Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: The Feast of Corpus Christi Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 24 2005 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

This coming Sunday, as you know, is the Feast of Corpus Christi. Gwen mentioned that we should share ideas. So, what are all you brilliant women planning on doing?

Our parish is having a special Mass and Corpus Christi procession. My daughter Clair and the other First Communicants will wear their Communion outfits, and Clair has been asked to bring up the gifts during the Mass. Needless to say, she is very excited.

This week, I'll be using some of the ideas and prayers from the excellent site, Catholic Culture.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2005 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

We have adoration after our noon Mass until the evening Mass at 8 PM. We plan to go as a family for some prayer time. My ds loves to adoration for about 5 minutes. Then he always wonders when God is going to bring his 2 brothers and sister he is praying for. He usually wants us to look under the altar for them!!!
I am going to check out Catholic Culture now!
Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2005 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Marybeth wrote:

I am going to check out Catholic Culture now!
Marybeth

I am so glad, because I was thinking of you as I browsed the site today. You asked about picture books on the seasons in the picture books forum, and Catholic Culture has a beautiful section showing seasonal family activities for the Liturgical Year. Go to family activities to find it. The page shows a stunningly beautiful picture of Our Lady in the room with a praying family and then little thumbnail sketches of each season with links to some wonderful activities that will be sure to become tradition around here!

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2005 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I'm loving the resources that are being posted in this forum for the feasts. In looking over Alice's link, I think I'll try to get it together enough to make the small altar with chalic and ciborium and a cross. Our ds will be receiving a small Mass kit for his birthday on Mon., so maybe we'll have to give it to him a couple of days early.

Our children will get to be in their first Corpus Christi procession. Our new parish is having a full, all out procession with a gob of servers and 3 altars. We will be stopping at each decorated altar and processing around the neighborhood.

I also enjoy checking the Open Wednesdaysite almost every week to help prepare for Sunday's readings. She has several ideas for Corpus Christi Sunday as well as a printable sheet with small illustrations. On Saturday evening we'll pray the litany of the Precious Blood. Another prayer idea is to pray the scriptural Rosary for the 5th Luminous mystery.

God bless,
Gwen in Denver
Back to Top View momwise's Profile Search for other posts by momwise

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2005 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

momwise wrote:
Our new parish is having a full, all out procession with a gob of servers and 3 altars.

Did I say that?
I meant "gobs of servers."

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2005 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

momwise wrote:
Our children will get to be in their first Corpus Christi procession. Our new parish is having a full, all out procession with a gob of servers and 3 altars. We will be stopping at each decorated altar and processing around the neighborhood.

This sounds incredible. Isn't it wonderful that more parishes seem to be doing this? I do not remember a single Corpus Christi procession in all my years growing up, but now several people I have spoken to say that their parishes are having this. Talk about returning to our Catholic roots.

I am a bit concerned about this weekend though. It is supposed to rain in torrents. I hope our procession won't be limited because of it.

Cottage Blessings

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2005 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Please take a look at this link to a site promoting Children's Holy Hours.

Cottage Blessings

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2005 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote momwise

alicegunther wrote:
Please take a look at this link to a site promoting Children's Holy Hours.

Oh my gosh Alice, this site is gorgeous!! The world-wide children't Holy Hour page gave me goosebumps. I'm posting this in a brand new thread in the hopes that more people will be aware of it and promote it in their dioceses.

God bless,
Gwen in Denver

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2005 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

thanks so much for the ideas, gwen and alice!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2005 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Good idea, Gwen! Oh, and Stef, thanks so much for your gracious words, as always. You are a Sweetie.

By the way, I have one more source to add. Recently, I purchased a book called "Evening Prayerbook, Sunday Vespers, Liturgy of the Hours," published by Patmos. It is a lovely book providing a Liturgy of the Hours prayer service (for home use) for every Sunday of the Year. I have been trying to make Sunday more of a special day of prayer and reflection for all of us. The Liturgy of the Hours for this coming Sunday is a beautiful addition to any Corpus Christi celebration. The antiphon before the Canticle of Mary, for example:

How holy this feast in which Christ is our food; his passion is recalled; grace fills our hearts; and we receive a pledge of the glory to come, alleluia.

I love it!

Cottage Blessings

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 26 2005 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

momwise wrote:
[QUOTE=momwise] Our new parish is having a full, all out procession with a gob of servers and 3 altars.

Our parish is having four altars. I can't wait to see/participate in the celebration!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

alicegunther wrote:
Recently, I purchased a book called "Evening Prayerbook, Sunday Vespers, Liturgy of the Hours," published by Patmos. The Liturgy of the Hours for this coming Sunday is a beautiful addition to any Corpus Christi celebration.

Thank you again for the recommendation, Alice. This has been on my buy list for a long time. When I tried to find reviews months ago there was hardly anyone familiar with it. I'm glad you posted about it -- it's too late for me to have it shipped by this Sunday but now's as good a time as any to order it!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2005 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Alice,

How do find all these wonderful books? I am keeping a running list of all your recommendations. Thanks for the tip on the Catholic Culture website. I could spend hours there reading and learning.
God bless,

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2005 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Marybeth wrote:
Alice,

How do find all these wonderful books?

I'm so glad you like them, Marybeth! Thanks so much for saying so. I guess I've just accumulated quite a few great Catholic children's books during my 11 years of motherhood. One thing that helps tremendously is that I live near what may be the best Catholic book, art, and religious items store in the country, Mariamante in Huntington, NY (Mariamante means "lover of Mary"). I never leave the store without a significant lightening of my pockets, but it is always worth it. Unfortunately, Mariamante does not have a website, but if you ever travel to New York, I will be sure to take you there!

