Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Beethoven Adagios - February Composer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I thought for the short month of February, we might pick up on an interesting quote from last month.

Elgar’s Enigma Variations reflect in music different people in Elgar’s life.

"The ninth [Enigma Variation] shows the composer at his best; it is the result of a long summer evening's talk, Elgar tells us, when 'my friend grew eloquent -- as only he could -- on the grandeur of Beethoven and especially of his slow movements."

McKinney, Howard D. and Anderson, W.R.
Discovering Music (New York: American Book Company, 1949), 223.

I recently found out that "adagio" means slow movement   An easy way to conduct this study is to simply pick up some Beethoven CDs and highlight the “adagios” or just listen and when a slow part comes up say, “do you think Elgar was influenced by this piece?” (It doesn’t matter if he was or wasn’t.)

Wikepedia says “The first eight bars represent the beginning of Beethoven's Eighth Sonata (Pathetique).” Let’s be sure to include that one.

There is a classical music series which highlights adagios and they do offer Beethoven’s Adagios. It does include the Pathetique piano sonata. I’ve seen this series in many libraries.Find in a library

Another option, in case you have the Music Masters series, is to listen to the Beethoven CD with new ears. Listen for the slow movements. (Check the dust jacket for the name of the piece.)

If you like classical music videos, Andre Previn's Sounds Magnificent The Story of the Symphony has a Beethoven edition. I watched this awhile ago and I liked it. I can't remember if it is totally kid friendly. (Probably is)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Very nice sequel to last month's study, Helen. Thank you!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MLoustalot
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 02 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote MLoustalot

Not pertaining specifically to Beethoven's Adagios, but generally about Beethoven, which we coincidentally are also studying this month of February, I've found this website lots of fun. .

http://www.classicsforkids.com/shows/showview.asp?ID=20

If this link doesn't take you to the Beethoven page, just go to www.classicsforkids.com and click on Past Shows and scroll down to Beethoven. .

God Bless,
Melinda in Se Texas
Back to Top View MLoustalot's Profile Search for other posts by MLoustalot

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version