Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: How will you "decorate" for Lent? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

I know "decorate" probably isn't the most appropriate verb here...but how will your home reflect Lent? And then Easter? I would love to gather some "decorating" ideas that would make this season more real and powerful for our entire family.

Thanks!

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Martha--this is such a great question, and I can't wait to hear the answers.

I haven't really thought enough about it, but two things come to me. The first is that *sparse* might be a good decorating theme for Lent, decluttering and perhaps packing away some unnecessary items, giving the place a contemplative, serene appearance.

I am also toying with the idea of hanging a purple cloth over my front door wreath.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

alicegunther wrote:
I haven't really thought enough about it, but two things come to me. The first is that *sparse* might be a good decorating theme for Lent, decluttering and perhaps packing away some unnecessary items, giving the place a contemplative, serene appearance.

I am also toying with the idea of hanging a purple cloth over my front door wreath.

Alice the decluttering idea is really good...a physical manifestation of what we are attempting in the spiritual realm if you will.

I usually hang a bare grapevine wreath on my door and replace it on Easter Sunday with something beautiful and full of life.

For holy week we cover all statues, holy pictures and crucifixes with purple cloths - in much the same way as our parish does. It brings a sense of solemness and helps us prepare our hearts for the Resurrection.

I'm making a crown of thorns centerpiece for lent and we'll be removing the thorns and replacing them with flowers daily as we offer up our sacrifices. i bought the perfect silk flowers for this today. Dogwood blooms! isn't that just ideal!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 2:38am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

What I've been trying to do is pinpoint the things that really *make* my Christmas decorations.. and other than the Christmas tree.. the thing that really stands out is the bead garlands I add to the high places in my house.

For Advent, for counting down, we make a pink and purple paper chain for each child.. so the colors in my living room very much reflect the season once we've found hanging places for all of those.

So for Easter.. I have silk flowers I tuck into and around all the things on my high shelves.

For Lent, I haven't done anything yet. But I think I want something very simple to change the "look" of my living room.. I was thinking simple "scarves" of purple draped on the high shelves.. around the things that are there like I do the bead garlands.. I'm not sure I'm up for packing things up.. at least not this year.. I don't have anywhere easy to store them. But I think I can do the purple.. I have a length of purple fabric and I was thinking of cutting it into long strips for the "scarves".

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SharonO
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote SharonO

MicheleQ wrote:

I'm making a crown of thorns centerpiece for lent and we'll be removing the thorns and replacing them with flowers daily as we offer up our sacrifices. i bought the perfect silk flowers for this today. Dogwood blooms! isn't that just ideal!

Can someone post the directions for making the crown of thorns? Is this the one with toothpicks? I would like to do this with our family this year.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Sharon,
I make a batch of salt dough and separate it into three balls. I roll the balls into "ropes" and then braid them. Then, I make a circle of the braid, add the toothpicks and bake. I usually add the flowers when the "crown" is bare and use it as a centerpiece Easter Sunday. The bareness of it all seems to suit Holy Saturday (the day we make the floral wreath).

I have a sleeping baby on my lap, but I'll post a salt dough recipe later if you need it.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I made wall hangings out of purple upolstery material. It is heavy tapestry type, which I lined with gold ribbing. I simply purschased remnants from my local Joanne fabrics. I made 2, I attach them to the wall, hang a grapevine wreath in the middle(plain) to mimick crown of thorns, and below I hang the 5 sorrowful mysteries. The wall becomes of place of meditation. I cover the pictures and statues with purple cloth during holy week.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Elizabeth wrote:
Sharon,
I make a batch of salt dough and separate it into three balls. I roll the balls into "ropes" and then braid them. Then, I make a circle of the braid, add the toothpicks and bake. I usually add the flowers when the "crown" is bare and use it as a centerpiece Easter Sunday. The bareness of it all seems to suit Holy Saturday (the day we make the floral wreath).

I have a sleeping baby on my lap, but I'll post a salt dough recipe later if you need it.

Elizabeth:

Question - do your kids pull the tooth picks out during Lent as they make lenten sacrifices during Lent? We always have had trouble getting the toothpicks out. How do you handle this?

