Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Did Miss Mason know about toddlers? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Today I am wondering what Miss Mason would have to say if she observed school in our home. I wonder what she would do with Jillian and Jonathan, now ages 19 and 17 months? How would her principles apply in the midst of toddlers? (I hope I am not sounding cynical, as I am wondering this with all sincerity). Lately, I feel there is a large discrepancy between my hopes and ideals and what is actually taking place in my home.

As of yet, I have found no way to include my precious toddlers in our learning time without completely destroying all peace and order. I don't have to tell this group what toddlers are like and what they do! Any attempt at an activity that requires my mental focus (like interacting with ds for a math lesson, discussing a FIAR concept, etc.) becomes an exercise in frustration as the babies constantly, constantly, constantly interrupt.

Our environment is set up well, with plently of baby-proof space. However, when the babies are behind a baby-gate, and I'm on the otherside trying to focus...forget it. They just flip out. AND, I don't want a school plan the requires me to completely ignore them!

So, the reality of my current situation is that my time for quiet focus with my ds and dd must happen during the all-to-brief 2 hour (sometimes 3 hour) nap window. And of course, there are always a few other things competing for my attention during this time as well!

I think the hardest reality for me to accept right now is that I can't really even read a book to my dc with the babies around. If I move across the baby gate, they freak out. If I try to read in the room with them they are climbing up and down on my lap (one up, the other down, now everybody switch!) grabbing the book, turning pages...then I tell them "stop" and then there is more freaking out and crying, and then I'm wondering why I even tried. My stress level is through the roof.

I'm trying to just relax and accept that this is where we are for this moment, but its a challenge. I'm wondering if I am missing something. How does one implement the art of masterly inactivity, the practices of narration, the sharing a Real Books...when there is barely a moments peace and quiet during waking hours.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Oh, Shawna, I understand so well what you are dealing with!

I'm just speculating, but my hunch is that Charlotte Mason never, ever envisioned a mother trying to carry out her (CM's) principles with toddlers "on the loose," so to speak. I have often laughed to myself over how absurd some of our chaotic family scenes would seem to Miss Mason! Especially since she put so much emphasis on cultivating attentiveness. Who can properly "attend" when a little one is cutting a rumpus in the same room? (Not I, that's for sure.)

We have certainly had seasons here when toddlers or babies made calm, quiet read-alouds impossible. When those times come, I don't even try. Instead, I do all reading aloud during the little ones' naps or quiet time. (During those seasons. We are not in one at the moment--but I can see it on the horizon. The baby is beginning to be mobile, and that will bring a sea change.)

During the seasons when the only good read-aloud time is when toddlers are sleeping, I give up on trying to do ANYTHING else during quiet time. This is very hard for me, a real sacrifice, because I always feel like I have ten places to put every minute. But the sacrifice is worth it, when I see how much those quiet hours have meant to my older children.

Last year, when I had a squawky two-year-old who made reading difficult, I spent quiet time (two hours) rotating between my three oldest children.

This year, I have been able to return to our mornings of group read-alouds; but as I said, it's possible this golden period won't last long.

During the rest of the day, when the toddlers are doing what toddlers do best, I would focus on other activities that don't require as much serenity of atmosphere: art projects, cooking, housework, taking walks (especially good for wearing toddlers out right before quiet time!), playing games, singing, etc.

What makes CM work for me during these seasons is that it really doesn't take more than a couple of hours a day. If I am willing to give up naptimes for getting other stuff done (and I know that's a big deal, I really do), then CM becomes a peaceful lull in our noisy, busy day.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Not any time at all here, Shawna, but I'm all MOntessorian when it comes to toddlers, twos and threes. A little Montessori for them goes a long way towards a little Mason for the olders. The very first lesson is the one where I teach them how to unroll the mat! Even an 18 month old can be taught to sit with a puzzle or toy on that mat for a quick spell and pretty soon thos spells stretch out. I'm going to tag Kim and Rebecca to see if they have some time to elaborate. I'm shorthanded tonight with some sick little ones.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

I havent really ever been able to have an huge block of time to teach the olders without a baby or toddler. Instead I sneak in time throughout the day to give the older kids directions on seat work and then check it. The older kids will take turns playing with a little one who is particularly "busy" if I am in the middle of something with an older child.

