even asked for help on this forum a while back but nothing seems to help. I bought a cheap mixer just to whip them and it broke . Any tips would be most welcome!

I don't know if this will help but I've put washed (not dried or peeled) red potatoes in the slow cooker w/ 1/4 Cup of water and let them cook all day. I then add butter, milk (buttermilk when I have it) & salt and mash away. (I do use a mixer but the potatoes are so soft I'm sure you could get away with an old fashioned potato masher.)

Our nature blog: All of Creation
Back to Top View MichelleM's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleM

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:

They don't need to be whipped, just mashed. I have broken away from my mother's method. She doesn't approve. I now use Russet potatoes, unpeeled and boil them until tender. I drain the water and use a potato ricer. I can insert a whole potato and it removes the skin and takes out potato. Remove the skin from the ricer and add the next potato. It goes really fast.

Meanwhile I replaced the pot back on the stove on the warm burner, add butter or margarine to start melting. Add the potatoes right to that pot. After ricing the potatoes I add liquid (chicken stock since we can't have milk), seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder) and mix together, usually with a whisk. They don't need to be overmixed.

I used to dread making potatoes because it seemed like such a production, peeling, cutting, etc.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Mashed , non- Russet/baking potatoe--some of the potato water with fat free half and half and plenty of butter. We are a mashed, not whipped potato family here.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

momwise wrote:

I'm with Jenn, don't use a mixer. We use a plain old masher. Now I have to say, I rarely mash them myself and when I do they aren't as good as my husband's. In his family his dad mashed the potatoes and he has always said he needs to do it here. He has just he the "perfect" mix of butter and milk to add to get the consistency he wants. It's funny because now our 15 year old ds is starting to mash them and doing a great job. They definitely need to be cooked long enough and that does take longer at this elevation, right. We'll have you over for a potato mashing demo one of these days!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

As a child, I needed mashed potatoes to be completely whipped with a mixer in order to eat them. I had a gag reflex if I came upon any lumps.    So for many years, I never made mashed potatoes because it was so much trouble.

I was pleasantly surprised to find in the past few years that I love mashed red skin potatoes. I don't have to peel them and just use a potato masher, adding butter, milk, sour cream, and garlic. The lumpy consistency doesn't bother me at all now, and thankfully, the kids like it too.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

lapazfarm wrote:

Can you describe this Greek seasoning? Sounds good.

This is the number #1 spice used here, Theresa. I buy Cavender's Greek Seasoning and sprinkle it on everything!

Side dishes are so boring , I've been skipping even making them lately so this thread is perfect!

*I make bag salad for nearly every meal. (Make?!? It involves tossing the bag on the table! )

*I'm really groovin' on the new frozen Steamfresh bags of veggies.    One less dish to deal with!

*Idaho mashed potato flakes (very quick, (very boring), Marianna is obsessed)

*Saffron Rice

*Corn Salad - can of corn, sliced green onions, splash of balsamic vinegar salad dressing (this was new last night, I really enjoyed it!)

Regarding the mashed (real) potatoes, I used to boil carrots and parsnips with the potatoes and lightly smash them together, very flavorful and yummy! Haven't done that in awhile though...

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Here is a favorite in my house:

Baked Parmesan Risotto:

Grated Parmesan Cheese (about 1/2 cup - I eyeball it)
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups milk
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup instant long grain rice
salt and pepper to taste

Oven at 375, spray baker with nonstick spray. Combine ingredients, pour into baker (I use PC deep dish round baker). Bake 35-40 minutes, or until edges are bubbly and all liquid absorbed. Add more cheese and parsley, if desired.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version