Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: Can we talk about books for children? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Christine wrote:
I have found that Leading the Little Ones to Mary is good around age 5 and 6. After that I would recommend The Secret of Mary. It is also online at EWTN. I believe it would be easier for children to understand than True Devotion to Mary. I alternate reading True Devotion and The Secret of Mary each year. I use The Secret of Mary throughout the year for the prayers.

Christine~ Can you be more specific about the ages that you've used The Secret of Mary ? I know you said "after 5 or 6"....    And, HOW did you read it? (as a family? with those age children? was there discussion during? after?)   With how many children at a time?   etc.....

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MaryM wrote:
I'm going to chime in with Mother Mary, God's Gift to You and Mother Mary, God's Quick & Easy Way to Divine Holiness from Bread of Life Publishing. I didn't mention them when the thread first started because I have not used them and it had been several years since I had seen them. This week I had a chance to read them cover to cover. When I first saw them a few years ago I only scanned them. They didn't really appeal to me at that time - I think mostly due to the cartoony drawings, but I didn't read it carefully enough to give it a chance.

So now in reading them I really think they would be a good resource for teaching our children devotion to Mary. The pictures are still a little hokey and sometimes the language she uses is a little funny, but in general I think they do a wonderful job of explaining devotion to Mary and helping our children to desire it. Regardless of my opinion of the pictures, my 7 year old loves them! And I guess that's who this is appealing to.

I haven't read True Devotion to Mary, though I'm joining the study with you all. So being unfamiliar, I am learning a lot from the clear explanations about consecration to Mary in this Marian catechism for young people.   The sections on the rosary and Miraculous Medal are excellent as well as. There are great quotes from various saints and other holy people (St. Maximilian Kolbe, St. Louis de Monfort, St. Bernanrd, St. Faustina, St. John Eudes, Sister Lucia, Pope John Paul II, St. Pius, St. Pio, Blessed Dina Belenger, Pope Leo XII, St. Therese) from their writings on Mary.

It's a very Mary friendly book for the novice.

Mary....did you ever get these? I was just over at the website poking around.

Wondering if anyone else has feedback about them from having them in your home.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version