We usually have manipulatives (impromptu often! Think pompoms and an empty egg carton or a handful of the pattern blocks a brother is using) to occupy the little ones so they don't dive into the older kids' work. If they can work alongside us it goes better. I always start with them. If I let them help with things like switching laundry or picking up toys or whatnot they are often satisfied with that attention and willing to play with their toys alone for a while.

We read aloud mostly when the current toddler is in the highchair after meals or if we give him crayons and paper or blocks etc on the tray. I also stick the toddler in the tub after breakfast and have been known to read aloud or work a math lesson in the bathroom<g>

The perk of CM is the short varied lessons. You really don't need a 2 hr stretch. In fact it really helps keep morale up here if they do a short lesson then get up and take a break. I have a 7 and 5 also. I can give a reading lesson in 15 min. I can start them on a math game (Montessori or file folder etc) and then they are able to finish alone. I will type a narration and then send them off to color a pic to illustrate it. One caveat here is drilling the older child(ren) to properly put away their materials when they are finished.

Basically, for early elementary we keep things short and sweet and spread out through the day. I avoid curriculum that requires lots of teacher direction. Not sure if that helps but sometimes it's good to get a picture of how CM actually plays out in other homes.

Kim

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

What works for us is read-alouds or some table work during meals or snack/tea time. Then the babies are in their high chairs and occupied.

This is the first time I have had only one toddler at a time. She is so curious and just into everything and when she isn't whining for me to hold her she is off getting into trouble. I find myself looking back and questioning myself "How *did* I do it?" with two, twice! I have no idea actually! I wasn't HS anyone though. But we did what we could and we do what we can and here we are now, in the midst of this messy beautiful life!

Oh another idea is to have bedtime reading in the babies room when they are sleepy or in a good mood, just put some toys and stuffed animal in the crib with them and sit on the floor with the other kids. I also did this at bathtime, but it is kinda cramped with Mom on the potty reading with one eye and keeping one eye on the maniacs in the tub having 'swim practice'!

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Oy, this is a topic I will be watching as well.

We have a list of Table or towel time activities that we can choose from. This doesn't always work but having that list of ideas is such a huge help for me.

Another one that works for us is gluing. Andrew could spend hours along side us while gluing pre-ripped pieces of contruction paper onto shapes... Even packing peanuts become a masterpiece when you glue them 3-D style to card stock.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Oooo another are file folder games. Andrew loves to do file folder games that I've made up.

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

I'm realizing that I don't know as much about Montessori as I thought. What is unrolling the mat?

And Theresa, I'm totally curious Table or Towel Time. And the file folders. How old is Andrew, by the way?

And just because I'm nosey, Tracy, do you have TWO sets of twins??

Thank you all. I'm so enjoying this feedback!

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

No, but my oldest are 14 mo. apart!

I will never forget the winter that Jake was 2 and Ryan was like 16 mo....

I vividly remember standing at the stove with one boy on each leg whining as I stirred the spaghetti sauce. I am not *quite* nostalgic for those moments, but I am pretty sure I will be someday, sentimental sap that I am

Our twins were born when Jake was 3 and Ryan 2 and it has been a 3-ring circus ever since...

And because I am nosey, do you have a blog or anything where I can read about your adoption experience? Our youngest is adopted also.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Blog?? Ha! Did you not read what I just posted?? Maybe someday....

14 months apart seems perhaps even more challenging than twins! I'll send you a PM regarding our adoption.

Just wanted to comment again on these responses. Lissa, thank you so much for the window into your world with toddlers. I often imagine that your home must be MUCH more peaceful than mine...and I can't imagine how you ever find the time to write! But seriously, reading about how you have alotted your time during the day helps me feel that I am on track in re-adjusting our "schedule", such that it is.

And I imagine Elizabeth's children born with a book in their hands! Little toddlers sitting quietly on the floor looking through board books, or listening while cuddled on Elizabeth's lap as she reads to the whole family while sipping tea...

These days read aloud times have looked more like a bad reality-TV show.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Andrew is 4 - he has some developmental delays that put him about a year to a year and a half behind his peers, although still older than your littles.

Table or Towel time was something I picked up from reading the MOTH (Managers of Their Homes) book. The tight scheduling doesn't work with us anymore but I took away alot of great info. from the book.

Basically they are activities that you only do during specific times. They would not have access to these things all the time. They are things that must be done on the towel or sitting at the table. I know someone could probably explain it better than I could.

