Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Daily "Learning Notes" blogs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Link to mine is down below. I'm enjoying reading all of the ones mentioned in this thread.
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

KellyinPA wrote:
I can only imagine how much time keeping another blog takes up in your day, Elizabeth. But can I tell you that I really enjoy reading it Even about the undone laundry because it's so REAL:) I love seeing how you incorporate learning into a full day of loving and caring for your home and family. This is NOT to put any kind of a guilt trip on you, if you should decide to drop it. Just to let you know that I, for one, am really benefiting from it.

Wow, Kelly, I was about to say the same thing! In fact, Elizabeth, I was going to make a recommendation on the thread about revising Real Learning that maybe you could include a few sample days from 'Faithful' in your revised copy. Then I realized that that would give you one more thing to do (to add to your already long list) and I decided against it... until now !       

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

I originally started my "up close" blog over a year ago at homeschoolblogger.com, in part just because I wanted to play with a new blog platform (though I later decided I didn't want to be there after all and deleted it), but also because I was getting so much mail from stressed-out moms who wanted to know how I was fitting "all that stuff" into a day. I thought it might make them feel better to see how LITTLE we fit into a day sometimes!

After I moved it to my Typepad account, I was less consistent about keeping up with it. I think my archives go something like March-April-May-December. Hmm, June was when Scott took the job in California...coincidence, you think? But since we got settled in here, I've been better about keeping it up. I really like having an informal space to jot down reading notes, story snippets, recipes, etc. I would love to keep all this stuff in an actual paper notebook, but by now I've accepted that handwritten media just don't work for me.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Angel wrote:
Mine is Show Your Work.

I need to get around to updating my sidebars!

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Show Your Work

Show Your Work is such a great title!!

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 5:50am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

OK, I'm in ... I've been thinking of doing this for some time. I even started this blog back in November, but gave up after a week. I have realised I need some accountability, though, so I'm going to try again.

Here it is ...
Bookworm's Diary

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Like Cay, I have just added a category to my original blog--"a day in the life of". I just can't maintain more than one. I like seeing what others are doing to, but I have to guard against comparing. I went to someone's and saw that there 4 year old was doing x and my 6 and 8 year olds aren't even doing those types of things! I immediatly thought, "Oh, no. Should we spend more time doing x?" But then I calmed down and remembered they are individuals.

Anyways, mine is in my signature and it is a new address. I switched from typepad to blogger

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

LLMom wrote:
I switched from typepad to blogger

Lisa,
What were your reasons for switching?
Just interested. I tried blogspot my first year blogging in 2005 and really had no problems with it. When I'm thinking frugal, I think I need to switch back...though I do like typepad.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I couldn't justify spending the money on it and someone here suggested blogger. It is almost as good as type pad. Easy to use.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I tried blogger last year (March-July) and found it really difficult to use. Typepad was so much easier. However, NOW I'm using blogger for a different blog and it's really easy. So, either they changed things or experience is worth something .   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Here's mine:

KC's Rambles

It really is a boring, dry listing of things we did along with posts to remind me of links or activities I want to do. I've not been faithfully bloggin on it, but it's one of the things I'm working on.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

They changed blogger. I decided to do it on the blog I already have... maybe if it works out...
I love the new blogger.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Here is mine. It is very rough and messy though!

Homeschool Diaries

Also I have a "What Do You Do All Day" blogroll on my regular blog that I linked to all of you!

Thank you for this topic because I was having a hard time gathering everyone's together!

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

How do you add a sidebar of your day? Do you just type a regular post and then put it....where? I notice when I click on your sidebar it takes me to a regular post.

I'm also trying to add a sidebar for my boys to blog once a week what they've learned or something they want to write about. How do I do that? I'm thinking it's the same way as the above but I'm clueless!

Thanks!

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

Wow! I now have eleven "learning notes" blogs linked in my sidebar. Naturally I don't have time to read every one every day, but it is fun to pop in from time to time and get ideas/see what others are doing.

Lisa, I agree that it is important to not get caught up in comparisons (either thinking that our child is doing more OR less than some one else's), but just to get inspired or encouraged.

And yes, my dh likes this format for seeing quickly & easily what we accomplished in school. I think my mil might be reading it also, and that will allow her to assure her circle of our work.

Anyway, I have been working on printing out my main blog posts from last year and hope to start compiling our daily notes in print form in a binder, too.

Thanks for all of the links and let me know if you start a similar blog and wish to be added as well.

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Lissa wrote:

Show Your Work is such a great title!!

Thanks . I was trying to stay with the math theme, which is sort of ironic, considering how my oldest feels about math!

I'd like to know: do people want to read about laundry, chores, etc? Ours stay pretty stable every day. I was thinking about maybe adding our chore list/schedule in the sidebar. I originally started the blog to take the place of a notebook I used to keep where I wrote down what the kids did all day. When we lived in Missouri, a log was required. Here in NY, it's not, but we still have to keep track of hours and attendance, and we have to write quarterly and yearly reports. Since I'd gotten out of the habit of keeping the log, it was really hard to write my reports! Now I'm starting to add links because I find it helpful for me to have all that information right there when I'm doing our paperwork for the state.

I really enjoy reading everyone else's daily blogs! I just hope everyone who reads mine knows it's just a snapshot, and that I sometimes have a faulty memory...

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Show Your Work
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Alrighty... I decided to go for it and I actually like it. No pressure... just a few quick notes about our day.

Adventure Academy

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote Erin

WJFR wrote:
This is exactly what I like about using the blog.   I've had some private ones for a looong time for household trivia and personal notes to myself.   Lifts my spirits so much more to see nice format and neat font rather than my messy scribbles or a microsoft doc.

Willa
Can I ask why a microsoft doc. didn't work for you?

Dh is reluctant for me to use blogger to post my 'living and learning' notes as he thinks there is no need to use a blog when it is private anyway. And he set up the word doc. with a pretty background so it would look visually attractive for me to use.

I am going to give it a go as it is his wish, but I would have liked using the blog format. I suppose this way I can write about how on our first day 'back' yesterday the boys started the day with a fist fight

Did you have a plain background or something with visual pizazz?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Erin,
That might have worked. Before blogs existed I journalled in a spiral but I hate reading my own writing.   Perhaps it would have gone better with a word doc.   I never learned how to make pretty backgrounds though and when I added graphics it messed up the formatting (probably because I'm not very techie at all)

I like being able to link to resources but I think microsoft can do that now... and you can probably print it out easier which is the one thing I don't much like about the blog format.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2007 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Just wanted to chime in here and say I've added our daily learning notes on my main blog under "Lisa's Learning Log".

I love reading about all your daily happenings. It is very inspiring.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Hi
I have just been looking around at all your sites, so inspirational I was following the links from Jennifer's 'Soulful Learning' and I noticed that a few of you no longer have your daily learning blogs. Did it get too much or did you go private?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version