Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: It is what it is..... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

If you scroll down on this post you can get a really lovely view of our living room.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Hahahaha. I can't even WALK in dd's room. Since dh is off eating excellent Italian pasta , she has moved in with me for the week...a good thing because otherwise she would be sleeping on the hearth tiles. They're relatively clear and no one tracked melted snow on them today.

The school table is now so cluttered I can't really use it for school...sigh. Dh is only home these days long enough for a family Mass/meal day and then he's off again...and any spare time we have for chores seems to evaporate into doing dh's laundry, finding things he needs (like the European cell phone), etc. I have a good routine for doing errands, and my son is a good help with the trash, recycling, dishes, etc., but still!

And my male cat has taken to pottying by our front door. I think some other male cat must have sprayed outside...and only my Pooh Bear can smell it...and he is retaliating.    More laundry (he goes on the towel I have by the door because we don't have weather stripping because we put down laminate flooring and dh never got around to getting new weather stripping that fits over our flooring...)!!!

I really like this thread. I still feel messier than all of you put together, but my feet of clay weigh a couple of tons less than they did.

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

After not seeing the floor of two bedrooms for nearly week, we ditched school this afternoon to clean them. My daughter ran by me with some white "stuff" in her hand. "What is that?!" It was styrofoam from a cheapo cooler the little girls had torn to shreds in their room...I don't know when.
And my laundry "situation" will soon be a national emergency.

Ahh, feeling so much better .
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

It is a good thing that I do not have a blog because the clutter in this house is incredible. A Lenten project sounds great, but I am not sure it would even begin to touch what we have stored up in this house for the past 10 years!

And Michele, I can relate to living in an older home. Our house was built in 1925. So combine that with our clutter and you have ... clutter. It is, however, inspiring to know that I am not the only one fights this battle. This is a good thread.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

One word. Laundry.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Now I know why I took this picture last week.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Molly

I have thought about this concept alot. although I realise the reasoning behind 'showing our best face' on blogs etc it is so refreshing to read the 'true picture'. For this reason I was going to post the REAL story of my first day back on my blog to encourage others that it is not all a 'bed of roses'

But like everything I have about 20 posts in my head to blog about and I haven't done so, I haven't blogged for a month or so Then you think oh that one isn't so relevant anymore its old, too late

So to make all you ladies realise the truth here goes, I'll paint you the picture of our first day back. By the end of the day I could look back and laugh...well a little...maybe.

First day back after six weeks happened here a couple of weeks ago. I had polsihed up the routine, planned the day, whipped up the yearly overview and was set. Sort off, as much as I ever get anyway.

After hsing all these years (my oldest is 13) I'm reasonably realistic and knew that not all would be accomplished first day back, in fact as dd says by the second week I would be changing the routine (so true I'm overhauling big time already )We haven't managed to 'complete' a day yet and yet it was with reasonable expectations that I set out with, oh well..

Anyhow first day we were to start prayers by 8am, well they managed to be said by 8.30am, during prayers one ds7 was annoying the others sitting on his brothers etc. Ds 9 started steaming. We finished and the two ended in a massive fight which culminated in the fists flashing, I so calmly dealt with the situation. I lie I lost it, I yelled, I sent one to a room whilst I dealt with the other, I wasn't entirely cool whilst I discipled them Well that put a pall on the rest of the morning, as I'm sure you can imagine. (I'm sure I'm not the only imperfect mother with undisciplined boys am I? )

We managed to limp along however and achieve language arts but the dramas were not yet over. Ds9 is NOT a quiet worker, he has to talk and talk loud and talk nonsense whilst everyone else tries to work around his behaviour. Eventually someone gets annoyed and throws an eraser at him, then he retaliates. Or the boys start scribbling on someone else's page and then of course it is reciprecated and then a fight ensuses. Meanwhile I start to get very stressed, trying to keep my cool. Which I do magnificently So of course all this happened first day back, why do they do it. I start fantasing about waving them off on the bus, sounds easy. Just I and the girls

We move onto maths and then ds9 (him again, he is not having a good day) eruptes into, "why does he have to do so much writing, he has to do 10 different types of writing and C and D never had too when they were his age..."Get the picture I explain that 10 is an exaggeration, he is doing copywork, spelling, dictation and composition so that adds up to four, and I'm making him do it so he will be a stronger writer/speller than the older dc, Dd eruptes forth and bursts into tears because I'm saying she is no good at spelling etc
So then I placate dd and say that if she had let me finish I was trying to say it is my fault I should have been a better teacher and been more disciplined and now they have to work harder because of me. Mea Culpa, mea culpa. Everyone is happier now it is all mum's fault.

We stagger onto catechism which is always enjoyable as we have such interesting discussions and the dc really open up their hearts, ah, this is why I hs I remember now.

By ancient history I gave up, they and I were exhausted. Ancient Greece and craft can be accomplished another day. (two weeks later I think we've done them twice or is it once)

Well now two weeks later I can laugh and although you all write glowing blogs I know that they are written to boast yourselves up, why focus on the negative too often, but I do find the glimpses of days like mine refreshing at times too.

Edited: Sorry this may sound like a whinge and you wanted it to be humorous, I am at the point where I can laugh "such is life" and do see it as humorous really, otherwise I couldn't survive but I went back to delete the post and the form won't let me, so sorry you're stuck with me

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here's my mudroom from last year. It looks pretty much the same now--no need for another picture.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Suzanne that is hilarious    The bottle of Brandy cracks me up..........
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Carole N. wrote:
It is a good thing that I do not have a blog because the clutter in this house is incredible.

