Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Latitude/Longitude Resources & Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Journey North Resources & Books

We really learned a lot last year doing this. Having done it once, I have been thinking about a more focused approach for us to learn about the topic and explore rabbit trails this year. There were some books and resources that were mentioned last year and I have tried to compile those that were mentioned before as well as some I have been finding in the past several weeks.

For those participants who are new to the Journey North project there are several topics that will help the project make more sense and link these topics together in a tangible way if you are interested.
-latitude and longitude
-reading and understanding maps
-history of mapping
-seasonal changes related to amount of sunlight
-telling time/time zones

The Journey North site itself has a great resource section for educators to use in prepping students. I didn't fully utilize it last year and am finding lots of great stuff there this year.
-Resources to Explore

-They also have a booklet that you can print out for the children - "The World's Biggest Address Book" which gives them an overview of latitude and longitude and how it is used to find locations anywhere in the world.

-You could begin this week to practice figuring out your local photoperiod (as has been mentioned the period of time from sunrise to sunset) which is the calculation you will be making each Friday during the project. This page gives you three different ways to calculate the photoperiod. This week before we start, you may want to take your sunrise and sunset times for a day and give each method a try to see which one will work best for you and your children.

And no matter how great the on-line resources, I love the power of books to really make it come alive.

Seasons
Reasons for the Seasons
Greenwich Guide to the Seasons
Sunshine Makes the Seasons
On This Same Day in March (world weather differences)

Activity Resources (these books have explanations of latitude and longitude with hands-on activities including making astrolabes, cross staff, etc.)
Geography Wizardry for Kids
Geography for Every Kid
Geography Crafts for Kids

Mighty Maps! Facts, Fun and Trivia to Develop Map Skills - includes latitude & longitude, using grids, time/time zones exercises

Longitude/The Longitude Prize (fascinating story!)
The Man Who Made Time Travel (picture book)
Sea Clocks - The Story of Longitude (picture book)
The Longitude Prize (chapter book)

For older-
Longitude: The True Story of the Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time or the illustrated version
NOVA's Lost at Sea - the Search for Longitude video
Longitude - an A&E homevideo

Maps and Mapping - history
Where am I? The Story of Maps and Navigation
Mapping the Unknown
Mapping a Changing World

Rookie Read-About_Geography Latitude and Longitude is a nice intro for the very young set (age 5-7). Others in the series that might be helpful as well are Types of Maps, Map Scales, and Map Keys.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Thank you so much for pulling together such a great list of materials. We are excited about trying it this year and these suggestions will make it so much more fruitful! Thanks again!

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote julia s.

wow thank you

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

YEAH! THANKS MaryM. -- these will really help make the Journey alot more fun....thanks for taking the time to write these up!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Thanks Mary. Looking foward to a wonderful journey. I appreciate the time you have taken to write this up.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And please add anything here that you find that you think would add to the study for others. I always love new resources. Oh, and I do plan to compile and post the internet links that we all found helpful last year. Just didn't have time to do it all this afternoon.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Thank you so much Mary! I plan to go to the library site later and reserve a few. I wanted to post this link:
Earth View, which is incredibly fascinating for the whole family. Follow winter into spring and be sure to check it out on the Equinox!!

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Mary and Gwen,

you two women are awesome! Can I be like you when I grow up?

Cool resource.

I was talking to one of our neighbors tonight and her son, in 5th grade, is doing a state project. One of the things that he has to do is create his own postcard.

I was thinking a cool idea would be to make a postcard of each location that we document....what do you think? Since I'm a newbie is this even a feasible idea????

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Brava!!!!!! This is fabulous!! Thank you!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I haven't had time to totally check it out but this course on Latitude and Longitude looks like a great supplement for high schoolers (and moms ).

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A new picture book about longitude. It is a little more simple and shorter than the other picture books on the topic, so great for a younger crowd. Lovely illustrations. Really enjoyed it.

The Discovery of Longitude

Our Domestic Church

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2013 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Hello! I hope you're all doing well& I miss so many of my friends!

I'm popping in (finally) to find who is doing Journey North this year? This is our 7th year of tracking down the Mystery Cities and I don't feel Spring can begin until we've got our graph started and have checked out Earthview!

If you've never heard of Journey North definitely scroll back up to the top of this thread for all the info. It is a geography program unlike any other you'll ever find, and we learn a lot of new and unusual stuff.

So is anyone else working on it this year? I'd love to keep in touch! I tried to search for a thread but it seems not to be working.

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

We signed up and but fell off the first week.. hoping to get back this week and maybe catch up?

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

AmandaV wrote:
We signed up and but fell off the first week.. hoping to get back this week and maybe catch up?

you definitely have time to catch up since all we've done so far is graph the first 3 weeks. There are no other clues to raise the difficulty yet.

I haven't yet picked up my books from the library either.

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

momwise wrote:
AmandaV wrote:

you definitely have time to catch up since all we've done so far is graph the first 3 weeks. There are no other clues to raise the difficulty yet.

I haven't yet picked up my books from the library either.

Oh, great! We'll get to it tomorrow then. I just put some on hold after seeing Mary's recommendations above. I hadn't seen this thread before. :)

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Hi Gwen!

Lissa and I are leading a group and are so happy to be back at it after we missed last year. A small group of girls is meeting at my house on Friday afternoons and I hope to make use of Mary's suggestions at the beginning of this thread to add to the JN stuff.

Lissa and I have probably done this together at least 4 times if not more. Our group has a party at the end where each child/family brings a dish from one of the mystery cities. Great fun!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Hi Erica!! It's so good to hear from you!

That's great you got back to it this year. It wouldn't seem quite like spring to me without anything to graph.

Definitely update me if you all come up with any great "Catholic Connections" for your group. Here's one I sent out to our group about "time." Why Are You Always Short on Time?Why Are You Always Short on Time?

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote momwise

We're really enjoying Carry On Mr. Bowditch

Readers today are still fascinated by “Nat,” an eighteenth-century nautical wonder and mathematical wizard. Nathaniel Bowditch grew up in a sailor’s world—Salem in the early days, when tall-masted ships from foreign ports crowded the wharves. But Nat didn’t promise to have the makings of a sailor; he was too physically small. Nat may have been slight of build, but no one guessed that he had the persistence and determination to master sea navigation in the days when men sailed only by “log, lead, and lookout.” Nat’s long hours of study and observation, collected in his famous work, The American Practical Navigator (also known as the “Sailors’ Bible”), stunned the sailing community and made him a New England hero.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2013 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Hi,

For those who meet regularly (Erica?) what have you been doing? Which activities have been the favorites?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2014 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Still awhile off for the Journey North activities, but have been running across new resources which would be helpful for this study.

At the Same Moment Around the World (Clotilde Perrin) - A well done picture book that looks at a moment in time in the 24 main time zones. History of time keeping and Explanations of time zones and GMT as well as UTC are in the end notes. Great fold out map at end. Very informative. Really enjoyed the unusual book shape - long and thin - sort of feels like lines of longitude.

Secrets of the Seasons: Orbiting the Sun in Our Backyard (Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld) - Entertaining look at the changing seasons and explains how it happens.

The Shortest Day of the Year (Wendy Pfeffer) - Interesting multicultural look at winter and the shortening and lengthening of days. Talks about the history and what people thought before they understood the science. Includes science facts as well as activities in the back appendix.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version