Cottage Blessings

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 27 2005 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I just found this recipe at zarela.com:

ENSALADA DE CORPUS CHRISTI - (Corpus Christi Salad)

The feast of Corpus Christi falls on a Thursday between May 20th and June 20th. In the city of Puebla I encountered a beautiful, unusual salad served during the fiesta with an assortment of fruits and vegetables that are then at their peak. Vendors were selling it in the streets, in little paper cones. Everything ripens at a different time here, but you may be able to come close to the original in late summer.
Ingredients:

1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 medium-small zucchini, finely diced
1 small cucumber, finely diced
1 pear (preferably Comice), peeled and finely diced
1 firm, sweet peach, peeled and finely diced
1 cup blueberries
Seeds of 1 pomegranate
2 small avocados, peeled and finely diced
Juice of 3 limes
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Directions:

In large bowl, combine all the diced fruits and vegetables and toss with lime juice and salt to taste.

Serve at once.
Serves 6 - 8.

mom to five

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2005 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Thank you for the great ideas. Today we made the craft of the Chalice and Host from Open Wednesday and talked about the commentary. I learned things.
For my ds5 we used kite and contact paper to make the Chalice. I cut an outline of dark construction paper and set it on the contact paper inside a constrution paper frame. Ds5 filled the empty spaces with the kite paper and we hung it in the window. It looks really nice.

Thank you so much Alice and all you other wise woman, I have so much to learn about our wonderful faith.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2005 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Thanks, Mary Chris! Your craft sounds wonderful. Years ago, we had a kitemaking kit, and I was amazed at how vibrant and sturdy kite paper is. It is much nicer than tissue paper for making suncatchers and probably less susceptible to fading as well. How lovely your chalice must look in the window.

I wrote a short review of "Evening Prayerbook, Sunday Vespers" two nights ago, but, somehow or other, managed to exit the reply box and lose it before hitting "post reply." This is my second attempt.

The purpose of "Evening Prayerbook" is defined in the first paragaph of the foreward by Wayne Hepler:

"Rediscovery of the 'Value of Sunday' and the promotion of the Liturgy of the Hours as 'the prayer of the whole people of God' are two pastoral over the past few years of his pontificate. It is the purpose of this book to lend practical support to the Holy Father in the implementation of these initiatives in order that the Church might be renewed in her mission to make the face of Jesus Christ 'shine before the generations of the new millennium.'"

I purchased my copy a few days after the death of Pope John Paul II, partially because we had come across his letter, Dies Domini, On Keeping the Lord's Day Holy, during our papal study. About a year ago, the owner of Mariamante (my favorite religious book store) had recommended "Evening Prayerbook" to me, but I held off because of the $24.95 price. Reading Pope John Paul II's words, "the Liturgy of the Hours . . . is warmly recommended to lay people," reminded me to seek it out again. The book in sturdy soft-cover with attractively decorated pages, and while there are no illustrations, each two page weekly layout has fancy borders, reminiscent of an illuminated manuscript, along with at least one timely religious symbol. The pages for the Feast of Corpus Christi, for example, feature a Host at the top. The prayers for this week include:

Introductory Rite
Hymn
Psalmody
Reading
Responsory
Canticle of Mary
Petitions
Prayer
Closing Rite or Dismissal

All in all, it takes about 45 minutes or so to say these prayers aloud with the family, although I have never actually timed it. Because there are many responses, it would make sense to photocopy or type the pages to give out to everyone. Otherwise, it becomes difficult for large families to crowd around the book. The only other drawback is that most of the hymns are unfamiliar and therefore impossible to sing. Still, there is a very good list of hymn references in the back if you are inclined to research the music.

A nice additional feature is the "Guide to Using the Book of Christian Prayer" in the appendix. It will help anyone who wants to incorporate the Liturgy of the Hours in daily prayer as well as Sundays. This is something I would love to do in the future.

The book has really made a wonderful addition to our family prayerlife, and I recommend it, especially to parents whose children are about 7 or 8 and up. My older three (ages 11, 9, and 7) are able to read and follow along, and my 5 year old is the quiet, reserved type who does not mind listening quietly. Naturally, the 1 and 3 year old have a hard time sitting through our holy hour, so we usually say evening prayers after they have gone to sleep for the night.

Oh, and before I sign off, one more Corpus Christi idea. Our family is going to confession this afternoon in preparation for tomorrow's feast!

Cottage Blessings

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2005 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Alice,

What makes this Evening Prayerbook different from having the whole Liturgy of the Hours, if you know how to do it?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2005 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My husband just told me about a tradition in a church in Pittsburgh for the feast of Corpus Christi -- sawdust paintings. This is from Hispanic/European traditions. In some places the medium is flowers. Of course I'm late with this information, but what a great idea for another project with the kids!

Sawdust Carpets This site covers the whole tradition from Holy Martyrs Church outside of Pittsburgh.

Corpus Christi in Spain

Brazilian

Tuscany No pictures.

Just a smattering of info, lots more out there on the web.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2005 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

jenngm67 wrote:
Alice,

What makes this Evening Prayerbook different from having the whole Liturgy of the Hours, if you know how to do it?

The Evening Prayerbook is meant for people who are new to the Liturgy of the Hours. It begins with a clear and user-friendly tutorial called, "How to Use this Book." Then it leads to the faithful into the habit of praying the Liturgy of the Hours just once a week, making it a great introduction for laypeople, especially busy families, who might have a hard time completing the entire prayer. My guess is this gentle introduction would probably lead people to the whole Liturgy of the Hours eventually, because it is easy to see how important and beautiful this prayer is.

The bottom line answer: If you already have the whole Liturgy of the Hours, you do not need to purchase this book as well.

Cottage Blessings

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version