Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Timelines Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

I just posted a link to our wall timeline here in response to Theresa's "Where to Start?" question.

Does anyone else have a wall timeline they'd like to post or link to?

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

Karen, I tried to leave a message on your blog thanking you but blogger never takes my messages?! Pictures are so helpful- thanks for sharing!

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Hi, Nicole --

Thanks! I'm glad it helped a bit.

Blogger can be so temperamental! If you click on the "Anonymous" option to leave a comment (and then you can just sign your name in the body of the message) that *usually* works. But, probably not always.

Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Karen, that is an awesome timeline. I love it! I don't have a wall big enough to run a timeline in the other part of the house and so we hadn't been doing it but I really see the value of how it helps them to put history into perspective. I like how yours is laid out and works for your space.

Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Karen, I tried to leave a message to but I couldn't see the verification code.

also... how much space did allow between years and do you feel it was enough and how far apart did you span your years...

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Theresa in MN wrote:

also... how much space did allow between years and do you feel it was enough and how far apart did you span your years...

I was just going to ask this. We have a very long hallway in which I have wanted to hang a timeline since we've moved in. I was going to use the easel paper that comes in a roll (because we have some, basically.) But I fall down at the math part of it all.    Any suggestions?

I was thinking that I might avoid the math problem by creating a Book of Centuries, but I'm still not sure how to organize it.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Theresa in MN wrote:
how much space did allow between years and do you feel it was enough and how far apart did you span your years...

We started the timeline the first year we homeschooled, and it was just the bottom row -- we started with the 1700s and I marked ten year increments. We started with that because we wanted to mark all of the American Girls (from Felicity on) and all of the Little House people. (I almost said "characters" ... can you tell we live in books here?)

With those ten year increments, we can't always cram as many photos on the timeline as we'd like. So, we also did a Book of Centuries. I've found that we've moved back and forth between the two, and we've neglected the Book of Centuries the last couple of years, in favor of the timeline. Ideally, I'd like to be keeping both up simultaneously.

As we added rows/years to the timeline, I stayed with the ten year increments within each century, going back to about 1100. From the birth of Christ to 1100 A.D., I have 100 year increments marked, and from 5,000 B.C. to the birth of Christ, I marked off 1,000 years at a time.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Angel wrote:

I was just going to ask this. We have a very long hallway in which I have wanted to hang a timeline since we've moved in. I was going to use the easel paper that comes in a roll (because we have some, basically.) But I fall down at the math part of it all.    Any suggestions?

Since ours just sort of evolved over the years, I have to confess that I didn't put that much thought into it before hand. Maybe that was a good thing! I didn't stress over the fact that I marked it differently in different places. As I just wrote to Theresa, the top row is divided first by 1000 year increments, then by 100 year increments. Then, from about 1100 A.D. on, I started the ten year increments.

I think it has worked for us because, even though it's a visual, conceptually we think of ancient history in bigger, less detailed chunks. Does that make sense? Maybe a true math person would shudder at my logic.

I also think that you could do a timeline, and then, as you want to get more detailed, fill in pages of a Book of Centuries as you move along, rather than feeling that your book of centuries has to be perfectly laid out in advance.

For example, even if your timeline is in ten year increments, you could create a ten year period in a Book of Centuries that has lots of details for every one of those ten years. Just because you don't cover every single year in one century doesn't mean you can't do so in parts of another century. You'll have more detail in areas you study in more depth, and that's okay.

Don't get too caught up in it being perfect -- ours is far from perfect. And, if we want to, we can always redo parts of it, expand it ... whatever. It doesn't have to be set in stone!

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

Does anyone have more pictures to share?

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Has anyone done a timeline in a notebook that folds out?

I like the idea one on the wall and visible all the time but I have heard of them as pull outs before too and thought maybe someone here could share pictures or pros/cons to this type of timeline.

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Karen,

I have been planning to post about our History timeline, but haven't done it yet. Now I have a good reason to do it! In short, we have one wall in our basement that is covered with cork. We did not put this up ourselves :-) The previous owners were great dart players! We didn't even have children when we moved in and had never considered homeschooling. Does God have a sense of humor or what! I have covered the wall with bulletin board paper and cut strips of colored paper (from those sentence strips you can buy at teacher's supply stores)to form the line. I also added numbers for the centuries from 4000 BC to 2100 AD. (I couldn't fit anything before) We have found color photos of historical figures online and pasted them to the timeline. The girls also have BOCs and I must admit I have fallen behind in putting up wall figures as they added little figures to their individual books. As a result, the wall looks a bit bare. It is starting to fill up, though. I hope this is helpful, I will try to post on this in the next day or two.

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Looking forward to seeing it Marjorie.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Karen E. wrote:

Don't get too caught up in it being perfect -- ours is far from perfect. And, if we want to, we can always redo parts of it, expand it ... whatever. It doesn't have to be set in stone!

Yes, I think this is what my hang-up is: perfectionism. And just when I think I'm recovering!

I'll have to think about this. Right now we're doing the Civil War. I have a feeling that the kids are being sort of overwhelmed by names and Acts, even if we are using living books to study it. I think the kids would probably find a timeline more helpful because they could see it all the time, and the babies couldn't misplace it. Of course the hallway would have to be cleaned up .

Marjorie, I would love to see your timeline, too!

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Hi, Ladies,

I have a post on our timeline with a few pictures . One of the timeline and another of our timeline cards. Hope it is helpful to someone :-)

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Marjorie,
I just left a note on your blog. I LOVE your timeline. We should all be so blessed as to have floor to ceiling corkboard!

Theresa, we've never done the fold-out variation, but I think it sounds like an excellent idea. You could do separate fold outs for whatever chunks of time you wanted to use.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Marjorie, I love your timeline! I want a cork wall now, lol.      We colored all of the timeline figures that came with our curriculum today (that we have been skipping up until this point).

My dh will be home on Wednesday and I'm going to ask his opinion as to where we could put it. If we are going to do a wall one I want it in a room that is highly visible to our schooling which would be the dining room but I don't have lots of wall space either.

Thank you so much to both of you for sharing examples of your timelines.

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote Donna

humanaevitae wrote:
Does anyone have more pictures to share?

Here are some from our Book of Centuries.

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

I love your books, Donna. Your kids have done a great job. You've inspired me to resurrect our books ....

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Donna, your Century books are great!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

All this great talk of timelines and Book of Centuries has fired me up again. Thanks. We had a very basic wall timeline with the older boys that never really developed much. And I have so wanted to start a Book of Centuries but not actaully done it. I've just spent the last hour printing out some templates to get started! So are so going to do it this time!

Marjorie, Karen, and Donna your materials are fabulous looking.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version