Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: About Hidden Treasure (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged  

Come join the search for Hidden Treasure with your 4Real friends as we explore together ways to live a life of dedication to the virtues of Mary. True Devotion to Mary, a book once hidden away in an old trunk, will be our treasure map. St. Maximilian Kolbe will be our expedition’s leader.

What is Hidden Treasure?
Hidden Treasure is your Marian Oasis on the internet. In this forum, if you wish, you may openly share your filial devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Feel free to share your experiences --ordinary or extraordinary--your acts of love and service to the Heavenly Queen or your questions about giving your heart over to the Mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Many Catholic brides offer a flower to Our Lady on their wedding day. This is not a required act rather a loving, pious tradition. Having a forum dedicated to the devotion to Our Lady is our way of inviting Our Lady’s presence to the Board and offering our rose of honor to her.

Dedication
We will take Our Lady of Altagracia, Our Lady of the Highest Grace, whose memorial is January 21st, as our patroness.

(A thread about the image of Our Lady of Altagracia)

Different from Life in the Domestic Church
This forum’s goal is more than just intellectual formation. Life in the Domestic Church is perfect for intellectual and liturgical questions, such as how to celebrate a Marian feast day with crafts and songs. One of the goals of Hidden Treasure is to tap into the vitality of the 4Real message board, the friendliness, the welcoming nature and above all the generous Catholic spirit which prevails among its members. We want to create a place where members feel free and in fact encouraged to speak about concrete issues that face the modern woman when trying to implement True Devotion to Mary.

Beginnings
A quote from St. Teresa of Avila planted this idea.

“It is a great evil for a soul beset by so many dangers to be alone. I believe, if I had had anyone with whom to discuss all this, it would have helped me not to fall again, if only because I should have been ashamed in his sight, which I was not in the sight of God. For this reason I would advise those who practice prayer, especially at first, to cultivate friendship and association with others of similar interests. This is a most important thing, if only because we can help each other by our prayers, and it is all the more so because it may bring us many other benefits. Since people can find comfort in the conversation and human sympathy of ordinary friendships, even when these are not altogether good, I do not know why anyone who is beginning to love and serve God in earnest should not be allowed to discuss his joys and trials with others—and people who practice prayer have plenty of both.”

Autobiography, chapter VII
St. Teresa of Avila

Sources
St. Louis de Montfort
The Secret of Mary
True Devotion to Mary
The Secret of the Rosary

John Paul II
On the Rosary
Mother of the Redeemer

St. Maximilian Kolbe
St. Maximilian didn't leave us many books but he did say My Ideal, Jesus Son of Mary by Fr. Neubert summed up the charism of the MI. (Available from Tan Books)

Mary Vitamin
To help with daily Marian mental prayer, consider subscribing to Mary Vitamin.

Topics are discussed in light of these works – with the goal of highest admiration shown to the Blessed Virgin Mary and the highest goals in personal application.

Discussion of Chapter I of True Devotion to Mary

The Goal
The goal is more of support for a Marian lifestyle and encouraging the will to keep practicing high standards. Not only intellectual development. But “support” through friendship and the good example of others.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 9:32am | IP Logged  

What is expected of those participating in the Hidden Treasure Forum?

What does a friend expect?
What does a friend ask for?
Most friends look for companionship, loyalty, encouraging words, and support to live out their calling. The 4Real Board doesn’t demand, it assists each of us in our paths. I would suggest that nothing additional is required, only what the Lord asks of you through Our Lady.

We’re using St. Louis De Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary as a starting point because it is a classic, readily available, and foundational element of Marian devotion. If you don’t have any established practices, this book is a very good place to begin. See where it leads you.

Feel free to share your insights and ask questions about the book just as if we were together at the oasis discussing ways to find our Hidden Treasure together.

As another example, Our Lady at Fatima asked at every visit to pray the Rosary daily. Are these words speaking to your heart? Do you have a desire to pray the Rosary every day but find it difficult? Visit here at Hidden Treasure and let your friends help you, encourage you, pray with you. We want to help you listen to Our Lady. Do you have something else that you feel called to do? Share it with us.