We keep some of ours in baggies. Example would be a baggie with a glue stick, some pre-ripped construction paper and a few larger shapes for the kids to glue. You could also have some bigger pieces of colored construction paper for them to rip up.

Another might be a baggie with a booklet that you pre-assembled... include some crayons and some stickers and let them make their own book.

Yet another baggie might have tracing letters/shapes with pencils and paper.

Also Andrew has some tiny matchbox cars that I picked up at the dollar store. He loves to play with them. There are 8 different colors and I bought two packs so he has 16 cars. He will spend time playing with those and lining them up and drawing roads on paper for them.

Another... save all the covers from your hairspray bottles and let the kids use them for sorting or building. Andrew will stack them up and then roll a ball to know them down. This keeps him busy. :o)

Make up some baggies or small boxes and then let the kids grab two or three bags. They can choose which activity they might like to do first but after choosing they can not change their mind and go back to look through the bin. They need to play with those things for the specified amount of time.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Shawna, I am right there with you as my daughter is 14 months and has already begun to wreak havoc on our schoolroom, our art supplies and our schedule. It does take some tweaking during the day when you have a toddler around but they certainly can be included in the festivities of learning. My kids have never been happy when separated from me with the gates so I tend to keep them close. I find it easiest to sit on the floor and play with the littles while I help the olders. They hardly notice we are "doing school" because they are occupied with me.

Something that all of my young toddlers have enjoyed is opening and closing containers or putting things in and out of baskets. Some large knobbed puzzles are a hit at this age, as are shape sorting boxes, stacking rings, and large pegboards. I keep matchbox cars, brio trains, blocks and other toys on hand as well.

My daughter also loves to practice with a small sturdy chair that she climbs up in, sits down and smiles. She will repeat that over and over again. Toddlers are learning to master their environment and love to imitate so pretty much anything you do often, they will enjoy. I also like to give my little ones a damp rag and let them wash the kitchen floor or a tiny broom and dustpan to sweep. They like to put different sized lids on the pots and pans or to match the food storage containers with their lids.

I wanted to answer your question about the mat. The children each have a woven mat on which to do their "work". They take out the mat and choose something from a shelf that they would like to work on. The other children are taught not to interrupt anyone's work, to be respectful of another's work and to walk around the mats. When the child's work is finished, he can roll up his mat and put it away.

Regarding reading the books, I know in my home, the age of about 15 months through two and a half years is a difficult time for family read alouds. You have already heard some great ideas to attempt read alouds during meal times, when the littles are occupied in their high chairs. Kim mentioned putting the littles in the bathtub, which works pretty well around here as well. Two other ideas come to my mind. My toddler seems to be pretty happy first thing in the am. She is not clingy then or ready for a nap and is happy to sit and play on the floor by me while I read so I try to read aloud first thing in the morning. Also, in the evenings, I snuggle everyone up on the sofa for a picture book or two while I nurse the toddler. Then I lie down to get the littles to bed (they sleep in the same bed). My olders get their teeth brushed and their rooms tidied up then. When I come out from getting the littles to bed, I will read chapter books to the boys for a while (usually 45 minutes to an hour) before I tuck them in. Some nights this does not work but usually it does.

Hang in there, by the time I get toddlerhood figured out, they have outgrown it!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Shawna, I feel your pain, sister!

It looks like our children are all born in the same years as yours. We very much have the same issues here. Some days I read over everyone's learning note blogs and I want to cry. Mr. 20 month old is a going concern at our house. We have Montessori material and mats. He is just so not ready for them. The items I place out on the shelves usually end up in a heap after 10 minutes. The time I spend each morning cleaning our schoolroom (so that it is clear enough to START the day) is enough to make me want to call it a snow day. My oldest dd, at 6 years of age cannot yet work totally independantly. She needs my direction and attention. If I am not careful, my four year old will fall through the cracks. This is what makes some days so very hard indeed.

Honestly, the high chair in our school room is my only ally. I tried the gate thing, too, and I had the same problem with the kids feeling forlorn and abandoned on the other side. Our children just want to be where we are, and I wholeheartedly want to be with them, as well. So I dismantled the gate and made our school room as toddler friendly as I could. That started with the purchase of a large 3 door wardrobe(IKEA) so that I could put small manipulatives (I have LOTS from being a primary teacher ) out of the reach of toddlers, and take them out as needed for the older kids.

