Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Summer Plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 15 2005 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

What kind of Real Learning do you foresee in your house (or outside ) this summer?
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2005 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Gardening. No way am I bending over this summer so the children will have to do the planting, weeding and harvesting. I would also like the older ones to build a compost bin.

I need some fun, summery books to read to them when I can't do anything else in August. Maybe Swallows and Amazons.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2005 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Most of all, we plan to work on a virtue this summer. Instead of picking one and foisting it on the kids I've told the older ones to research and get back to me about which one to go with.

The house we recently moved into sits at the back of a cul-de-sac and over the back fence is an 1880's farmhouse Click on Semper farm as historical landmark. It was a 160 acre settlement on the Cherokee Trail (branches off of the Sante Fe at La Junta and goes into WY). The city has a history which was prepared for an historical landmark petition, so I plan to read that and we'll just explore the property and learn about the owners.

There's also a canal and trail behind that and in our yard alone we've spotted owls, snakes and raccoons (this one has been experimenting with skirting our fence at dusk; we're keeping our eye on him ).

Dh received a telescope for Christmas so we plan to use it a lot this summer.

Then we're making a trip to Santa Fe in Sept. to go to Las Golondrinas(plus some other things; don't know just what yet). There is a volcano in northern NM about which I need to learn.

We're growing sunflowers, trying new 4H projects for county fair, buying 13 yo ds a game programming guide, and now I'm getting stressed just putting it all on paper

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2005 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

We have lots of sports planned for this summer... ds wants to do football.   Plus we usually spend time up at my mil's cabin by a lake -- so boating and hiking too.

DD is going away in June, and we have camping in July, and my oldest going off to college in August.

Given all this, I guess I want to focus on home ec, healthy living and nature this summer.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2005 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Oh, and I wanted to spend time with the preschoolers since that went to last place during the year, and do some fun FIAR type stuff with them.   I also hope to teach my olders some teaching skills so they can help plan and guide activities in the next year so the preschoolers will have more resources open to them.

And we have to really clean our yard and garage!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2005 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

The benefit for our family is my dh teaches MS/HS in our local Catholic school, so he's off from 3rd or 4th of June until 1st of August -- he gets to go to Rome for 2 weeks in that time ( ) as he's starting a PhD in bioethics, but the rest of the time we just play with the kids -- go for about 1 month to Denver to see my favorite big brother and his homeschooled family of 10 (their eldest graduates highschool next week ) and will try to see parts of the Lewis & Clark trail duirng the trip out and back -- last year we stopped by Dodge City and even the big ones thought it was pretty cool !

We will also spend lots of time camping in the Blue Ridge, gardening and I have to get all our books and files organized -- thanks to all the wonderful suggestions for books (and a few trips to some amazing used book sales), I have books multiplying off the shelves as I speak !

I've also got to get Cate ready to start homeschooling high school -- get out of the "sit in the classroom, read this book, take this test" mode and back to the let's learn this because it's interesting or exciting or just plain fun!

Thomas and Maggie will keep up with their learnign to read -- the public library summer reading program is pretty blah , so I'll probably devise my own program with prizes just to keep them motivated and having fun with it.

(A little side vent, here: the programs when I was growing up were so fun and everyone did them -- but you had to prove you read the book and the children's librarian would ask some pretty tough questions and make you choose all sorts of different books -- now it seems that you just have to write down anything you've read and you get a party at the end ) I'll also play math games with them to keep up their math facts and skills. JP will be following right beind them, soaking it all in and enjoying cuddling with mommy during our copious reading times!

Will be quite a summer!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 16 2005 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

LOTS of field trips, which we don't get to do much when it's cold. thankfully hubby will have several out of town trips so we can go with him, visit museums, watch shows, etc. might be doing one camping trip and one beach trip. i've been wanting to go crabbing/lobstering/oystering for years but i haven't found anyone yet to teach us how/show us where (or maybe it's too late already). also would like to go to Hawk Mountain Bird Sanctuary.

oh, and LOTS of gardening, of course!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2005 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

We'll be driving to Toronto and most likely Vermont this summer. We'll have relatives from Washington State staying with us for awhile. My s-i-l and I are going to try to do weekly nature walks together with our kids. We'll do some day trips to beaches probably in CT or NH. I plan on reading Winnie-the-Pooh and good picture books.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2005 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I watch my 3 nephews and 1 niece 2 days a week. I always have them work on math and grammar. I know how long the summer is and they forget information from grade to grade. I really would love some advice on some read alouds I could do together with the 11, 9 and 7 year old. Thank you so much!
On a side note...both my niece and nephew came up to me last September and thanked me for having them work all summer. They told me their teachers were pleased with them and school was easy b/c they knew all the review.
Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2005 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Marybeth wrote:
I really would love some advice on some read alouds I could do together with the 11, 9 and 7 year old.

