Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: I miss discussing Charlotte Mason! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I was just thinking about the old times on the Catholic Charlotte Mason list, when we used to really dig in and discuss how to really Catholicize CM and make it work for a large family.    

I love Real Learning -- don't get me wrong!
It's just that since Amy started her CM daily blog (which made me start rereading Home Education) and Lissa and Elizabeth started talking about getting back to CM, I feel nostalgic for those old days!

I think I'm going to be posting my thoughts about CM on my blog as I read through Home Education -- so many treasures I'm re-discovering -- maybe I can bring some questions and thoughts up here as they come up

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Yes, please do, Willa! I have never read most of CM's writings. I started with Home Education and never got too far. I've thought about beginning again lately.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Oh, Willa, please!!! I haven't read any of her writings, just what I have learned from everyone here. I plan on starting this summer (when I have more time... ).

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

I would love to share too. I just started Volume one and I admit I had put it off because I was afraid that it would be too hard for me to understand but I have been pleasantly surprised and I love how much Scripture is in it!

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

Oh Willa,

Please do! I just started reading Home Education last night. It would be nice to know that someone else out there is doing the same thing.    

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Looks like we're all doing the same thing. I took out my series around Christmastime and going back to reading Home Education.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Seriously, I've never read them either though they've been in all my houses since I was a kid - Mom had the boxed set and tried to get me to look at them once. I had the same sort of reaction as Cay's daughter but I was a lot older. So for someone who is rather phobic over actually reading these books but finds the snippets on Amy's blog rather fascinating, which book would you recommend?

I remember that Vol.3 is for Middle school, and Marianna is 12 now.
Vol. 1 is general, right? and Vol. 6 is high school. I'm afraid I don't remember what Vol. 2 and 4 are about off-hand. So when you say you are reading Home Education, which exactly are you talking about?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

That would be Vol 1. It's mostly directed towards younger children but I am finding it a useful reminder of some of the foundational things that were helpful when my older kids were younger.   I guess I didn't know your mom was a CMer, Jennifer; how fascinating!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Willa,

Why couldn't we discuss CM here? Over the years I've been slowly going through the yahoo archives because of those same great discussions. I would love to hear how people perception & application of her philosophy, especially the changes from then to now.

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I would love it if we could read a section per week and discuss it here. I'm a bit afraid to tackle Miss Mason's original writings on my own.
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JSchaaf wrote:
I'm a bit afraid to tackle Miss Mason's original writings on my own.
Jennifer

Uh, yes, me too....

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Willa, you know you can count me in!! I have been doing a big series of CM posts at Lilting House, and I have a whole bunch more posts crowding my drafts folder.

marihalojen wrote:
Seriously, I've never read them either though they've been in all my houses since I was a kid - Mom had the boxed set and tried to get me to look at them once. I had the same sort of reaction as Cay's daughter but I was a lot older. So for someone who is rather phobic over actually reading these books but finds the snippets on Amy's blog rather fascinating, which book would you recommend?

I remember that Vol.3 is for Middle school, and Marianna is 12 now.
Vol. 1 is general, right? and Vol. 6 is high school. I'm afraid I don't remember what Vol. 2 and 4 are about off-hand. So when you say you are reading Home Education, which exactly are you talking about?

Jen, Vol. 6 is more an overview of CM's entire philosophy, not just high school (but with many of the examples drawn from high school aged students). I actually think Vol 6 is the most useful book to start with, since it was the book she wrote after 30 years of trying out her principles in the PNEU schools.

(However, Vol 1 is also WONDERFUL, especially for moms of little ones. I did start w/ Vol 1 myself, and I'm so glad I read it when I was just getting started on the adventure. But I had it in my head that I had to read the books in order, which meant it was about five YEARS before I got to Vol 6, and I wish I'd read that one back at the beginning too!)

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

suzgallus wrote:
JSchaaf wrote:
I'm a bit afraid to tackle Miss Mason's original writings on my own.
Jennifer

Uh, yes, me too....

She takes some work, but I find her really enjoyable to read. It's like there is so much meat packed into *every single sentence*.

However, there are modern English "translations" available as free downloads if you ever feel like you could use the help! CM Series in modern English

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Lissa wrote:
Jen, Vol. 6 is more an overview of CM's entire philosophy, not just high school (but with many of the examples drawn from high school aged students). I actually think Vol 6 is the most useful book to start with, since it was the book she wrote after 30 years of trying out her principles in the PNEU schools.

(However, Vol 1 is also WONDERFUL, especially for moms of little ones. I did start w/ Vol 1 myself, and I'm so glad I read it when I was just getting started on the adventure. But I had it in my head that I had to read the books in order, which meant it was about five YEARS before I got to Vol 6, and I wish I'd read that one back at the beginning too!)

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to write. . .except I didn't have to because you already did Lissa!

Vol. 6 definitely start there!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Lissa wrote:

This is good timing....I walked past my 6 books (found at a garage sale BTW ) just yesterday, picked one up and started perusing. So much great stuff....I actually asked myself which one I should begin with, or even if I should/could make an attempt. Of course I couldn't answer, so I put it back on the shelf and continued on with dinner prep.     

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 1:24am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Count me in.... we are also heading back in that direction. CM was the first thing I was exposed to when I started seven years ago with my first and we have tried many things along the way up till now. But I miss the beauty that comes to our home when poetry, music, art etc are not just frills. Around here, especially with a completely hands on creative daughter, it is these very things that bring joy to our day.

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 5:51am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

This is a great idea. Just about a week ago I was reflecting on how it was Charlotte Mason that really pulled me into homeschooling. That first year I read everything I could about her and her method. I was thinking about how, in the past few years I have gone in so many different directions. It's been good - for the most part - but I need to get re-directed!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Erin

How funny, I have just started re-reading Charlotte Mason works and this time from the 'original source' I'd love to 'walk together' here.

suzgallus wrote:
This is good timing....I walked past my 6 books (found at a garage sale BTW ) just yesterday, picked one up and started perusing.     

Slightly off topic but Suzanne I'd love to know what you did when you found this set? I have two mental visions- one is that you jumped up and down and just managed to restrain yourself from screaming, the other is that you contained all your excitement while you oh so casually strolled out forcing yourself to walk not run before they realised what a treasure they were discarding. So what did you do?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote SaraP

JSchaff wrote:
I would love it if we could read a section per week and discuss it here.

I'd like to do this, too.

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

I'd like to join in, too. I'll have some good reading time when the new little one comes (late Feb.) and was thinking of reading the series anyway - though I was a bit intimidated by them when I thought of taking them on myself

God bless,
Christine
wife to dh - almost 10 years!
mom to dd (7), ds (6), dd (3), dd(2), ds (11 mo.), and baby due 2/07
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version