That is me!! Got this new wonderful digital camera for Christmas and too embarrassed to start a blog. My house is just falling apart now that I am going to bed earlier as instructed by my doctor. I am in a better mood and have a tad more energy but the kitchen floor(yuck) and mudroom-in which the washing machine overflowed and leaked to the basement this am--are just driving me CRAZY!! But I cannot get to them for numerous reasons. This is fun though, thank you all for sharing the real life in your homes
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

ROFLOL - Suzanne! Your picture is too funny.

Now I'm wondering if I should go mess up a room so I can join you? No... actually I could get a shot of my van. The van is a completely different story!!

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I only have two dc home this year, the little ones, but I still can't seem to get a handle on the house.

Here is my example.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Oh boy! How I wish I had a blog now! This is one area I can certainly compete in! But you will have to take my word for it.

Of course, Tammy, Ruth and Kathy can all testify on my behalf.

I will say, though, that with the passing of time, I have learned to relax a little. Not that I like the mess any better, but I will not kill myself (or my kids!) trying to present my home as something it just isn't at this stage of our lives. Having company used to mean misery and tears, now we just lock a couple of bedroom doors and it's all good!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Sad but true......we had a priest friend over for dinner a couple of weeks ago, and as I was mopping the foor I thought to myself.....huh....this is the first time I mopped this new floor! New being 3 months!
My mother is coming from California in a couple of weeks to celebrate my big 40, and I am desperatly trying to pull it together over here. Safe to say I am organizationally challenged! To bad all you organizers could'nt bilocate and whip this house in order prior to my mothers arrival, I promise I would keep the livestock outside
BTW Alice where are you, can you post the chicken???
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

teachingmyown wrote:
Having company used to mean misery and tears, now we just lock a couple of bedroom doors and it's all good!

kjohnson wrote:
Well, if I could get off of bed rest long enough, I'm sure that I would find all sorts of interesting things under our furniture. Ignorance is bliss!   

MicheleQ wrote:
LOL ...now we'll all be trying to impress one another with our messes!
!

You ladies are too funny! And, Molly, this thread is so FUN!

As I was reading this, I decided to take a snapshot of what was being constructed behind my computer chair. This space behind the couch and behind where I work (and play) is the "play area". Always was, always has been. I can't count the times I've had to stop what I was doing to get on the floor and play. But all work and no play makes Jane a dull girl. Right?

Edited: goofy me! I forgot the picture.

Oh, and the toys usually get shoveled under the table and a tablecloth is thrown on top when company comes.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

In addition to "regular" mess, we heat with wood. Everything gets covered in ash. We put up our Christmas tree in the morning and by the first evening the ornaments had a thin coat of ash. I dusted them. The second and third nights I took to blowing on them. By the fourth night I gave up.

I had some ladies over last Friday night. They exclaimed over how cozy a woodstove is. I thought, "Yeah, just don't sit in one place for too long or I will have to dust you before you leave."

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Carole N. wrote:

And Michele, I can relate to living in an older home. Our house was built in 1925. So combine that with our clutter and you have ... clutter. It is, however, inspiring to know that I am not the only one fights this battle. This is a good thread.

Honestly I hate clutter (not that we don't have any but I do work to keep it under control because it bugs me) but my house is in serious need of cosmetics. Like I said we're working on it but it's slow. I started a new blog a few weeks ago to chronicle our room by room redo. There's not much on it yet but I thought it would be fun to see the before and afters and maybe it'll keep me motivated. We'll see.

Suggestions and ideas (especially thrifty ones!) are welcome.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Theresa, you could just adopt a messy room or two at my place. My van is pretty horrific, too. No big items, but lots of little bits of junk... I shoveled out our Dodge Stratus this weekend so we could take dh to the airport...the van is kind of ill...I removed what I think was several tons of papers, mail, etc. from the back seat. Then dh stowed all of our coats in the trunk so we'd fit in the Stratus (ds is 6 feet tall now)...we barely fit, but that's OK.

You should all be very glad we're trying to recover from a computer crash and I can't easily upload photos right now.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Michelle, I love your new blog! I will be checking back. I love the vanity above the sink!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

molly wrote:
I have had the opportunity to talk and pm with various women on this board, who sometimes feel over whelmed by all they cannot measure up to. For example, so many of you have wonderful blogs, full of beautiful pictures, quotes, scripture etc.

I have friends who have expressed similar thoughts. As much as the forums and blogs can be a source of tremendous inspiration and encouragement they can also be a source of discouragement and feelings of inadequacy. I have tried to encourage people by saying much of what has been pointed out - people mostly share only the positive and the put-together. When I complained to a friend how cluttered my house always is - she said that the pictures on the blog looked clutter-free - my dh pipes in with "It's very easy to take staged pictures!" .   

My house is rarely tidy - usually only really picked up when company is coming. Why can't it stay that way??? Even by the time company leaves it has started its downward spiral.   

A dear friend says the greatest disservice women do for each other is cleaning their homes before someone comes over. It can very easily perpetuate that perfect house myth. It really does help to see that people's houses look lived in and that we all face this same home keeping challenges. There are only a few people in our circle that I can actually do that with though as much as I wish it otherwise.

I didn't participate in the "Elegant Simplicity" fairs last year highlighting area of our homes. I told somebody I would participate when there was a "Cluttered Disorder" Fair (Should I host? ). I am loving everyone's descriptions of real life - and the reality of it is that everyone's description of a "mess" is not going to be the same. Ruth, dear, your "messy" kitchen would be "clean" here!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version