As for the high chair, I sit him right next to me and give him whatever he might delight in for a bit while I work with his sisters. I bought some of those paint with water books, so I might give him a big paintbrush,and a tiny cup filled with the most miniscule amount of water. That keeps his interest for 3.25 minutes! Lately he wants scissors. HA! Much as the Montessorian in me wants him to do "real work" I don't want the "real work" of dealing with an adept but indiscriminate toddler wielding scissors! Seriously, the best solution is to give him some snacks. Preferrably something chewy . Then I have some time to do some work with the girls and he is right there with us. Like Kim, I might hand him some pattern blocks, if one of the girls has some and he is lunging (swiping, grabbing, climbing, screaming, begging and yelling) for them. Most important to me is that he is happy, and the girls are happy. Then Mama is the happiest of all.

I think Lissa's advice of reading aloud during nap time is so wise. I have avoided this because I feel that there are so many other things that need doing during that time. But her post really helped me see how I need to come back to this. Tomorrow we shall start anew...

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Shawna,your topic title caught my eye. I just finished read a few more chapters of the book The Mitchells: Five for Victory to the girls this evening. The Mitchells are a family with 5 kids, in which the dad is off fighting in WWII. The mom takes in a border -- a schoolteacher named Miss Merryvale. It is clear that the teacher thinks she knows about children and would have things in better order if she were in charge of the Mitchell clan. She has a difficult time dealing with the youngest two children in the house and ends up at one point throwing the 3yo, rather difficult, tantrum prone girl out of her room and subsequently tossing a book on child rearing in the trash!

Not many ideas, but lots of prayers for your patience and that things get better as the little ones mature. Can you possibly do read alouds at night after the littles are asleep?

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

MaryMary wrote:
Lately he wants scissors. HA! Much as the Montessorian in me wants him to do "real work" I don't want the "real work" of dealing with an adept but indiscriminate toddler wielding scissors!

This cracked me up! Coming from a mother who has had two children who loved to cut their own hair,(usually at the roots in big chunks), I think scissor work is best saved for those who are a bit older! My dd will still try to cut her hair if I am not looking. She will be four in May. My oldest sat nicely and cut on pattern lines when he was 2 1/2. Every child is different. Most of Maria Montessori's work with young children did not begin until they were at least three years old as the kindergarten aged children were 3-6.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Kim F

Actually places like Nienhuis and montessoritraining.net do have what they term 'infant work' which extends from 12-24 or 36 mo. They have no scissors however lol! You can check out their sites to get ideas.

Kim

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I have to agree with the Montessori approach.
I don't do anything fancy or time-extensive. I do what works for us. Here are some of our Montessori Centers that are taken out alternatively.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Cay, I love all your pictures! You've also given me some new ideas.   

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Shawna,

I was JUST talking to my dh this morning before he left for work about this very thing!!!! I was coming on here this morning to ask the SAME question.

Our daughter was adopted just last October and is so needing my attention. But so do my older boys to get their work done! I've already really slowed down our curriculum (completely switched to CM) but it's not making any difference.

I have absolutely no advice for you (or me for that matter), but it sure was good to not feel so alone!

I sometimes want to cry looking at other mom's daily learning logs, too!!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My toddler (15 months) grandson is my biggest challenge as well. And I agree that the Montessori approach is the ticket with littles. I do find the high chair and snacks work pretty well, too. He also likes containers (right now it is old baby wipe containers) for stacking and knocking over. Hide a different little toy in each one and he is in heaven opening and closing them, putting the toys in and out...for about 10 minutes!LOL! The high chair is also good for a few minutes of play time with him with toys I don't want him dragging around the house. ex: He has a new Ryan's room Noah's Ark that he loves. I only give him a few animals at a time or he gets overwhelmed and throws them.but with just a few he will play for quite a while.
I find if I rotate the 3 and 5 year olds between seperate areas, with their own seperate task, it keeps them focused longer than if they work together.(Ex, today 3 yo sat at table and spent some time sorting play money while dd5 played with the marble track blocks at the coffee table. Then they switched. Then I alternate with "together" playtime, often supervised by my older son,Sam to get some energy out while I steal a moment or two on the computer (like now).
I don't use a baby gate except to keep the toddler out of one of Sam's school areas, which is unsafe for toddlers. I close doors to areas I can't see into to keep from always wondering where the little rascal has run off to.
Read alouds happen first thing in am, or while toddler naps. Bedtime isn't working for that right now for us.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version