Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Writings of St. John Bosco?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

As we read our little saints stories about St. John Bosco today, it occurred to me that I should know more about this saint (having taught mostly boys for 9 years in Catholic school and now am teaching my own BOYS).

Does anyone know if he wrote anything about teaching boys? Are any of his writings readily available??

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Your question reminded that I wanted to read this book

Reason, REligion, Kindness, which is not available (maybe try bookfinder.com), but it's based on his education philosophy.

But in looking for the book I found this great list of Recommended Reading for Educators.

Online St. John Bosco

This cd-rom if still available?

Forty Dreams of St. John Bosco

There were two other biographies by John Bosco on Amazon, but also a book published in 1984 called "Spiritual Writings of St. John Bosco" that looks good, but OOP.

It seems there should be more writings out there...

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

JennGMThis cd-rom if still available?

[/QUOTE wrote:

I looked into getting this CD rom. I even emailed a Salesian father in Italy. I emailed Salesians in this country looking for St.

I looked into getting this CD rom. I even emailed a Salesian father in Italy. I emailed Salesians in this country looking for St. John's work. Very few of his works are in print. The salesians told me that in their houses, they do have St. JOhn's works in some kind of big multi volumed work. (Sort of a reference work.)

The best book I've read (and I quote from it frequently) is Edna Phelan's Don Bosco a Spiritual Portrait. I fouund it on the shelf of the religious ed department in my parish.

Phelan says Don Bosco stayed up nights to write good church history and Italian history books for his boys. He has books on the first popes and on some saints.
What a gold mine if we could get our hands on that.

Tan does have a biography of St. Joseph Cafasso written by John Bosco.There is also St. Dominic Savio's story written by Don Bosco.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Thanks Jenn and Helen -- you've both inspired me more to read his writings/about him!

Jenn, one of your links lead me to:

http://www.salesians.org/lit.asp

Which has a snail mail ordering telephone number and the lady has RR&K -- which really sounds like a good jumping off point for me.

I wrote down all your references. I think he is going to be my focus this year -- he seems too fitting to what's going on in my life and I'm sure I could convince Dan to join me (with his team sports and school work, etc -- I'm sure he'd find motivation in Don Bosco's principles!)

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote KASB

I'm not sure, but I think this book Keys to the Hearts of Youth, by Paul P. Avallone, SDB. might be a reprint of Reason, Religion and Kindness.

I also have a copy of Enda Phelan's book ( found it after I read one of Helen's quotes ) on my nightstand. I'm going to move it to the top of my stack !

Blessings,
Kym
mom to 9 - 8 boys (24,14,10,9,7,4,3,17 mos.) and 1 girl(22)
Back to Top View KASB's Profile Search for other posts by KASB

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Helen wrote:

The best book I've read (and I quote from it frequently) is Edna Phelan's Don Bosco a Spiritual Portrait. I fouund it on the shelf of the religious ed department in my parish.

Helen,

Is Edna Phelan's book still in print? I've been enjoying the quotes on the Mary Vitamin.

I agree with MaryAn - Since he's the patron saint of educators, we all need to know him better! I've been reading "Forty Dreams" out loud after dinner each night. You know that time when the adults are done but the kids are still eating? It works out great since DH gets to hear it too.

Between reading his book & praying the novena to him ( due to the timely reminders from Loreto Cottage), I'm basking in the feastday .

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for the link, Maryan...I missed that, plain as day!

I taught briefly in a school that was run by Regnum Christi, and they took much of their education philosophy from John Bosco's writings.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Jenn --I don't know how I didn't know that you taught at a Regnum Christi school! I'd love to hear your opinions about his education philosophy. Even before my boys, I have been drawn to "figure out" the best education of boys and how to make them holy (since more than half my classes at Seton were all boys). I guess that was my prep work to my life now!

And Kym -- with 8 in a row, I imagine you are quite the expert on the subject!

And Helen and Brenda too, I'm grateful for all the imput -- my dh just came home (he's playing basketball downstairs with the boys now) and he agreed that focusing on the methods of St. John Bosco would be so fitting for us as a family!

As I said, I had been floudering about a New Year's focus (I know, it's the 31st... ), but today while the boys were on my lap as we read the little one page saint books about Don Bosco, I finally felt the nudge of the Holy Spirit saying: this is your spiritual focus for this year. So thanks for heading me in the right direction with a full reading list!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Maryan,   I highly recommend Jenn's mentioning of The Forty Dreams of St John Bosco - my eldest boy has enjoyed it greatly - we all have. Take a peep at my John Bosco, boys, snakes & fun thread!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version