Maria

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I use a grapevine wreath for the crown and toothpicks (rounded not flat)for the thorns. I wedge them between the branches and they stay in well but they are also easy to remove. Ours will be the Easter Sunday dinner centerpiece as well. I'm also working on a reversible table runner. Purple on one side, white and gold on the other. The crown will sit on to of it.

I'll post a picture on my blog this week.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Thats a good idea Michele easier than the salt dough!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Also, I break the toothpicks in half and soak them in strong coffee to make them dark to match the wreath. They look more like thorns broken off that way but it may be more work than someone wants to do. Though it really doesn't take long and if you use a grapevine wreath that saves you a step right there.

We will also keep a small glass dish in the center of the wreath for the thorns we take out. (Only at mealtimes and then I put it out of reach of little ones because it's a chocking hazard).

I haven't decided yet if we will add the flowers as we take out thorns or wait until Easter morning. I do like the idea of the wreath being bare, especially as we approach holy week.

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

I will be doing the same kind of wreath as Michele. I also have a purple table cloth (I have 2 so I can wash them and still have one on the table) with matching napkins that we use for our meals. Just having the dinner table draped in purple is a reminder. We often use tablecloths to celebrate the Liturgical year.

I like Michele's idea for the front door so I will probably being doing that also. Thanks Michele.

God bless,

gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! It's hard to choose which ones I want to use this year. I really like the idea of the crown of thorns and using a purple tablecloth, but I'm thinking of putting the crown of thorns on a shallow
pan(?) filled with sand to symbolize the desert with a votive candle or two.
Also, last year I downloaded some pictures of the Stations of the Cross, which I hope to hang up on Fridays so we can pray the Stations together.
Does anyone know a good resource for praying the Stations with children?

Grace (wife of Jim, mom to Nick-17 (today!), Mary-13, Sam-8, Paul-5, and Patrick-5)

Back to Top View gracie4309's Profile Search for other posts by gracie4309 Visit gracie4309's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

gracie4309 wrote:
Does anyone know a good resource for praying the Stations with children?

We use these images, genuflecting in front of each one as we pray, together with a variety of Stations of the Cross booklets, including Children's Stations of the Cross, The Stations of the Cross by Father Lovasik, and Stations of the Cross for Children. I recently found this site and thought it looked interesting.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

MicheleQ wrote:
Also, I break the toothpicks in half and soak them in strong coffee to make them dark to match the wreath.

Our version is similar -- grapevine wreath and flat toothpicks, although I dyed our toothpicks purple.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

gracie4309 wrote:
I'm thinking of putting the crown of thorns on a shallow pan(?) filled with sand to symbolize the desert with a votive candle or two.
Grace (wife of Jim, mom to Nick-17 (today!), Mary-13, Sam-8, Paul-5, and Patrick-5)

Oooh! I really like this idea! Thanks.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

When a local church closed we got their HUGE wooden cross that has its own stand. I hang a crown of thorns on the center beam. It sits by itself in a corner of our living room where our Christmas tree use to sit.

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Oh, I'd love to see a photo of that, Nicole! It sounds beautiful!

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

+JMJ+
I found some purple oil cloth fabric here. Oilcloth has a poly/cotton mesh backing that is waterproof and protected with a clear finish.

I am going to make a purple table cloth that is easy and care free. I doubt that you would need to hem the edges if you didn't feel like it.

I am not feeling too creative at the moment here but I am enjoying everyone else’s suggestion.

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MicheleQ wrote:
I use a grapevine wreath for the crown and toothpicks (rounded not flat)for the thorns. I wedge them between the branches and they stay in well but they are also easy to remove.

I remember you posting about this last year. I really like the idea of the gravevine wreath over the salt dough crown. I think we'll do this as well.

gracie4309 wrote:

...but I'm thinking of putting the crown of thorns on a shallow pan(?) filled with sand to symbolize the desert with a votive candle or two.

And I like the sand in the centerpiece with candles idea, Grace. I was thinking sand, but not sure what to do with it. Maybe one of those flat glass candle plates with a small lip would be good. I think it would look nice.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version