Marybeth,
Have you read the Chronicles of Narnia already? They're the perfect ages!

God bless,
Gwen in Denver
Back to Top View momwise's Profile Search for other posts by momwise

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2005 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Gardening, nature study, and other outdoor activities, books and books on tape, journaling and scrapbooking.

They also plan to participate in our parish play, and that is an education in itself.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

materdei7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2005 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote materdei7

Lots of gardening, sewing, knitting projects, piano,
field trips while the weather is grand!!!, camping,
horseback riding, and daily Mass!
Blessings,

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2005 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

We are doing swim team for the first time this year, so I hope to have some fine swimmers at summers end . Dd 10 and Ds 7 will go to sleep away camp and a day nature camp. I have a feeling some soccer camps will sneak into our schedule also.
I plan to do MUS and reading through the summer. I am sure some other ideas will develop.........

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2005 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Thanks for the tip on the Narnia books. I know the oldest has read them all but would probably enjoy hearing them read aloud. I appreciate the input.
Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2005 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

ITALY!!!

I know I really shouldn't use all caps, but we are just too excited!

My aunt and her husband (Italian) live in a resort town on the Mediterranean coast. She's only six years older than me and has two kids right in there with our kids. We've wanted to see them for years and finally several years ago decided to forego a new driveway, hardwood floors and the college fund. Instead, we've been saving to take our family of seven to Italy and this is the summer we go!

It's taken us about four years of savings but I just knew if we didn't do it now while they are all still at home, we'd regret it some day later. So here's to no regrets.

We'll spend ten days in my aunt's town: Viareggio (and travel to Pisa, Florence and Cinqueterra from there as our base). Then we go to Rome and the Vatican and colliseum and everything else enchanting for five days. I figure that takes RealLearning to the nth degree.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 17 2005 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Like Mary Chris, we'll spend a lot of time this summer at the pool for swim team and just for fun. (Hopefully, I'll get to see her there some of the time!) Two dds will be taking horseback riding lessons. The oldest three will spend a week at a nature day camp. (I just pm-ed Mary Chris to see if it's the same camp her kids will be attending.)

We'll spend a week at the Outer Banks of NC with my parents and brothers and their families. We'll camp in Hershey, PA and visit the chocolate factory (YUM!) and the amusement park (something my girls have never experienced before). We'll also camp in Shenandoah park later in the summer.

The kids will spend time each day reading for pleasure, and we'll listen to some good books on tape and cd in the van. I want to get in the habit of bringing everyone to the library with me each week or two. I've already let the girls know that any math that's not finished by June will be continued through the summer. And my oldest will spend time reviewing math because it's becoming apparent that she gets it when new things are presented, but forgets it before the review sections in her book.

My older girls came to me earlier today with plans for a wonderful project with their neighborhood friends. They'd like to hold regular bake sales (brownies and lemonade) near the ball field or playground. They want to use the proceeds to make Christmas care packages for children in an orphanage. Now doesn't that plan warm my heart?!

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2005 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

juliecinci wrote:
ITALY!!!

We'll spend ten days in my aunt's town: Viareggio (and travel to Pisa, Florence and Cinqueterra from there as our base). Then we go to Rome and the Vatican and colliseum and everything else enchanting for five days. I figure that takes RealLearning to the nth degree.

Your trip sounds unbelievable, Julie! What a great thing to do. How right you are that this is the time to do it.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 17 2005 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

We'll enter our "winter" season, spending much of our time indoors, to avoid the blistering Arizona heat! Last summer we accomplished a lot of formal work, read many books, did crafts (not my forte,) and other indoor activities. We like having good excuses to stay home...120 degrees and having a newborn works .

Have a great summer, all!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 18 2005 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

The boys are on swim team this summer, so that will occupy much of our time through the end of July. I'd also like to spend a lot of time with informal nature study, watercolors and colored pencils. (We've kind of dropped art for the last 3 months.) We'll continue math and typing, and maybe some FIAR stuff too. In addition, we're hoping to sell our house and move, an sooner or later re-start piano lessons, start violin lessons and ice skate (new rink in town).

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2005 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

Now that our testing is done and we are wrapping up the big stuff, we will spend our summer swimming, gardening, hiking, lots of nature study, biking and hopefully some camping. Getting away for more than the day becomes more difficult with each new animal we aquire - but a small farm is what we are aiming for so we will happily be home a lot.
Our girls are leasing goats for 4H this summer. We would like to get a couple but this is a great way to give it a try. The girls love being at the barn.
Oldest dd will attend a camp at Magdalen College, also a week of basketball camp (day camp) and younger dd will attend an art camp plus she will be helping out at another barn where she takes riding lessons.
I have a few days set aside to meet with other moms at a local retreat center (one day a month). We will attend mass together and have the day to talk about whatever subjects arise.
We are looking forward to a fun and relaxing summer.
God Bless,
Wendi
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version