Here in this oasis, because we are so far from other established centers of Marian devotion (a Carmelite monastery, a Dominican or Franciscan Friary, Legion of Mary, or a Montfort retreat center) we will have to develop our own tradition, our own practice among friends of True Devotion to Mary. I think we should bring the practices we have begun in our own lives and share them with each other. If you already belong to an organized group, do whatever you have to with them to the best of your ability and come here and we will cheer you on and learn from you.

As part of the nature of this place, people will come and go. They will arrive when their journey brings them here. They may be called away and can’t stay any longer. Come when you can and sit with us under the shade of the palm tree, enjoy the cool waters when you can but go away different, refreshed and more committed to finding Hidden Treasure in your own life.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 10:16pm | IP Logged  

Seeds of devotion
In an effort to make all devotees of Our Lady comfortable here at Hidden Treasure, here is a small meditation using the Seven Joys of Our Lady.

Wherever you find yourself among the devotees of Our Lady, we welcome you to to comment, ask questions, and share your discoveries.

Annunciation
We first recognize Mary as the mother of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus. We are drawn in to find out more about this unique person in the life of Our Lord.

Visitation
Sent by an angel, she comes to us sent because of our great need. Mary brings the grace of her Son, leading us to sanctification as she brought sanctification to St. John the Baptist in the womb of St. Elizabeth. We leap for joy.

Birth of Christ
We begin to see more clearly the life of Christ and the great sacrifices He made for us because we now see things through the eyes of Mary. She brings us greater understanding and reverence for her Son.

The Visit of the Magi
Gifts of grace and healing are brought to us because of Our Lady’s generosity. As children of Mary, She keeps nothing for herself. We benefit from her goodness. Everything given to her is handed out to her children.

Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple
She finds us and helps us in our darkest moments. She accompanies us through those dark times when our sufferings have brought us so low that we can’t seem to find Jesus. But really we are with her looking for Him. In her presence we find the Lord.

Resurrection
More committed than ever to her, we demonstrate our commitment to her in daily prayer. Nothing seems too small or great to offer to our Heavenly Mother and Queen. We realize the benefit of this devotion.

Assumption/Queenship
The final step in our devotion: we invite Our Lady to reign as the Queen of our hearts.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 10:19pm | IP Logged  

[This post was made at the beginning of the Hidden Treasure Forum and shows how the forum developed.]

Tonight, I see us sitting around a fire as we begin this pursuit for hidden treasure. We’re taking our first look at our Treasure Map, turning it about it our hands as we try to figure out how to read it together.

To get us started, may I suggest that we begin reading True Devotion to Mary together on January 31st the feast day of St. John Bosco. Don Bosco has always been a special patron of this forum and for Homeschooling and Marian families. (If you want to purchase True Devotion to Mary, or invite any other of your friends to join us, let’s try to be ready for January 31st.)

We'll try to finish the book by May. So, that together we'll be ready to celebrate a very special May dedicated to Our Lady. We'll encourage eachother along so that we reach our goal. (As an added bonus, we'll be adding extra spice to our Lent as well!)

During the month of May we can follow St. Louis’ method for preparing to make a consecration to Our Lady. Originally, I wanted to suggest May 31st as Consecration day. But I see that it falls on a Thursday this year. I think that would be burndensome for many, (myself included), so, would you like to make the consecration on the Sunday before, May 28th? It also happens to be Memorial Day. (A day traditionally spent with friends. )

If so, we have a mystery...What is celebrated in the Church on May 28th? What will we learn about Our Lady? About our group?

Another mystery we can pursue, why did Our Lady choose the title of Our Lady of Altagracia as our patroness?
Would anyone like to try to find out why?
Who is Our Lady of Altagracia?
Does anyone have personal experience with her?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on our different mysteries.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This topic is closed.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version